Age of K-22 Masterpiece?

Winchester_73

Either the SN you mentioned isn't right or its a K-22 outdoorsman. Any post war K-22, 1946 on will have a K prefix in the SN. Pre war guns are without the prefix. If it has the K prefix, off the top of my head, I would guess 1948.

tulsamal

So you are saying it doesn't have a "K" at the front of the serial number on the bottom of the grip?

If there is a K, then it was made in 1948. If it was a Masterpiece and 1940-41 and didn't have K, it would be in the range of 682420 to 696952. Or the K-22 Outdoorsman from 1931 to 1940, 632132 to 682419. As you can see, those numbers are all longer.

Gregg

laytonj1

The "K" may be several spaces ahead of the rest of the numbers. Also, take the serial number from the underside of the frames grip butt (you may have to take the grips off to see it). If there are no other numbers or a "K" prefix then you are looking at an assembly number vs. a serial number.

Jim

Winchester_73

I thought that the Outdoorsman range was higher than 5 digits and I should have known that since it was numbered with the 1905 4th series guns. I just wasn't thinking on that one :confused:

Also, the easy way to tell a post war K-22 from a pre war is the barrel rib or lack thereof. The post war guns have a barrel rib, a raised piece of metal that goes up the top of the barrel to the front sight. The rib will also have grooves that run the length of it. A pre war gun will instead have a round top barrel with patent dates on top of it. There are many other differences but this is easiest to spot since we are having trouble establishing the serial number. A K-22 second model aka K-22 1st model target masterpiece will also have a hammer notch, a slight slit under the hammer spur that goes horizontal, an outdoorsman model does not have this.