Air Rifle Question

Munro Williams

I shoot at a ten meter air rifle arcade in Nagoya where they also stock standard paper targets. I've noticed that routinely while shooting from an arm rest I get good groups about the size of my thumb just below the bull, and no bull's eyes. On the second string I shoot off hand, and using the same aiming point, pepper the target above the bull, usually getting two or three bull's eyes.

Of course, all the air rifles at the arcade are old and tired, with heavy triggers, but because the pattern I described repeats itself every weekend I pose this question:

What am I doing wrong?

kgs

Shooting an air rifle requires slightly different techniques than a firearm. When shooting an air rifle one has to be certain to "follow through" after the trigger is pulled. What that means is to hold your point of aim after you touch off the pellet. (much like the follow through with a golf shot.) Pellets don't leave the barrel as quickly as bullets do because of the action of the spring so any slight movement can hinder accuracy. Another thing that differs slightly is that you shouldn't grip an air rifle tightly. It needs to be held loosely and in a relaxed manner. It shouldn't be pressed hard into your shoulder either.
Think about these issues as you assume both shooting stances you describe. You may just solve your problem. :D

kgs.