Aguila Primers Go Bang Test + Berry's 9mm 124 HHP and Barnes 95 Copper HP Test

Marco Califo

Yes, Aguila Primers did go bang. I posted photos of the box and tray here: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615659
The Load tested used Speer's data for 9mm 124g GDHP, BE-86 starting load of 5.4 grains. Speer says this yields 1124 fps. Berrys says 1150 max fps on the box. GDHP and HHP are extremely similar in construction (plated hollow-points.
I had some Berrys Hybrid Hollow-points, 124 gr 9mm, so I tested those, too.
I fired into 3 one gallon milk jugs, one shot in each, at close range shooting into an embankment. A couple of interesting tidbits came out of this:
1. The milk jugs ALL burst in the front side only, with no penetration/exit holes. I conclude that the expansion happens quickly like in the first few inches. There is a YouTube video of Berrys 45 ACP 230 gr Hybrid HP, that shows 1 front jug bursting violently and a 2nd in the in-line series bursting from the shock wave. They DO NOT Over-penetrate; his 3, 4, and 5 jugs sat in place.
2. Out of jugs of water, I fired a round into now wet course sand. This round expanded to 0.777 inches from 0.356. That is more than double the original bullet diameter. Weight out of box 123.3, that slug weighed 121.6. That is 98.6% weight retention.:D
3. Berry's HHPs do what they say they do, and I believe achieve parity with Speer GDHPs.
I also fired one Barnes 9mm 95 g. Copper bullet into one of the jugs. Same visual effect, but I was not able to quickly locate any of the three milk jugs rounds. I will go back with a metal detector and shovel to find them.

Attachments

• 9mm Berrys HHP 124 grain box.jpg
    9mm Berrys HHP 124 grain box.jpg
    786.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 9mm Expansion.jpg
    9mm Expansion.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 9mm HHP 124g mushroom top.jpg
    9mm HHP 124g mushroom top.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited: