(AK)18-year-old charged with assault in east-side shootings

spacemanspiff

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/9104316p-9020557c.html
link typically requires registration, text from article follows below:

Anchorage police have charged an 18-year-old in connection with a weekend shooting that wounded five youths near East High School.

Jared Houser was arrested Tuesday night and charged with assault and misconduct with a weapon. Police had asked for the public's help in locating Houser Monday night, and Houser turned himself in Tuesday afternoon.

Houser is accused of firing an assault rifle at six young people Sunday night as he passed them in a moving vehicle, police said. The shooting occurred in the 3900 block of East 20th Avenue.

Five of the six were struck.

"We are really lucky we are not investigating five new homicides," said police Sgt. Ken McCoy.

Police said they believe the shooting was provoked by a dispute over a marijuana sale either earlier that night or several days before. Those involved in the dispute agreed to a fight at East High on Sunday night to settle things. McCoy said it was not immediately clear who sold and who bought the drugs or what exactly went wrong with the illegal sale.

But instead of showing up ready to fight with his fists, Houser showed up with the gun, McCoy said.

Houser, a passenger in the vehicle, sprayed 10 to 20 shots in the direction of the victims, McCoy said, using large caliber ammunition typically used in assault rifles. Police have not yet recovered the weapon.

Police also are looking for the driver of the vehicle.

Four of the victims are 17. Their names were not released by police. Allen Franklin-SantaCrose, 20, also was wounded, and Marquis Hiriams, 19, was in the group but was not wounded.

The victims fled in two vehicles. One took some wounded to the Alaska Regional Hospital emergency room; the other to Providence Alaska Medical Center. Police say the victims are all expected to recover.

Prior to the shooting, Houser had an outstanding warrant for his arrest stemming from an unrelated drug charge, police said.

He is scheduled for his first court appearance on the new charges today.

Find Megan Holland online at adn.com/contact/mholland or call 257-4343.

================================

Looks like another reporter that needs some education.

"...sprayed 10 to 20 shots..."
"...large caliber ammunition tyically used in assault rifles..."
"...weapon not recovered..."
Yet they are positive it is a 'assault rifle'?

Any guesses as to what the weapon will be discovered to be?

denfoote

Gangpunks!!
Gotta love 'em!! ;)

.sprayed 10 to 20 shots.

That may not be to far from the truth!!
I've seen Gangpunks shoot at the range!!

.large caliber ammunition tyically used in assault rifles..

That depends.
If it was .308 then that might qualify.
But I gotta think that any caliber to these leftest reporters is large!!
Just like having a couple thousand rounds of .22LR would be reported as a large dangerous ammunition cache!!!
Owning more than one gun is an arsenal.

Yet they are positive it is a 'assault rifle'?

Any semi automatic rifle is an assault weapon!!

Any bolt action is a cop killing sniper rifle.

Any handgun is a Saturday Night Special.

.weapon not recovered..

Details details!!!

We already know that it was an unregistered killing machine that needs to be banned!!

Like Diane said:

"Turn them in, Mr and Mrs America!! Turn them in!!"

Any guesses as to what the weapon will be discovered to be?

I'm not even going to hazzard a guess!!
It could be anything from a stolen handgun to daddy's expensive hunting rifle, stolen from the gun cabnet!!

Wildalaska

Looks like another reporter that needs some education.

You're absolutely right Spiff, Im going to call Megan tomorrow, remind me.

After all she calls me all the time :)

WilditwasanAKiamtoldAlaska