Aimpoint comp ML-3 fair traded???

cheygriz

I recently read an article on these in American Rifleman.

I did some research on the internet, and 8 different sellers all had them priced with plus or minus $5 of $450.:mad:

I was under the impression that the old anti-competition "fair trade" doctrine had been outlawed.:)

Does anyone know why there seems to be "anti competition" type price fixing on these items??:confused:

Tomac

Several companies have insituted MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) so legit dealers cannot advertise lower than that. However, most dealers here will sell at a lower price if you ask them for it: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=23 For example, although the Aimpoint CompM4 has a MAP of $702 I bought mine for $630 by contacting the dealer directly. HTH...
Tomac

alan

So far aas I know, Fair Trade Laws had been overturned, however there aree other ways to "skin a cat".

If you aren't happy with the posted price on something you want to buy, ask about a discount from posted price. Worst that can happen is that the seller will tell you that the price is firm.

cheygriz

Thanks, guys!:D I did some checking, and found discounts of as much as $70.

It's a damn shame that the fancy lawyers always find a way to get around good laws, yet get the courts to be sticklers for bad ones!:( .

alan

Like I said earlier, if anything about the posted or asking price troubles you, ask about a discount of something off that price.

Many years ago I found myself in St. Paul, Mn. on a business assignment. One Saturday afternoon, wandering about in Minneapolis, I walked into Warner's, which was a large "hardware store". They sold just about anything you could think of from lawn furniture to machine tools, including guns and reloading items. At that time the RCBS Jr. press was nationally advertised, with a set of standard rifle or pistol dies and shell holder for $39.95, if you like, $40.

I purchased a Jr. Press and 30-06 dies, asking "how much". The clerk told me the advertised price was $40. I asked "less what". He offered the following, standard factory discount 33%, which comes to $26, out the door. There was, in 1967, no sales tax in Mn., at least no sales tax on such purchases.Selling the above items at $26 did NOT represent a loss to Warners, they made a profit a that price, not as much as they would have at $40, but they were quite willing to sell the items at $26.