AK-47 Question

i hear nothing but good things about the VEPR ak... though they aren't true ak's because they use a heavier, more durable RPK reciever and a heavier barrel which both give it better accuracy than the average AK.

DTakas

Arsenal probably makes the best in my opinion (or one of the best rather)
I don’t see reliability being an issue with any AK
As far as performance goes I would look for accuracy
Also weigh into account the large difference in the quality of finishes on different AKs (although admittedly a poor finish won’t really affect the weapon’s ability to function). One thing to keep in mind is that there are many more accessories for stamped receiver AKs than for milled ones. You may find a milled receiver AK you like slightly more than a stamped AK because of quality and performance but if you plan on decking it out consider the accessories you will have available for each.

expeditionx

Veprs are built with a 1.5mm stamped receiver. A standard AK is usually 1mm
stamped. Either's durability may shock you. Well made heat treated receivers often outlast the barrel life. Well made hammer forged chrome lined barrels used on Russian AK's are factory rated for 80,000 rounds of 7.62x39. Jimmy at Global trades claimed that one of their ak's a customer bought has a documented 145,000+ rounds through it. An SSR-85C built using the FEG receiver and a Polish AK-47 parts set. Still functions perfectly, and for the purpose he uses it for, which is shooting at 6" size rocks at 85 yards or so, he reports no difference in probability of hitting.

http://www.globaltrades.com/ssr-85c1.html

Quote from a post at gunsnet AK-47.net thread:

"About a year or so ago, I contacted someone at the Izh factory in Russia and asked him this question.

The answered, of course, concerns a Russian made weapon that we know is properly manufactured, heat treated, etc.

There is no official MTBF listing for the receiver. Their assumption is that the barrel will give out first and when the barrel gives, the receiver is scraped with it. They rate the barrel life at a minimum of 80k rounds. Anything else gets repaired until the barrel goes, then the weapon goes to scrap, maybe stripped of small parts...."

Veprs are the best deal going for a well made AK type weapon.
http://www.ak47.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VK762
Using good ammunition a Vepr in 7.62x39 can be this accurate
http://www.ak47.com/images/762x39mm_Target.jpg

MTMilitiaman

Reliability problems are rare with pretty much any AK, even the cheap Romanians, and are usually easily remedied when they occur.

About the only things to change as you go up in price is fit and finish and accuracy. The WASRs do about 4 or 5 MOA @ 100 yards while the MAKs do 3 and the VEPRs and Bulgies can get down to around 2 MOA.

timothy75

Again you really cant go wrong with any AK but I recomend the Vector which has a nice park and wood finishing job. I picked up one of their underfolders and was blown away.(with its quality)

Crosshair

WTH is this ""mickey-mouse" anti-trip device" that they talk about in that article SemperKnight. That article seems to blindly make the "Heavier = Better" assumption. Using their logic we would all be lugging around 17 pound BARs for combat. Sorry, that article kind of rubbed me the wrong way.:mad:

urbanassault

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt an AK-47 an automatic rifle? I though the AK-47 was the overseas M-16 (I know these guns are in no way similar) but I thought there was a different gun that was semi-auto that resembled the AK-47 much like the AR-16 is a semi-auto M-16 clone.:confused:

expeditionx

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt an AK-47 an automatic rifle? I though the AK-47 was the overseas M-16 (I know these guns are in no way similar) but I thought there was a different gun that was semi-auto that resembled the AK-47 much like the AR-16 is a semi-auto M-16 clone.
You are correct. The term has stuck with sporter semiauto versions.
AK varients are all recognized as connected to the original.