Airweight v. LCP recoil

tackdriver

I may be replacing my LCP (not LCR) with a smith & wesson Airweight tonight. It has been many moons since I've shot an airweight, so I'm wondering how they compare recoil-wise. The LCP was just on this side of what I'm willing to put up with.

The last time I shot a lightweight Smith, the cylinder release ate my thumb knuckle and there was no way I would buy one. But, I think that was one of the 3xx series.

Haven't shot an LCP, but have shot a P3AT which should be similar, and an Airweight and I'm sorry to tell you that the Airweight in 38spc will be about twice at least the recoil of an LCP in 380.

longlane

Add Hogue grips to the airweight (w/ palm swell)

Once I did this, the gun became a real wonder and almost a pleasure. Accuracy went up as did willingness to shoot.

tackdriver

Great. That's all I needed to know. I've carried an all-steel revolver before and it appears I will be doing it again.

Sulaco2

+1 on the revolver recoil. More mass, powder and weapon weight to recoil with, but not enough to damp the recoil of the "powerful" round in the small revolver. The LCP recoil springs and lighter load recoil a lot less IMHO

Kreyzhorse

I've got both an LCP and an Airweight. I haven't shot both in the same range session, but I've got to say that the Airweight seems to have more of a recoil than the LCP.

The issue to me anyway, isn't recoil between the two, it's the ability to control the gun for a follow up shot. The LCP, while only a .380, is harder to control on follow up shots due to the size of the gun. I've got big hands and the gun is pretty small.

The Airweight is thicker and fits my hand better so even with more recoil, the gun seems better suited for follow up shots.

If recoil is really your only concern, I don't know that an Airweight is your best choice either.