Ak-47

Silvanus

Is an original, Russian AK-47 any better/worse than a modern AK-clone? Which one would you choose and why?

DTakas

Russian AKs are far more valuable than most clones. Also I believe that Russian originals had milled rather than stamped receivers. The milled receiver rifles are tougher more durable and most agree more accurate. Arsenal (Bulgarian) AKs are still made with milled receivers so you get superiority over most other clones without the price of a Russian model. If you want a quality Ak I’d get a Bulgarian. If you want a collectable AK go with Russian. If you just want an AK to plink with just buy the cheapest AK you can find (probably Romanian) and don’t worry about it.

VUPDblue

I agree with D. Mekahil Kalashnikov designed one of the most durable, rugged and copied firearms in history. There are good ones, better ones and best ones. I don't think you can find any clone that is a total POS as far as reliability, however as D said, you can find some that are better than others. Buy a milled one and you definitely will not be disappointed.

Puppy

Out of all of the stamped AK clones I like the MAK90's the best.

Pros: double hook trigger group, 1.5mm stamped steel instead of 1mm, thicker diameter barrels.

Cons: thumbhole stock.

The thumbhole stock isnt much of a problem if you have a dremel and a couple of hours of free time - you can open the hole up a bit and form fit the opening and grip to your hand.

Another option would be to replace the thumbhole stock with a standard AK47pistol grip / shoulder stock, but you will also need to replace 5 internal parts with American made pieces to keep it 922.r compliant.

With that in mind some MAK90's were made with a slant cut reciever, others with a straight cut reciever - try to get a straight cut reciever if you intend on slapping on a standard AK47 stock on it, the slant cut reciever needs a bit of adaption to install a regular pistol grip / shoulder stock on.

expeditionx

I see you live in Germany.
The original AK-47 was stamped. The soviet union tried milling the receivers for a few years but then went back to stamped receivers. Original russian, chinese, bulgarian, yugo, etc are all full auto.So to answer your question, any AK that is not a full auto original military gun is a clone. You live in Germany and I dont really know the laws there or the clones available.
Vepr is a good clone if its imported there. Saiga is too.
These are russian sporter AK's.
Chinese sporters like norinco are good too.

TPAW

I have an Arsenal AK with the milled receiver. It's very accurate well made. Not because it's mine, but I have not seen any other AK make as well as the Arsenal's.

Silvanus

So to answer your question, any AK that is not a full auto original military gun is a clone. You live in Germany and I dont really know the laws there or the clones available.

Well, in I live in Luxembourg and over here I could buy almost everything. From full auto original AK to lots of different clones. Of course if I want to shoot it, it will be converted to semi-auto. SO theres no need to buy a clone if the original ones have any advantage...

F1sh

I just got a red dot for my norinco post ban mak 90 sporter. I also just made a pistol grip for it modeled after my glock grip (woodworker by trade) and put a tapco ar15 style stock on it. There is an indoor range that allows rifles up to .338, but it's only 25 yards. At 25 yeards, I was putting shots through the same hole with the red dot, even with the barrel VERY hot. I put 60 rounds through it at a sustaned cadence without any noticable problems in accuracy. of course, at 25yards it's very hard to tell. Guess what I'm sayin is pick up a norinco if you're just going to plink around with it... and make sure you have a buttpad on your stock... my shoulder is blue today.

Some of the best made AK variants are the Finnish Valmet ones; Finland liked the design and made it with western engineering standards. The result is a very good AK clone made from higher quality materials than the Soviet ones.

Also their sights are better; I never liked the rearsight on the AK, but the Finnish rifles fitted an aperture style rearsight on the top cover, which is miles better than the notch iron sights.

I own a Maadi ARM. (AK-Modernized variant, made on Russian tooling in Egypt)

I love this gun, but after seeing an example of one of the "new" AK's being made by some Texas company, can't remember the name now, I was jealous of fit, finish, and overall quality of workmanship.

Forgot the name of that company, but if you see a new AK copy being made in America, it is probably them. Beautiful guns.:)

FirstFreedom

Another option would be to replace the thumbhole stock with a standard AK47pistol grip / shoulder stock, but you will also need to replace 5 internal parts with American made pieces to keep it 922.r compliant.

Yep. Either that or use your engraver to write "Made in U.S.A." on a few of the parts. J.K. :D

I too dremeled the heck out of my thumbhole stock on MAK90 to make it more ergo.

expeditionx

Silvanus,

Be glad you dont have to put up with stupid gun restrictions like we Americans. Civilians here can only get pre 1986 full auto weapons.
They are very expensive and require government registration.
You are blessed not to have to deal with such things.
We cant even get most Chinese made weapons imported here anymore.

If you can get the the Finnish Valmet they are probably the best built AK weapon. Not many of those made it into the USA. They cant be imported here with : pistol grip, flash hider, bayonette, or folding/collapsing stock.

If you can get anything, look for Valmet (top quality), Russian, or Chinese.
All 3 are good durable examples. Enjoy.

expeditionx

The century M70 rifle is built from an imported parts kit.
A USA made receiver is added with enough importation compliance parts to legally be able to have an underfolding stock.

expeditionx

The underfolding stock is handy. The century AK trigger group is famous for not being smooth. Whats important is that your satisfied with it?

Dave R

I'm not an AK expert, but I've shot a few of them, and own one. I like models with the stamped receiver, rather than milled receivers, just because of the weight. Mine weighs 6 point something pounds. A milled AK is probably closer to 8 point something or even 9 pounds. A lot for a small, handy carbine.

But that's just me. ;)

briang2ad

Weight

Acording to Mr. Ezell, the original milled AK 47 was 9.5 LB. The AKM was made to be 6.9 LB. This is significant, and about a 1/3 reduction in weight. This is why I probably won't get a VEPR 9-10 LBS) - if I want to drive tacks, I'll take out my M 28-30 Nagant.