Air dents as opposed to lube dents

condor bravo

Excessive case lubricant is not always to blame for case denting below the shoulder. These dents are also caused by trapped air. I have that happening frequently with Winchester .308 cases but not others like Remington, PMC, Norma and Federals. The dents occur on the body just below the shoulder and are more pronounced than lube dents (denting by excessive lube has been positively eliminated). With the Winchester cases the dents occur about 75% of the times. The die is a SAECO and DOES NOT HAVE a vent hole. Cases form a snug fit within the die since shoulder contact must be made during sizing. Some sources indicate that the vent hole in the sizing die is to release trapped air. I was never convinced that the vent hole was primarily intended to prevent lube dents.

us920669

Interesting, I just had my first one, on a 416 Ruger that hadn't even been fired yet. I figured it was like that in the bag. Looked odd, very sharp and severe, just below the shoulder.

F. Guffey

I make a special effort to avoid creating the illusion 'I made up the story'. Like Clint Eastwood said "I know pigeons". I know something about the difference between fact and fiction, truth and nonsense.

Air dents; we are talking about things that are fluid and flows. Lube is a fluid, it flows; but lube can not be compressed, lube is a solid. And then there is air, air is a fluid because it flows but air is not a solid; air can be compressed.

I do not know how fast the ram is being raised; the fastest press in the world is in Arlington, TX. If it was possible to create air dents when sizing a case it would have happened with that press. As fast as that press is no dents are created; air flows out the top and bottom of the die as it is being compressed. How strong is ‘the’ presses?

No reloading press could withstand the trip when he added the hydraulics. That left him with starting over with a press that did not exist.

F. Guffey

9x45

Air is a gas, and like most gasses, can be highly compressed, however, fluids, in general, are nearly incompressible. That's why they are air compressors and hydraulic jacks.

F. Guffey

9x45, thank you for that. Is there a chance we could figure a way to float a case in a die with air to eliminate the need for lube?;)

Or is there a way we can use air to release a stuck case?:rolleyes:

F. Guffey

us920669

I don't know. I know I've got a case with something I've never seen before, and that's why I was surprised to read the post. Lube dents look like bubbles or blisters, this thing looks like a crease. We're leaving town at the moment but I will try to get a picture of it. I have had trouble with pictures because they're too big or something - something else I don't understand.

wogpotter

I'd think that air, being fairly thin & free flowing, would simply rush out of the little hole in the die body?:rolleyes:

F. Guffey

this thing looks like a crease. We're leaving town at the moment but I will try to get a picture of it. I have had trouble with pictures because they're too big or something - something else I don't understand.

Years ago I was told all I had to do was etc., etc.. And then this young lady attended finish school; I asked her what she learned in finishing school; anyhow she saved me a lot of time and some big bucks.

I do not know what cases you are sizing nor do I know what die you are using. I was told all I had to do when forming cases was to use the full length sizing die as the forming die etc, etc. Using the full length sizing die when forming cases is a bad habit. I started using forming dies, it did not take long to pay for the forming dies when I was paying 8 cents to 10 cents for pull down and or once fired cases.

By following instructions that started with “all you have to do is etc” I made some ugly cases. And then I was told all I had to do with the creased cases was to fire them and then, like magic the dents/creases would just pop out.

I was at the range about to fire those ugly cases when the shooter next to me said tell me you are not going to fire those ugly cases; so I said “I am not going to fire those ugly cases”. And then I fired them. The shooter next to me said to me I thought you said you were not going to fire those cases. And then I replied, You told me to say I was not going to fire those ugly cases so in an attempt to get along with you I said what you wanted me to day.

The creases did not pop out, the creases got tighter. Anyhow, it was about that time I realized the benefit of attending finishing school; or having a good understanding what is taught at finishing school.

I have resource people that build bench rest type rifles with wildcat chambers. If they could form cases without creases and dents they would not need me.

F. Guffey

condor bravo

us920669
It sounds like you are describing a crease as a result of a manufacturing defect rather than a dent. It's strange that I am only getting these with Winchester cases, but not 100% of the time. Lube denting has been completely eliminated as the cause. These dents resemble lube denting but somewhat more pronounced, which is to say covering more of an area than usual. Can't post a photo since this little tablet affair I am using doesn't seem to cooperate.

Does anyone find any merit to the likelihood of air denting? Since it has been said that the vent hole is for the purpose of releasing trapped air, what would be the purpose if trapped air wasn't responsible for a problem?

Last edited:

F. Guffey

I'd think that air, being fairly thin & free flowing, would simply rush out of the little hole in the die body

He claimed he had a die without the hole. I am about 600 feet above sea level. I doubt getting closer to sea level would increase pressure, I would think the pressure inside the case would be equal. And then there could be a benefit to using dies with all these variations an tolerance that only fit where they touch. That story starts with "you have to send them 5 fired cases from your gun".

F. Guffey

us920669

Being 416 Ruger the dies and cases are of necessity Hornady, and very fine they are, based on their price. The die does have a vent hole. I was not forming but merely running them through the die to get the necks right. Oddly and to my great embarrassment, I had 3 stuck cases out of 50, but this was because the room was far colder than ever before and my lube turned to glue. I thought I had it aced with my trusty hair dryer, my new go-to tool, but I must have let too much time pass on that third one. At any rate I got them done and found the defect, which may have been on the case right out of the bag.
I thought I had time for a picture but the camera batteries are dead. I have to get my pictures on to "My Hosted Pictures" and then enter the URL code to get them on Firing Line, but half the time My Hosted Pictures thinks the picture are somehow too big. I worked around technology (old tech) for 40 odd years so I agree, air compresses but fluid doesn't. Of course, I didn't go to finishing school so I guess I'm unfinished.

Slamfire

I lube my rifle cases in a separate Thumler's Tumbler by tumbling the cases with a lube saturated patch. Sometimes I get too much lube on the cases, but regardless, just before the case goes into the sizing die, I wipe the neck and shoulder with a paper towel. I have eliminated all lube dents on my rifle cases by wiping.
Accumulation of lube in a sizing die will cause dents, will cause dents whether or not you have a weep hole or not. I have not found this to be true in my rifle chambers with grease or oil. This is due to the fact that in a rifle chamber, pressure inside the case causes the case to expand outward, and the thinnest parts of the case expand first. So regardless that oils and greases are incompressible (all things being considered this is true, but stack enough weight, fluids will compress) they still flow, and they flow within the chamber.
I tested the proposition that greases and oil pinch the case neck, prevent the case neck from expanding in the chamber, and thus "dangerously raise pressures".

Greased Rounds Test in 45/70 and 30-06

These rounds were fired as sighting shots, to zero rifle. Bullets and chamber absolutely free from grease.

30-06 M98 Match Rifle 26" 1-10 Wilson Barrel

168 gr Nosler Match 47.0 IMR 4895 thrown lot L7926 LC53 WLR (brass) OAL 3.30"

13 Aug 2014 T = 80 °F

Ave Vel = 2619
Std Dev = 29
ES = 72
High = 2644
Low = 2572
N = 5

I subsequently shot a group which the bullets were not greased, but there was most certainly some grease residue left in the chamber from previous rounds.
168 gr Nosler Match 47.0 IMR 4895 thrown lot L7926 FA60 CCI #34 OAL 3.30"

grease in chamber from greased rounds

13 Aug 2014 T = 80 °F

Ave Vel = 2691
Std Dev = 30
ES = 81
High = 2742
Low = 2661
N = 7

Group Size: 9 rounds on target. 89-4X on MR 31 target

Greased bullets before and after firing

Initial rounds gave spurious reading across the chronograph which I wish they could have been true, for my chronograph was providing readings of 3000 fps. Velocities this high would be incredible for this load and bullet. If it had been real, and without pressure signs, the next thing I would have done was test the combination at long range. If the accuracy stayed excellent, if I could get 400 fps more velocity just by greasing the bullet, it would have been my secret. But I suspected instrumentation error and that is what it turned out to be. I moved the chronograph two feet + further from the muzzle and continued with my testing. On previous shooting sessions , when the chronograph was too close to the muzzle, or shooting magnum cartridges, or black powder, gunpowder residue crossed over the screens and created physically impossible velocity readings or displays of “err1”. As an example, I had to move my chronograph out to around 20 -25 yards to get any black powder musket velocities. The amount of powder residue blown out of the musket caused instrumentation error. For this test, I believe a mass of grease, or grease plume, created sensor error. This is why the number of shots on the targets do not correspond with the numbers in the chronograph data.

168 gr Nosler Match 47.0 IMR 4895 thrown lot L7926 FA/LC cases WLR (brass) OAL 3.30"

Greased to case shoulders by dip and twist with Lubriplate AA130

13 Aug 2014 T = 80 °F

Ave Vel = 2650 2658 2675
Std Dev = 16 2669 2642
ES = 46 2636 2629
High = 2675 2642
Low = 2629 2645
N = 8

Shot #5: grease beyond case shoulder, Shot #8 very heavily greased,

Shot #8, “Big Grease” before and after firing

At 100 yards I am of the opinion that the grease on the bullets did not cause any difference in accuracy or velocity and I did not observe any pressure indications.

General Hatcher, in his book, Hatcher's Notebook repeated an Army theory that greased bullets “dangerously” raised pressures because grease is incompressible, and that grease around the case neck “pinched” the case neck. This claim was made prior to the 1921 National Matches. While higher pressures should always give higher velocities, given that PV = nRT, pressure increases due to a thin grease layer do not follow a power law unless the volume is decreased exponentially. Without pressure measuring capabilities the only means I have of estimating pressure are inferences created after reviewing velocities, primer indications, (blown, leaking, primers, expanded primer pockets), and sticky bolt lift. I encountered none of these in any of my testing. It is possible that had I plugged the bore with grease, creating a bore obstruction, I would have experienced high pressure indications, but even so, given the huge mass of Lubriplate AA130 I put on the cartridges, if the Army’s claims were true about bullet pinching, I should have replicated the pressure problems. But I did not and I never have. This is not the first time I have shot greased cases, just the first time I have photographed greased cases, and it is the first time I have chronographed greased bullets. If, as the Army claimed, the case necks were prevented from expanding I should be able to measure this. I have measured the diameter of case necks, after firing with grease coatings, and the differences in diameter between dry and greased is within my measuring capabilities. I can’t measure a difference.

Primers of fired, greased rounds.

I would expect slightly higher velocities for the greased bullets, because ammunition technicians told me that in their laboratories they measured higher velocities at the same pressures for moly bullets. But given the small sample size in my shot strings, I can’t prove that one way or another. I look at the slight differences in velocities that I had for dry chamber, slightly greasy chamber, and greased chamber, as being all within the three sigma limits of what I would expect for that cartridge with that charge. That is, I don’t believe there is any significant velocity difference between any of my data strings, even though there are differences in the averages, but those are what you would normally see in velocity/pressure variations within the total population. So, based on velocities, I don’t see any evidence that grease on the case neck “pinches” the bullet.

What is totally wrong about the Army theory on “pinching” is the assumption that grease is immovable. Grease may be incompressible, but it is certainly not immovable. Under pressure, grease will flow. If it did not wheel bearings would have trouble rotating. With small arms cartridges the grease will flow because of the differences in metal thickness from the front and back of the case. Cases are thin at the front and thicken towards the case head. The whole combustion event is faster than human perception, thus is seems instantaneous, but it is not. Combustion pressures take a finite amount of time to climb to maximum pressure. It can be assumed at each moment in time, the pressure within the whole case is the same, but of course, as time increases, the pressures increase. As pressures increase, the thinner parts of the case expand first, and as pressures increase more, the thicker sections expand last. This has the effect of squeezing the grease, some into the throat, and some out the action. I tried measuring the OD of the case mouths, to measure film thickness, and the layer is so thin, I can’t measure a significant difference with my measuring equipment. Between dry and lubricated cases, the case mouth expansion measurements are indistinguishable.

Slamfire

Due to the six picture limitation I am having to break my reply into two posts.

As can be seen in these pictures, the huge excesses of grease that I applied are squeezed out back of the case, filling the extractor groove in the process. There are no grease dents on the shoulders showing that the thin walls of the case expand first and evenly, and whatever grease is on the outside of the case, is moved towards the base. I believe some grease went up the barrel but since it was blown out, no evidence remains. However the grease in the extractor groove and chamber show that grease, while being incompressible, is not immovable.

Grease is squeezed into the action areas making for a very messy rifle.

I pictured this same phenomena with my 1873 Trapdoor. Here are 45/70 cases heavily greased after dipping and twisting.

The first cartridge to be fired is in the left picture, and a greased, fired case is in the right. Notice how much grease is in the action after a number of these heavily greased rounds have been fired.

A tray of fired, ungreased 45-70’s on right, greased fired 45-70 on left.

Ungreased on left, greased on right

There were case dents due to the powder particles. Powder particles are hard and will press a dent into the case. Dirt is also hard and not only dent the case, but scratch the chamber. This is one reason the Army wanted to get grease out of their rifles and machine cannons. Grease and oils attract dirt. I think the Army was tired of repairing rifles with scratched chambers and barrels back in the day when everyone greased their bullets, so when Major Townsend Whelen convinced the Army hierarchy that he had solved the problem of bullet fouling, the Council of Colonels told him to "prove the evils of grease". Which he and his minions at Frankfort Arsenal did so, producing a false study with ridiculous data that "proved" that grease dangerously raised combustion pressures. This 1920 study is considered gospel by huge swathes of the shooting community, even though the historical record proves otherwise, and that this is a testable proposition.

For several decades, I have been skeptical of Hatcher’s/Army claims of combustion pressure increases due to greased bullets, greased cases. Nothing to date has really convinced me that their blaming greased bullets for blown rifles was anything but a cover up of structurally weak 03 receivers and poorly made US Army ammunition.

F. Guffey

And then there is me. I have always said I want nothing between the case and chamber but air, and then I qualified the air as being clean air. I understand the Japanese had problems with at least one of the machine guns. It just did not work unless they greased their ammo. With all the bombs bursting in air and on the ground; then there were hand grenades, mortars and beaches and islands of abrasive material and silica sand.

I did mention the fastest press and air locks or air trapped between the case and die. And then we add pressure with grease trapped between the case and chamber. Who knows how much pressure? 40,000 psi plus. I could say “Think about it”; grease squirting out from between the case and chamber with dirt grit and grime at that pressure could cut metal. I believe greasing your cases or firing cases with sizing lube on the case is a bad habit.

I understand the pendulum going back and forth on bench rester forums.

Again; all I want between my case and the chamber is air, I do not want a lot of air but I do want clean air.

I do not want a lot of air

And there is a reason for that.

F. Guffey

Condor Bravo said:
Lube denting has been completely eliminated as the cause.

How was that elimination done? The only way I can think to do it is to clean and dry the sizing die thoroughly with solvent between sizing each case, and making sure each case is has only the thinnest film of lube on it. Getting dents under that circumstance would be odd.

With a back of the napkin guess, I suspect you would have to compress air that has something like 30 times the volume of the dent down to the size of the dent in order for it to have enough pressure to make the dent. Something on the order of 500 psi. But I don't know the actual geometry of your dent, so that could be off 2:1 in either direction. Still, it's a lot of air to cram in there, so I think it is something else, and unless you cleaned the die between cases, the most likely suspect is left over lube getting flowed into that small space.

condor bravo

Yes, that is exactly how the elimination was done. After that then applying a light coating of RCBS lube 2 to the bottom half inch of the case for sizing. Then the denting immediately continued as before, about 75% denting with only Winchester cases. Up to the point of thoroughly cleaning the die, I was assuming that the dents were probably just from lubing but my lubing technique about always prevents that with any and all rifle cases. Then when it finally struck home that it was only happening with Winchester cases, decided to thoroughly clean and dry the sizing die and try to determine what was happening. Results remained exactly the same as before. As pointed out, the SAECO sizing die does not have a vent hole. The denting below the shoulder would appear at different points around the circumference of each individual case rather than at about the same place for each case as noted when withdrawing the cases from the die. Then one to three cases maybe would not be dented.

Slamfire

And then there is me. I have always said I want nothing between the case and chamber but air, and then I qualified the air as being clean air. I understand the Japanese had problems with at least one of the machine guns. It just did not work unless they greased their ammo. With all the bombs bursting in air and on the ground; then there were hand grenades, mortars and beaches and islands of abrasive material and silica sand.

You are so ignorant of the history of firearms, and yet, all it takes is reading books to learn. Amazing how you concocted a story of how the Japanese had problems when you know nothing about the topic. All of the pre war delayed blowbacks used greased or oiled ammunition. The American's used greased ammunition everywhere in WW2, in the air, on ships, on the ground, including those dirty islands. You don't know what they were using, or where they were using these mechanisms.

Yep, your headspace has a lot of air in the gaps.

condor bravo

Dave P:
I think you have a good point there. Indeed I do size rather rapidly since more than normal force is required due to the tight fitness of the case within the die. That did occur to me so will follow up and take your suggestion. Apply slow and steady pressure rather than rapidly. But why does this happen with just the Winchester cases and not the others remains the burning question?