Air Rifles

ncpatriot

Thinking of an air rifle for my daughter, soon to turn 16. Don't have much $ at all.

What would any of you recommend for $100 or less? Can be BB only, pellet or combo, preferable combo.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I find any of the Crossman line that is available at most all WalMart/Gander/Dick's/Etc to be perfectly adequate for plinking.

g.willikers

BBs are steel, pellets are lead, so get one or the other.
Steel bbs are kind of hard on the rifled barrels of real pellet guns.
The lower priced pellet guns are either break barrel, single pump spring piston, or a multi pump.
Both require some muscle and the spring piston guns have quite a lot of recoil.
Multi pumps have as much power as she can pump.
The more pumps, the stronger it gets.
Kind of like pumping up a tire.
If you get a single pump, spring piston model of under 600 f/s, the cocking effort is very manageable.
Both can be very accurate and can be found on sale or at discounters for under $100.
Then there's the good ole' Daisy lever action bb rifle.
Smooth barreled, but they can be surprisingly accurate with good quality bbs.
Cheap, too, at $20 to $40, depending.
They also require some muscle to cock the lever, though.
The recoiless versions that use compressed air or CO2 cost a lot more.
Make that a whole lot more.
Either way, air guns provide excellent and low cost practice.
I use them a lot.

aarondhgraham

Don't get a multi-pump as her first gun,,,

That's my advice anyways.

It's not that they are bad guns,,,
They are simply too much work for a fun shooter.

Too many actions to take (multiple pumps) for leisurely plinking.

One of the break barrel pellet guns in the 600 Feet per Second (FPS) range will be easy to shoot and accurate enough to be the terror of every feral tin can in your neighborhood.

One I found that was perfect for a 7 year old boy was this one,,,
Gamo Recon Whisper

Lots of nice ones out there,,,
Have fun looking.

Aarond

woody wood

aaron-- i was going to say the same thing-that a multi pump is not a starter gun for a kid,but didnt because mabe for a 16 year old may outgrow a single pump quickly?barrels on most multi pumps seem better quality?

-you do have some good advise as you have helped me with questions in past! good issues to point out.

woody wood

that gamo wisper does look high tech.
they didnt have half the air guns,when i was a kid.
the hardware store mabe had as many as the sports store-2-3 rifles and
mabe a pistol or two.the only brands were daisy crossman and i think beeman which was higher end?

doofus47

A secondary thought:

If you buy a pellet gun in .22, you can teach her to clean a barrel using the same equipment as a .22 firearm. Maybe that would make the transition to firearms easier?
My .177 air rifle requires that I shoot cleaning pellets through it.

Just saying.

aarondhgraham

A tertiary thought,,,

Hello doofus47:

My .177 air rifle requires that I shoot cleaning pellets through it.

I wish there was something like that I could use on my .22 fieryarms. ;)

Hello woody wood:

The Gamo has a real modern look to it,,,
Bear in mind that the barrel is a high-strength polymer with a rifled steel sleeve.

They are not weak though,,,
The one I gave to my friends son is tough,,,
And laying prone (in no wind) he doesn't miss tin cans at 50 yards.

His dad pays a bounty of 10-cents for each grackle he pops,,,
I've seen the kid make $2.00 in an afternoon,,,
He's an absolutely determined stalker.

Aarond

Dang I wish I had sharp eyes like that again. :eek:

woody wood

my cleaning kit for firearms has a brush and mop for .17 cal.
so i tried that and seem to work ok.first time they were cleaned in almost 40 years,so i used hoppes to clean it.seem kind of silly! than clp to protect.

Skans

Both require some muscle and the spring piston guns have quite a lot of recoil.

I have a large B21/22 (Chinese version of RWS 48) Springer. It uses a side lever. Some 16 year old girls would be able to work it; most would struggle with it. For the money (roughly $120) its a fantastic air rifle - I actually prefer it over the RWS 48 for a number of reasons, which is why I bought it (price wasn't really a consideration, just an added bonus).

I have to dissagree about spring piston guns having a lot of recoil. The recoil is maybe that of a .22 magnum bolt action rifle - probably not even that much. The amount of muscle you need to cock it is the real issue.

Some of the chinese break barrel rifles are smaller and easier to cock.

If cocking a break-barrel is a problem for your girl, then I'd seriously consider a youth .22 bolt action rifle. You can find them used in the same price range of a decent springer.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm not so sure about multi-pump guns being too much work. I had one when I was 7 years old and used it (or others like it) until I was old enough to buy a real gun. Anybody who won't take the 15 seconds to pump it between shots doesn't want to shoot very bad.

Besides, those guns produce a great majority of their power in the first few pumps. It's not like you HAVE to do 10 pumps to take a shot. 3 or 4 works fine.

danez71

Not apples to apples but....

I find that my crossman rifle break action barrel is harder to pump than my crossman 1377 multi pump pistol.

IMO, the spring action break open rifle is kinda tough.

I also think the spring piston of the rifle is louder and jars the gun more than the air piston of the multi pump pistol.

I dont even like shooting the rifle much and I attribute most of that to the side effects of the spring piston design.

Even though I'd prefer to shoot a rifle due to potential easier/better accuracy...I shoot the multi pump air piston pistol FAR more as its just plain ol' more pleasant to shoot. I often only pump it 3 times for back yard 30-ish foot range.

My wife wont shot the rifle because the spring action break open barrel is too hard for her vs the enjoyment. She will only shoot the air piston pistol.

Just food for thought for you.

g.willikers

Almost forgot.
Pyramydair.com has a lot of video reviews, an information center (Airgun Academy), and large inventories of airguns.
It's an excellent source for info and the guns.

kozak6

What are you going to be shooting at? Paper targets, or cans and stuff?

A multipump pneumatic would be fine for cans and stuff. You don't need to pump it 10x for every shot, and if you are shooting in a suburban backyard, two or three pumps is just right for popping cans.

Arm strength is also an important consideration. Two or three pumps should be quite easy for a 16 year old girl.

Spring piston air rifles can potentially be difficult to cock. A lower powered model would be more appropriate. A magnum spring piston air rifle would be one of the worst choices you could make.

Cleaning skills don't necessarily carry over to a rimfire. The barrel on an air rifle only really needs to be cleaned when accuracy starts to drop off. That could be a few thousand rounds, or maybe never if you get a bb gun. Also, oil or solvent in the barrel of a spring piston air rifle could cause dieseling and damage the air rifle. A wipe down with oil to prevent rust is about as far as it goes, but that might not even be a problem since airguns tend to have a lot of painted, zinc, and plastic parts.

Prof Young

Not a piece of junk . . . .

I had a cheap daisy multi pump called a Cobra. It was plastic and felt and looked cheap. I can't recall if I put the cheap scope on it or if it came with one.
Anyway, at 25 yards with BB or Pellet that little sucker was a tack driver. I killed multiple rabbits with it. Less than 50 bucks as I recall. Just sold it at a yard sale yesterday. Own a cross man single pump now that also drives tacks, but reaches out a bit farther.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

ncpatriot

Thanks for all the feedback.

She will mostly be plinking & target shooting in the back yard, maybe some pest control.

I had a Crosman multi pump that she liked sort of OK but she would rather have a single pump if possible.

I like the idea of .22 so she can use cleaning rod I already have. I will check all these guns out. Still open to new ideas too.

g.willikers

Don't forget how much power difference there is between an air gun and .22.
If you go with the .22, be sure of the backstop.
For example, 1/2" plywood will stop pellets, but .22s will zip right through it.

Last edited: