Air rifle newbie

Lohman446

Looking at an air rifle for shooting off the deck (legality is not in question at the farm). Sub $200 preferred for general fun with likely no serious use (maybe pest control)

I have been thinking nitro piston though know little about them. Snag a Crossman at Wally World or is there a noticeable difference in this price range? Looking to stick to .177

g.willikers

Look into the single pump break barrel spring powered rifles.
They are the least expensive and very effective.
Those are my preference.
I get most of my airguns from pyramyd air.
They have loads of information in addition to a huge inventory.
Check out their video reviews and the blog and articles in the Airgun Academy section.

Pahoo

You may be in, for a pleasant surprise !!!

Look into the single pump break barrel spring powered rifles.
I recently bought a Diana package, with my Cabela points and have to admit that it surpassed my expectations. It is one of the Whisper series. Got it on sale $159.00. Rated at 1320F/S with the proper pellet. Even with the open sights, it's very accurate. Cocking the barrel has been a new experience but have gotten use to it. Will have to admit that I have not had much experience with this type of rifles and they are deadly. ....... :eek

Be Safe !!!

osbornk

I bought my grandson a break barrel nitro piston Crossman and he has been very happy with it. He shoot squirrels and all kinds of other critters with it. I got him the 22 caliber one and it shoots like a quiet 22 short rimfire.

Kvon2

I've had good experiences with pyramid air as well.

I've always had gamo air rifles for casual back yard shooting and never had any problems.

Now that you mention it maybe I could use a new one...

kozak6

Unless you want to hunt, you don't really need a 1000+ fps air rifle.

Something a little lower powered will be easier to cock and shoot.

I think 600 fps is a reasonable floor, although a little more wouldn't hurt.

g.willikers

My favorite air rifle for home practice is a 550 f/s Gamo model.
It was on sale for half price and came with a 4x power scope.
At my maximum available distance of 20 yards, hitting the corks from wine bottles is a given.

cslinger

I do realize that folks do have hard and fast budget constraints but if you are able to stretch your budget by 100 bucks you can get what is quite possibly the best, most enjoyable air rifle you can get and you will most certainly be get more then that hundred back in quality and feel and shootabily. You also get an AWESOME trigger.

Take a look at the Weihrauch HW30s. I believe they are 290 at airguns of Arizona.

When I say my HW30s are better in almost every way then my Ruger 10/22s I mean it.

Most cheaper spring guns, especially those that advertise 1000 FPS etc are not easy to shoot and tend not to be made all that well.

IMO the hundred bucks extra moves you from a toy to a gun. Not that you cannot have loads of fun with a toy mind you.

Also I think, if it matters at all, the Summit rifles are made in China. Not all Crosman products are US made.

Last edited:

cslinger

As for the ancillary stuff.
-make sure you use a spring gun rated scope. Hawke makes pretty good stuff as does Leapers in the airguns realm that are affordable.

-airguns, like firearms, make like a particular pellet and using the cheapest stuff will not likely give you the best accuracy. Crosman premiers work well for me across the board and are available and economical. My favorite load is usually H&N Field Target Trophy. In my pistols RWS Meisterkulgn works best.

-run a tin of whatever through it to break it in. It may diesel a bit early on. No worries it will work itself out. Don't get discouraged if early results are not great. Most air guns need some break in to settle down.

-use a light hold. Let the rifle recoil, don't try to control it. The goal is to let the rifle sort of move around on firing the same way each time. Follow through is HUGELY important.

All in all being a good rifle shooter will NOT make you a good spring gun shooter. Being a good spring gun shooter WILL make you a better rifle shooter.

Lohman446

I had leaned towards nitro pistons - just because. Once I enter the world of springers (I know the NP is effectively a springer) is there and advantage to the HW30s vs the RWS34 or even the Hatsan 95. I'm not overly concerned about cocking effort

cslinger

The Diana 34 is an awesome spring gun with more Power than the HW30s. In my opinion this power is wasted if the primary purpose is plinking. More power usually equates to more hold sensitivity and more difficulty shooting.

The HW30/Beeman R7 sort of hits that perfect spot. It is crazy easy to cock, very quiet, very smooth, is very easy to shoot and is very accurate. It will pest in a pinch as well.

Both the Diana and the HW are leaps and bounds better in most tangible ways then the Crosman. I don't have any first hand experience with Hatsan.

Best advice I can give is don't get hung up on velocity. We are Americans. We have real guns for that. :). A nice low to mid powered spring gun is a thing of joy.

If it were me and I could only have one air rifle it would be one of my HW30s, probably one off the 177s.

Admittedly this was only around 10m but I was still very happy with this. My HW30s's all shoot fantastically out to about 35m or so but at about 40m my skill drops off considerably with spring guns. I do have an HW97 that makes me look pretty good at 50 yards.

HW30s 10m 6 shots, pellet for scale
IMG_5873_zpsb44a5632.jpg

IMG_83882_zps30c6089d.jpg

Last edited:

Lohman446

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_Terrus_Air_Rifle_Kit_Wood/3812

Seems how I think you are willing to indulge me at least one more question (Thank you BTW) what of the Walther German built air rifles? Apparently I have decided that I can live with German or American built as the preferred options :). This one drew me in because of the pricing for a German springer and because I have not totally taken your advice on FPS to heart (sorry, know I probably should but haven't). It seems like a better reviewed scope compared to some of the others.

cslinger

Happy to indulge. I have thing for pretty much anything with a trigger that expels a projectile and my airguns are as much of a hobby as my powder burners. I have airguns that I have a comparatively obscene amount of money in because I really enjoy them both for there tangible attributes as well as the intangible pride of ownership stuff. Its also kinda fun when you bring these to the range and in a see of tricked out AR15s (I am guilty too, not judging :D) the AR guys all want to come see what the "bb gun" and are amazed at the trigger, quality and accuracy.

I probably enjoy this AirArms rifle as much or more then the great majority of my "real" guns.
IMG_9453_Pro_sport_1_zps5feydvk8.jpg

I've never actually owned a Walther airgun. Most folks seem very happy with the various Walther Air Rifle options out there. I think the LGV may have had some trigger issue here and their IIRC. The LGU is suppossed to basically shoot like an Air Arms TX200 (which is to say awesome).

If you use the code FREEDOM-17 that brings that Terrus package down to like $293. Honestly that seems like a solid deal, although I cannot speak specifically for the Terrus.

Chris

Last edited:

Lohman446

That is a beautiful stock on that rifle. I read on the Walther where the complaint some people have on it is the stock is not as well finished as it could be. I am going to guess that is not a factory finish job on that rifle either there. I figured I could redo a stock if need be

cslinger

It's likely a decent beech stock. I doubt you will be disappointed and like you said it's just a refinish project if you want.

The stock on that Air Arms is as it came out of the box with just a little Ballistol rubbed in.

Gateway to airguns is a great sight to research. Good folks. http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/

Last edited:

Slopemeno

I like the 12-ft/lbs region break-barrel springers. Cheap, since everyone wants that 1000 fps number now, and pretty pleasant to cock and shoot. I recently shot a Ruger Airhawk and while twangy, it shot well.

Snyper

Unless you want to hunt, you don't really need a 1000+ fps air rifle.

Something a little lower powered will be easier to cock and shoot.

I think 600 fps is a reasonable floor, although a little more wouldn't hurt.
Those high speeds are usually a .177 caliber using the lightest pellets available.
Most .22's won't get that velocity, and most heavier pellets won't either.