AK ejection direction

PushPuller

Good morning everybody!

So in short, I recently bought a PSA AK (please don’t flame me lol) and I actually really like it for what it is. But it chucks shell casings probably 10-15 feet, at about the 2-o-clock position. Which I don’t recall with my old AKs.

I also noticed the dust cover at the rear of the ejection port has some brass markings on it similar to an AR brass deflector.

Is this any cause for concern? Or is there anything I need to look into to remedy this.

The recoil felt normal, and the gun otherwise performed very well.

Dfariswheel

The Soviets designed the AK series to eject vigorously even in sub-zero conditions so they usually eject with considerable force.

My Bulgarian AK-74 ejects cases 15 to 20 feet at 2:00 O'clock and 10 feet up in the air.
I have a tough time shooting it on a public range because anyone sitting to my right on another bench is in serious danger of getting hurt.

I once shot it on a friends farm near some trees, and we found cases embedded mouth first in a tree.
That points up the old story about a firearm that "Kills from the muzzle, wounds at the rear".

44 AMP

Staff
The point is to ENSURE the fired brass leaves the gun. That's it. Where it goes, how far, and if it bounces off the ejection port on the way out are not considerations.

Don't fret it, its normal for military based semi autos.

stagpanther

I recently received a surprise package from Russia--a cosmonaut had recently returned from the space station and had found some of my AK brass in orbit!

The importance of reliable ejection - without a Martin Baker ;) or “Aces” seat - is why the VZ-58 was designed to be totally open when the bolt is pushed fully aft.

This directional topic never seems to be discussed regarding the Czechpoint/CSA VZ.

With AKMs, as long as a (extremely rare) weak powder load etc does Not result in a double-feed, ejection never seems to be mentioned over many, many hours spent reading AKfiles.

Some of those guys are Wannabe “operators”: ie SEALs/SBS, but many of the regulars are AK builders.

Last edited: