AK 74 Arsenal Arms Inquiry 5.45mm

xrageofangelsx

So, today I went to the big after Christmas sale at a gun shop and they had a new in box Arsenal Arms AK-74 for $489.00. They threw in another 30 round mag and took 10% off of the purchase price, but I eventually declined to purchase it because I think I'll end up saving for an AR. I'm wondering though, should I continue to regret not purchasing this AK74? I was pretty concerned about not being able to find ammo for it in the future, nor do I have any experience with the new(er) round and I was pretty unfamiliar with its availability.

The receiver was stamped, rather than forged and was bulgarian.

Drue

$489 for sn Arsenal Ak-74 sounds like a good deal to me. I have a clone, a Bulgarian kit on a Saiga, and it is a lot of fun to shoot. Ammo is available on line and at most gun shows but I have not seen much in even large gunshops and never at big box stores. Ammo could become a real problem if the imports are cutoff but there are quite a few 5.45 rifles floating atound here and some domestic manufacturer would probably load it. Of course it would be expensive.

Besides being fun to shoot, an AK-74 has a place in a military collection as an example of an impotant military rifle. In practical terms though, a .223 has more availability of a much wider array of ammo and is reloabable.

Drue

Trapp

Regret it. Regret it everyday of your life!!:eek: Sound slike a decent deal. Arsenal makes one of the better ak's. As far as the round availability, it is the same as 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r. It all depends on the boat (import schedule).

On a side note, the receiver is either stamped or millled. I do not know of any forged ak receiver.

vanfunk

I had an Arsenal SLR-105(r) for about a year. It was a very well made AK (stamped receiver) with one gigantic flaw - the finish was no more durable than shoe polish, literally. I stripped the finish entirely with rubbing alcohol and my bare hands. I refinished it myself with KG Gunkote which worked beautifully. The AK functioned perfectly and was very accurate with Wolf 5.45mm ammo. IIRC I paid $479 for it. I sold it to a guy who simply wanted it more than I did. I would buy one again if I found a used one in good condition - though I'd budget for another can of GunKote:D

HTH,
vanfunk

Jamie Young

I've been passing on the SARII and other 5.45x39 variants for some time.

Ammo availability is fair.

Can you find ammo in most gun shops? No.

Can you find reloading compentents online or at your local gun shop? No.

I personally think the 5.45x39 is a better round than the 7x62x39 round, but ammo availability is more important to me.

Dave R

Ammo availability is the only reason not to get it. That said, my personal belief is that 5.45X39 ammo will be available for a loooooong time. Simple economics. Its the standard issue round for the Russian army, and a good many others, and there are a lot of 5.45 AK's in the USA, and their owners burn a lot of ammo! But it may always be an on-line thing.

I'd budget a case of ammo for the rifle, and buy a new case whenever you get below half done.

But I'd get it.