Aguila brass

Mike38

Started depriming some Aguila .32acp brass today, but stopped after about 20 pieces. I noticed the flash holes are way off center. (See image) The picture makes it look better then it really is. These are way off center. New dies, so I'd hate to snap the decap pin. Is this common with Aguila brass, or did I just get a bad lot? Think I should keep going, or discard the brass and try a different brand? Thanks.

Attachments

• aguila.32acp.JPG
    aguila.32acp.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 72

markr6754

My experience, this is typical. Aguila is bargain basement ammo. I have 9mm, 40S&W, and 300 Blk cases (I shot the ammo) and it’s all off-center. That said...I have yet to break a decapping pin. Just proceed slowly if you do choose to process it.

Worse...I’ve never blown out primers on factory ammo...but that’s exactly what my 300 Blackout did, multiple times in the same box. I quit shooting it. Nothing quite like primer pieces floating around in your AR lower.

Marco Califo

When I buy bulk range brass, and after cleaning, I sort By Headstamps, or groups of categories: 1. Good (known and respected brands, like Winchester, Starline). 2. Trash, round-file forthwith: Blazer, USA, AGUILA, . . .
When I have 900+ "good" on hand it is easier to just toss the others. They can be scrap, or given away, but I won't store them.

markr6754

When I buy bulk range brass, and after cleaning, I sort By Headstamps, or groups of categories: 1. Good (known and respected brands, like Winchester, Starline). 2. Trash, round-file forthwith: Blazer, USA, AGUILA, . . .
When I have 900+ "good" on hand it is easier to just toss the others. They can be scrap, or given away, but I won't store them.
I used to think that Blazer Brass was garbage as well....but I kept it in storage anyway. Then I changed my resizing die and suddenly, all the problems I had with Blazer were gone. I only tried again because of positive reports from other loaders.
I still consider it 2nd tier, but I load it now for plinking. Haven’t had any issues. But then, I’m still new at this, and can’t afford new brass.

You find some off-center flash holes in Lake City cases, and you find some extremely off-center ones in Fiocchi. I believe it is an artifact of drilling rather than punching the vents (flash holes) and not supporting the drill far enough into the primer pocket to prevent it from walking. Usually, it isn't a problem, but I have seen a couple of chucked decapping pins break in them over time. The RCBS type decapper stem flexes easily, but everybody who has them or Lyman dies learns to keep a few of those pins handy.

Mike38

I went ahead and finished depriming the 100 pieces of Aguila and did not snap the decapping pin. So I guess all is good. I think from now on, I'll shy away from Aguila brass. I bought 250 rounds of this as loaded ammo, because it was cheap. You get what you pay for obviously. It's intended use will be in a Kel-Tec P32, so it's not like I'll be shooting that much of it. I carry the P32, and monthly shoot off the two loaded mags that I carry just to keep fresh ammo in the gun and make sure everything is still working. So 250 rounds will last me a long time.