Airline Travel and locked gun cases

OnTheFly

I've got to eat some crow on this one. I have posted in the following threads regarding the proper procedures for traveling with firearms in locked cases.

It was my contention that if the TSA did a random search on your baggage (as was done with mine), and you didn't have TSA locks, they would be cut off. The problem with this is that by TSA rules, the case can not be allowed on the plane unlocked.

If you want to read all the way through my communications with the TSA, you can read it all below. The Reader's Digest version of TSA's response is that they will not force open a case when they know that firearms or ammo are contained within. Though they say that if for some reason they must open the case, they will attempt to contact the owner, otherwise the case won't be going on the plane. In my situation, my suitcase and gun case took a detour to California while I went to Texas. What happens if they did open it? How my guns would travel to me in this scenario is still unanswered.

Here's me eating crow
I was wrong about what locks can be on the gun case. :eek: However, I have traveled twice with TSA locks on my handgun case and the TSA in three different states never said or did anything. Such is the case with the written law.

Thank you for your email message concerning the checked baggage screening process and how it affects passengers carrying firearms in checked baggage.

Enhanced security measures require that all checked baggage undergo some form of screening. Physical search of the luggage may be required to clear every alarm, and baggage screeners may have to force open locked baggage in order to carry out their duties if they are unable to unlock or otherwise open the baggage. Travelers who lock their checked baggage must do so with the understanding that this may cause delays for themselves and/or their baggage.

However, TSA will NOT force open locked baggage if it knows the baggage contains guns or ammunition. If we have to open your checked bag containing a gun or ammunition, we will make every effort to contact you and have you open the bag for our screeners. If we cannot clear your bag, then your bag will not make your flight. With that said, please keep in mind that passengers must declare the firearm with the airline. Again, TSA will NOT force open locked baggage if it knows the baggage contains guns or ammunition.

We hope this information is helpful. In addition, we are sending the following general information about checked baggage screening that may also be useful to you.

The Aviation and Transportation Security Act (ATSA) established the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and mandated deadlines for enhanced security measures. TSA has worked to meet its mandates and at the same time provide an increased level of customer service. You can find these tips and more under the "Our Traveler" heading on the TSA website.

In some airports, the checked baggage screening process is integrated into the airline's baggage handling process. In this case, checked baggage screening is completed outside the view of passengers. In other airports, the checked baggage screening is completed in a public area of the terminal and passengers may be nearby when their baggage is screened. Once the screening process is completed, passengers are not permitted to repack or handle their baggage.

TSA screeners exercise great care during the screening process to ensure that your contents are returned to your bag every time a bag needs to be opened. TSA will assess, on an individual basis, any loss or damage claims made to TSA. You may call the TSA Contact Center toll-free at 1-866-289-9673 for assistance with filing a claim.

TSA's travel tips online provide information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations, which may assist in preparing for air travel. We also encourage you to visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

TSA Contact Center

--- Original Message ---
Received: 8/24/2008 3:48:02 PM Eastern Standard Time (GMT - 4:00 )
To: "TSA Contact Center" <TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov>
Subject: Re: TSA Contact Us: Passenger and Traveler Information

Thank you for your clarification, but this has brought up a couple more questions. First I must give you the background for my follow up questions.

In March '08 I traveled from Lincoln, NE to Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX with a connection in Denver, CO. I had two handguns in the required hard sided plastic case and it was placed inside my checked suitcase. The locks on the gun case were TSA locks, and the suitcase had no lock. I personally made it successfully to Dallas-Ft. Worth, but my bag (with gun case inside) was misdirected at Denver and went to Santa Ana, CA. During the bags overnight stay, it was inspected (apparently twice) as evidenced by the TSA brochures left in my suitcase.

Here are the questions. Assuming I did not have TSA locks on the gun case, would the locks have been cut off? Furthermore, if non-TSA locks would have been cut off to gain access to the gun case, how would the guns ever make it to me since they can not travel without locks where I am the sole holder of the key or combination?

Sincerely,
OnTheFly

----- Original Message -----
To: OnTheFly
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 1:48 PM

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the misinformation in our last response.

Passengers should not use TSA-recognized locks to secure firearm cases. Regulations state that the passenger must be the only one who retains the key or combination to open the case. TSA-recognized locks on firearm cases do not meet this requirement. If TSA needs to open the case, the passenger must open it. In addition, TSA does not recommend or endorse any specific brand or type of lock to use on firearm containers.

For more information about traveling with firearms, visit our website at www.tsa.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

--- Original Message ---
Received: 8/18/2008 10:17:49 AM Eastern Standard Time (GMT - 4:00 )

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, TSA Approved Locks ARE acceptable for use on hard sided gun cases. Is this a correct statement?

Thank you,
OnTheFly

----- Original Message -----
To: OnTheFly
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:34 PM

Thank you for your e-mail concerning TSA Approved Locks.

Under this system, TSA screeners are able to unlock and then relock luggage without damage through the use of passkey sets that are available to TSA screeners. These locks are accepted and recognized by the TSA for use at all airports where TSA screening is performed. However, TSA does not approve or endorse this particular product and we expect additional vendors to provide different versions of these "Dual Custody" padlocks to the retail market. While we cannot guarantee that the TSA accepted locks will not be broken during security screening, we do request that you report such incidents to the TSA Contact Center (TCC) so that we can take appropriate action.

Additional information on these products can be found on the Travel Sentry web site at www.travelsentry.org and on the Safe Skies web site at www.safeskieslocks.com.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

TSA Contact Center

--- Original Message ---
Received: 7/28/2008 4:39:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (GMT - 4:00 )
Subject: TSA Contact Us: Passenger and Traveler Information

THIS GENERATED EMAIL HAS BEEN SENT FROM TSA INTERNET CONTACT US
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remote Client IP: 206.169.183.128
Date Time: 7/28/2008 12:22:12 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inquiry for: Allowance of Acceptable Items: Firearms & Ammunition
Name: OnTheFly
Email: OnTheFly
Message: I have traveled twice with firearms. Per the regulations, I've placed the firearm(s) in a hard sided case and locked it after declaration at the airport.

My question is regarding what kind of lock(s) can be used on the hard sided gun case. CFR Title 49 Part 1540.111(c)(2)(iv) states "The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination". In the past, I have traveled with TSA approved/accessible locks on the hard sided gun case. Are these locks acceptable under this regulation?

Thank you,
OnTheFly​

WC145

I use a lock box that looks like a dictionary when I fly. It has a metal cover/door with a built in key lock. I've always been told to keep the key with me and if they need to get into it they'll find me.

Wagonman

I declare the Gun Case, show the clerk weapons are unloaded, lock the guncase, the clerk takes me to TSA Checkpoint, I get the high sign from TSA and I am off.