AK-47 failure to eject question

SteelyDan

Earlier this year I bought a WASR-10, which is more-or-less the same thing as the Romanian SAR-1. It's been a ton of fun to shoot, and practically a "must buy" for $300.

Anyway, this weekend I brought it along for some outside practice at the farm some friends and I hunt. We shot about 300 rounds and had four failures to eject. Each time, the cartridge case was properly extracted but got stuck in the receiver on its way out. Half the case was sticking out, and the other half was still inside. The temp was about 35-degrees, though I'm not sure why that would matter since I was only using a very light coat of Rem oil.

We were shooting a mix of Wolf and Barnual ammo, FMJs and soft points. The problem showed up most often with rapid firing.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or any suggestions on how to cure this?? I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

Templar

You aren't using a recoil buffer are you? Alot of the time when someone puts a recoil buffer in, you will see failures to eject with an AK.

Correia

SR, do me a favor. Do a search on AR malfunctions, then do a search on AK malfunctions. One search will yield about 6 pages, the other will yield a handful of hits. Care to guess which one?

First question, is the bolt travelling back far enough to pick up and strip another round from the magazine? (i.e. is the gun attempting to feed a live round under the stovepiped case?)

Does the ejector look ok? Or does it appear worn or damaged. Put it alongside another AK to compare. Do the same thing with the extractor. (it is possible for a casing to fall off the extractor before it can hit the ejector).

Templar may very well be right. After market buffers can cause problems in some guns. Personally I avoid them.

SteelyDan

Nope, no recoil buffer. It's just as it came out of the box, except for the "trigger-slap" fix.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll wait till next weekend to check out the feeding, 'cause if I try it in the basement I know what will happen...:) One question, will the extractor and ejector on a stamped receiver (like mine) be the same as those on a milled receiver? One of my hunting buddies has a SLR-95 and he'd probably let me use it to compare. Thanks again.

yankytrash

I'd run'r one more time with another batch of ammo. It's pretty rare to nil with Wolf ammo, but you coulda got a bad batch, or could've been stored improperly.

Thiunk it might've been squibbish?

PETman

Remove reciever cover,remove carrier assy.,remove upper
hand guard/gas tube.
Put back in carrier assy. and reciever cover. Now work the
action a few times and see it your welded gas piston is the problem. Is it bent?
If you can see a "sloped" travel in the piston do the following;
Grind the welded spot of the piston,tighten it all the way in
then back out a 1/4 turn.Now go to the local hardware store
and get an @1/8" roll pin and Pin that bitch in place.
This has been the problem with MANY of Century's AK's
Hope it helps Ya

PETman