Airlining with handgun through Chicago

OnTheFly

I have to travel to training in Dallas this spring, and I would like to take a handgun or two with me. I took two with me last year and had a blast (no pun intended) at some local ranges, but I traveled through Denver. Since Chicago doesn't allow any handguns, concealed or otherwise, would I be breaking the law traveling through Chicago with my declared handgun(s)?

If anyone has a definitive answer or can steer me in a direction where I can read about the pertinent laws, I would appreciate it.

Fly

Perldog007

I know nothing about the regulations you desire to understand, would suggest contacting the airport for a definitive answer.

Can give you my definitive answer. I would rather put my favorite appendage in a vegamatic than set foot in Illinois for any reason. YMMV :cool:

Good luck. I have found airport security types only too happy to let you know what the deal is on their turf.

HuntAndFish

If you are just getting a connecting flight through Chicago you should never have possession of a gun that is in checked baggage. Your locked gun luggage will be transferred onto the next leg of your flight with the other baggage. The only risk is thief of your baggage.

Shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

http://www.ohare.com/

Read and print out the firearms regulations for the airline you are using. Keep those printed regs handy should you have a problem. Same thing with the TSA firearm regs.

More...

You might do a search as this has been discussed more than once....

Last edited:

BillCA

You should not have a problem because you are a transient passenger. Federal law says that authorities cannot charge you for mere possession when passing through a jurisdiction from a place where your gun is legal to another place where it is legal.

If you are switching air carriers in Chicago and need to claim your luggage, be sure that you re-declare upon checking in with another carrier. Check with each air carrier about their rules or limitations on carrying firearms.

Be sure you use a hard-sided locking suitcase, that the locks really work and keep any ammo boxed up. Optionally, you can put your firearms in their own locking container inside your suitcase.

zoomie

Here's the peaceable journey federal law.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC926A

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
I don't know about Chicago, but I've heard about folks having trouble going through either of the New York City airports. In theory if you can check your luggage through, it should work. But sometimes, when changing planes or if there's some glitch with flights, like your's getting canceled so you have to change flights, even airlines, you could have to collect your luggage and recheck it. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

It looks like you're in Nebraska. If I were you, going from Nebraska to Dallas, I'd seriously consider taking a little more time and making a road trip of it. Get your Nebraska CCW, and it'll be honored in Kansas and Texas. And get your Florida non-resident CCW, and it'll be honored in a bunch more states (but not Kansas).

HuntAndFish

Frankly, I've found Denver to be worse than Chicago because in Denver they direct all people that want to check firearms to a single counter at the end of the line next to the scanner room. PITA if you are behind a bunch of hunters during the fall hunt and you just wanna check your personal CCW.

Flying commercially with firearms is pretty painless. I wouldn't elect to drive from SE NE to Dallas TX instead of flying just because I was taking a couple handguns.

But, if you do drive you'll be coming through Kansas City. Drop me a PM and I'll treat you to BBQ. :)

Frank Ettin

Administrator
OnTheFly, BBQ in Kansas City sounds like another good reason to drive.

Personally, I have to admit that before I retired, I did my fill of flying. I've reached the point that if I can avoid flying I will do so. And I like to drive.

OnTheFly

On a related note...

I have a friend who lives south of Chicago. He and I are going to training together and want to do some shooting. He has a new XD which he would like to bring, and I am doing everything I can to get him to Dallas with his XD because I've been wanting to shoot one. :rolleyes: He said he didn't think he could bring it if he were to travel out of O'Hare or Midway because you can't own a handgun in the Chicago City limits. O'Hare is actually outside city limits, but he was worried about traveling through Chicago to get there.

Yesterday he was in the Midway terminal and asked one of Chicago's finest about the legalities of traveling with a handgun. The officer actually said you could travel through Chicago with the handgun as long as it was unloaded, locked, etc.

I would hope that a police office would be pretty sharp on such laws...but I suppose he could be wrong. If he is correct, then traveling via airlines through Chicago shouldn't be an issue as long as I didn't get stranded there.

Fly

litauer

Getting through O'Hare with firearms is remarkably easy. Friends routinely fly in or out of the airport and TSA has not been a hassle. And, O'Hare is in Chicago.

BillCA

Midway is outside Chicago... O'Hare is inside.

My question has always been.. what happens if the some circumstances force you to stay overnight? For instance, heavy snow closing the airport or a mechanical failure of an aircraft. If the airline can't rebook you on another flight and/or offers to put you up in a hotel overnight, accepting might put you in violation of local laws. On the other hand, if you stay in the airport "waiting" for a flight, you are still on your journey.

litauer

Ahem. Midway Airport lies between 55th and 63rd Streets and Cicero and Central Avenues--all in Chicago. Midway has been in Chicago longer than O'Hare, even when the latter was Orchard Field. And now you know why your baggage tag for O'Hare reads ORD.