AK 47 Purchase in DFW

Barn Dog

Anyone know of any good gun shops in the Dallas - Ft. Worth or surrounding area that handle AKs - Romanian SARs etc. Would like to buy one but prefer to see it first instead of internet or mail order. Thanks, Barn.

Tracer

S&S Firearms-Call Steve
817 335-5307.He is very familiar with combat weapons.I have seen several AK's in his shop.He is also very courteous.
Alan Smith

JohnKSa

Administrator
You might also give Ammo Depot a call.

(972) 285-1208 (if I recall correctly). They usually have an AK or two on the rack (usually a lot more than two) along with a few FALS, ARs, SKSs and whatever else sells well...

Also Bachman Pawn has a little of everything--and generally at pretty good prices.

Big Lou

About 6 or 7 years ago, I bought an AK-47 (semi-auto, with thumbhole stock, no bayonet lug, etc.) at a gun show here in Houston. Sorry, I don't remember the dealers name. It was made by the Bulgarian Arsenal and was much nicer quality than many other AKs I've seen. The receiver was machined, not stamped. It shoots pretty good using Russian surplus ammo (about 10" groups at 100 yards with iron sights). It would probably shoot better with better ammo and if I had better eyes. Back then, it cost me $200 (what a great investment!). Bet they're a lot more expensive now, but I'd highly recommend the Bulgarian Arsenal AK's.

Barn Dog

Thanks Guys, will take a look at these places - we also have 3 gunshows coming up over the next 6-7 weeks. Big Lou, I have made arrangements to take a look at one made by the Bulgarian Arsenal with a milled receiver this week as well. Regards, Barn.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've had two Bulgarians. Yes, they are built like tanks and will probably last forever.

But...

They are heavy, and the wood is pretty cheesy--it's finished with some kind of shiny red stain. You might like the Hungarians more. The fit and finish is great, and the wood is nice and well finished.

Also, the front sight on the Hungarian is actually adjustable. The two Bulgarians I had it seemed that the front sights had been welded in place. I actually broke a tool trying to zero one of the rifles.

IMO, the Hungarians also shoot better than the Bulgarians. Mine will do 2-3" at 50 yards with the cheapo Russian stuff.

Prices seem to be similar between the two makes.