Ak advice

Frankyoz

I'm looking at getting an Ak soon and just curious if the brands like lancaster, or century etc are really any better than a WASR? They all want about 100-200 bucks more but I cant figure out what for any first hand observations anyone can share with me?

CGSteve8718

Hi,

First of all, neither Century or WASR is a "brand". WASR is the rifle designation and it is imported and modified by Century, so in essence if you get a WASR, you are buying a Century gun.

All I can say is, the WASR or other "brand" AK debate is highly discussed. You can find pages of info by doing a search in the rifle discussion forum.

It boils down to that a WASR is not as pretty as other manufacturer's AKs, but it will function. Romanian made AKM variants, even the earlier imports, are not known for their quality in terms of fit and finish anyway. They can come from Romania with canted sights and gas blocks, and the finish is grungy in apperance. Added to this is that Century is not known for precise work or care when they make modifications to the rifles to accept hi cap mags, etc.

It is best to handle and see all the Romanian made rifles in person if you go this route. The WASR series is the absolute economy AKM type rifle available out there for most people who just want something similar to the AKM platform.

Here is a good site that lists the commercially available Romy guns.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/

Btw, if you buy Lancaster, which is the manufacturer, you are still buying a Romanian rifle, except that their Romy rifles are built using "G" kits and US made receivers and are much closer to an actual military spec rifle than a WASR will ever be.

The same goes for earlier Century imported Romanian rifles such as the SAR 1, SAR 2, etc.

fsmitka

I bought my WASR a few years ago for $300 and it has performed way above my expectatons. But, this has not been the case for many WASR owners that I have run across on the net. I recently examined a Bulgarian AK clone that was priced at $700 plus. The fit and finish were much nicer than my WASR but I thought that the price was high. AK's are not AR-15's and they should not approach an AR-15 ( it's nearest competitor ) in price.

AK's are made with steel stampings, loose tolerances, and little regard for pin-point accuracy and they should be priced accordiingly. I would never sell my WASR, it is toally reliable and can easliy be repaired. But it's greatest asset is it's price

MTMilitiaman

Top, right-middle of your screen on the tool bar is a 'search' feature. If you click on "search" you can type in key terms and find pages and pages of information on this topic.

If you still have questions after that, get back to us.

But the weekly "what AK" thread is getting monotonous.

billindenver

Almost as monotonous as the daily 4 threads on AR's. Still, it's all about rifles so like everyone else...I read them with equal enthusiasm. I say, if you have a question...ask it. If we didn't have another AK thread to read, what would I do at work to offset the AR read time? :)

Frankyoz

Maybe we should make a sticky for the AR and AK with some links to the old post or something to avoid future post :D

MTMilitiaman

Maybe we should make a sticky for the AR and AK with some links to the old post or something to avoid future post

I'd be all for that.

The "which gun" posts get old once you've been here a while because they pop up so often, but the AK and the AR and the AK vs the AR are by far the most common.