AK dilemma and questions...

Beentown71

I know everyone gets tired of the "which" one threads but this is a little different. I need guidance to help me make my decision. I am an AK newb:eek: I had my mind set on a Yugo underfolder from AIM for $469. I have purchased from them before and have been very happy.

Well my local funshop has the Saiga IZ-132 AK 7.62 for $349.99

My questions are many but will try to limit them.

What all would I have to purchase to make the Saiga use regular AK mags?

How much and where do I get AK like furniture that fit it?

Basically, what do I need to do to this firearm to make it like a regular AK?

I want an underfolder. Is this something that is easy to add?

Thanks in advance. I plan to buy this week.

Beentown

hillmillenia

You'll likely get alot of opinions. Remember that the AK-47 type weapon system is a machine gun first and in semi-auto only, your getting watered down whiskey...or vodka in this case. The underfolder is uncomfortable too...I know :rolleyes: but if you must, go to a fun show and check them out before you buy. Also note that many of the current "AK's" use US made barrels which work fine but are not "spec" so to speak. Of course the whole thing is not spec as to the original design. Good luck in your search, hell they're all fun so long as they run.

UtahHunting

To answer your first question about making it accept AK mags. This is very easy to do. It requires filing or using a dremel (which I used) to remove just a bit from the magazine catch on the rifle. It will then accept all AK mags and still accept the factory mag. Takes about 2 minutes. If you are going to use regular AK mags you will need to add a bullet guide. i bought one from Dinzag for about $15. He included the bullet guide, drill bit, and a tap. This took me about 10 minutes to install.

If you want to convert it to a pistol grip "real" AK you can do it for as cheap as $100~. I went the super cheap route to get me started. I bought a Tapco SAW pistol grip ($15), Tapco stock ($28), Tapco single hook trigger ($28), Pistol grip nut ($8), misc hardware bolts ($3).

I spent about 5 hours converting it. If I was to do it again I could do it in 2 hours or so, but I took my time. Your best bet is to check out Saiga 12 forum, it has all the answers you will ever need.

Again I went the super cheap route to get me started, you can add different furniture etc and the cost will go up from there.

2.jpg

chris in va

Despite having to 'unconvert' the Saiga back to it's original intent (mostly anyway) another added bonus is the gun will be brand new and no rattles like the semiauto AK's you'll find for sale.

BTw there's a little more to unconverting a Saiga than just dremel work. I highly recommend getting the drill and tap kit for the bullet guide. You'll need that if you want to use regular AK mags.