Airgun pellets

Khornet

Are these made of pure lead? I shoot a lot of air (no wisecracks please) and would like to use the lead for casting muzzleloader bullets. Failing that, anyone know of a source for pure lead?

jjmorgan64

those should work well

i have also found 5 or 10 lb (I don't remember) bricks of lead at ace hardware in the past, not very often, but i'm sure they could order it.

a lot of fishing sinkers are soft enough also

JM

Poodleshooter

Reactor shielding or various other types of radioactive shielding, available at local hospitals and universities. I had trouble with the alloy of some x-ray shielding that I used once, however your results may vary.

radom

I have been able to get a good price on wheel weights on a per pound in the 1 or 5 gallon bucket full at the local tire shop when getting tires put on my trucks and killing time. Wheel weights are good stuff but just a hair short on tin and antimony for full house mag pistol loads. 50-50 bar solder added to the mix or just dropping the slugs into cold water from the mold makes for one hard cast slug. Or better yet just use wheel weights and a gas check bullet.

TEXAS LAWMAN

Khornet stated he is looking for "PURE" lead for a muzzleloader, not harder lead alloys for modern firearms.

Khornet, I have found pure lead from a number of sources. Bought 400 pounds from a hospital in west Texas. The lead resembled a jug and had a lead cap to fit over the hole where an element called "technesium", if I remember correctly, was stored. Made wonderful .490" balls for my .50 Mountain Rifle.

A telephone repairman gave me sheet lead (~3/8 or 1/2" thick X various lengths/widths. Also have used lead water & sewer pipes with success. Generally, wheelweights contain too much tin, antimony and arsenic to make soft muzzleloader balls.

DFBonnett

You might try a plumbing supply house. Lead used to be used in joints of cast iron waste lines. Cast iron has been replaced by PVC for the most part , but there may still be some around.