Ak(c39V2) ... first impressions

Duzell

hey all (been a while

due to all the craziness in Cali:mad: , ive been waiting for the STG44 from hmg to drop, but with the new semi restriction to come next year I am not hopeful it will drop for my state soon.... cut off for most FFL have is Nov 31st 2016 to order new semi's...

anyway... back on topic, at my local shop to grab ammo and i see 4 forged receiver c39v2 AK variants 100% american made ...

ive heard a lot of good things on this model (year+ after release) so i splurged to get one while the getting was good, ive never handled an ak before but im familair with them to a point

now ive just picked it up and thought id share my first impressions

the gun feels solid, but light enough for quick use, the sights are Russian norm so im comfortable with them (mosin, sks ..ect)

trigger was stable (no wiggle) , it has a bit of play when pulling to fire, there is a noticeable gap point in pull before it clicks , but its noticeably very crisp to pull. natural is the feeling id say

the stock seems to be american wood, walnut? not sure... but its clean , no off spots, no cheapening out on the wood parts , very solid and ..i like the look oddly enough

the metal parts are nitride, i have my issues with this ,had issues with this type on a ar15 bcg it wears fast ....

its cycle felt smooth, and tore it open and slapped it back together fast , solid

only gripe is the safety selector, there is no detente on safe .. only fire...
safe in normal ak safe position works , but to actually place in safe it has to click up to upper receiver? odd (per century arms manual)
at this point it does the job of locking everythign down.. but downside..so flipping stiff i cant get it out without tools to pull lever up and over back to lower. also it scratches, but ive seen plenty of others of this model and take it as a sign of use......

anyway more to come as i get to know this...ak more

15039665_1175969972482440_7855793490176884993_o.jpg

HistoryJunky

Both AKs I've owned have a very stiff safety lever and would scratch the receiver when actuated.

If you wanted to, you could probably remove the safety and file down the nub on the end of the safety that does that.

I just left it as is. It's an AK, it's going to get scratched. Yours does sound excessively tight though. You should be able to move the safety with 1 hand.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

highpower3006

AK safeties scratch the receiver, there is nothing you can do about it and the best thing is to leave it alone. If you bend the safety arm to lesson the tension, you run the risk of making it so light that it doesn't make a positive lock in the safe position.

I have ten AK's and every one of them has that scratch. It's just part of the charm.

kyguy1

Saw that exact model of AK at my dealer's the other day. Nice gun. Wasn't sure if the barrel was chrome lined or not but I believe it was milled receiver.

Duzell

@historyJunky@highpower3006
thought as much, just a badge of use, some guns its internal some it external

@kyguy1
barrel seems to be chromed from what century says in description (on site)

the safety was annoying so took it out and adjusted it (bent it .. a bit)

now its not so tight and functions normally in terms of needing to work it back and forth with my fingers

after doing this, it feels even better though I'm still not used to this battery of arms .... but thats just needing more practice and time at range

Grumpy_Bottom

Chrome-moly is an alloy of steel using chrome and molybdenum: the barrel material itself, chrome plating is the the process of electroplating chromium onto a different metal. A chrome-moly barrel isn't inherently chrome plated, which is why they list it as being nitrided (which is technically a ceramic coating vs. a plating process).

Duzell

nitiride is more like plating in that it is bonded to the metal compound

more commonly now is the titanium nitride coating as the "black" nitride tends to wear or scratch off easily. whereas the titanium one (bling..) is more durable

chrome line vs chrome molly
In terms of which is "better", the issue of accuracy comes into question. but in terms for durability id say chrome lined wins

A chrome-lined barrel cannot be manufactured to the same tolerances that a non-lined barrel can. As the bore must be drilled oversize, and the grooves cut deeper than normal ...ect

this is to allow for the thickness of the plating to achieve a desired final dimension.
(could be a bit over or under spec, depending on how the plating process was done)
though im not saying that chrome-lined barrels can't be pretty accurate, some are very good , but not to bench-rest competition standards normally. if memory serves ?

many military barrels are chrome lined ....
but at the same time the chrome molly is a cheaper process .... but can be crafted to a very accurate barrel

is a bit of give and take...just hope it helps with corrosive

DubC-Hicks

Chrome moly has no real corrosion resistance. It's bare metal, as you would find in a normal hunting rifle. That's where nitride/melonite/tennifer and chrome lining comes in.

The nitriding is a salt dip process that bonds to the metal instead of creating a lining/layer. Nitriding hardens the steel itself, and allows for the same accuracy potential as a standard barrel since there's no possibility of an uneven coating. It also gives good corrosion resistance, just look at Glock and M&P slides. You'll see wear, but I can't say I've ever seen one with real rust on it.

The chrome lining is an actual layer of hard chrome in the barrel. It gives a possibility of an uneven lining, but it is slicker and in my experience easier to clean than nitride. My good chrome lined barrels like my CHF FN, PSA premiums, and Windham still give at least 1.5moa. So not too bad.

Duzell

dang ....i was hoping the chrome alloy mix would give it some corrosion resistance ....

may upgrade the barrel then at some point :(

for now I have wolf noncorrosive for shooting...

Grumpy_Bottom

Titanium Nitride (used on drill bits etc) is a ceramic, applied as a coating with gas. Salt bath nitride, used for the exterior finish of guns, is not. I assumed, based on TiN's ability to enhance the life of "edges" such as you find on drill bits and rifling, that it would be the nitriding process of choice for rifle barrels, but upon further review, I can find nothing at all on dpms' website regarding which process they use. I will take a light to my panther oracle 308 tomorrow and see if the bore finish is gold or black to verify, but either way, it's a very different product in both finish and application compared to chrome.