AK Advice...

Powderman

I grew a new toy today...

A folding stock AK, Norinco made w/ milled receiver, complete with spike bayonet, 4 magazines and a case of Wolf HP ammo. All for a VERY low price, from a good friend who said he has "too many AK's".

Now here's my problem.

The front sight assembly is loose on the barrel, and I mean loose. I can move it by hand, lots of side to side play. So, what should I do to fix it?

I noted that the assembly is secured by two pins near the base of the front sight. I was thinking about tapping those holes and installing some socket head screws to tighten the fit. Will this work? If so, what size tap should I use? The holes are around 4mm in size. What fractional tap would work? Better yet, can I use a wire gauge tap, and if so, which one?

What else can I do to tighten this up? I have a good feeling about this rifle; on its first outing today, I was able to keep a full magazine on a sheet of regular paper at 50 yards, with most of the rounds going into about a 4 inch group. This was standing, with the front sight flopping around!

Thanks in advance,

Powderman

yekimak

you might try and upset the pins a little more to tighten it up, or, ditch the front sight altogether and get a front sight/gasblock, or there is a clamp on ront sight from ace that clamps to the gas block.

Powderman

Hm. Front sight/gas block? As in, perhaps, the gas block/front sight assembly from an AR 10 or something like that?

Do you have a link, by any chance?