Aftermarket parts for the Colt Gov't .38 Super

MrBlonde

Lately I have been interested in adding things to a stock, Colt, .38 Super Gov't. Model. The things I want are: Adjustable sights, beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, extended slide lock, extended magazine release, combat trigger, possibly a barrel, and a target bushing. And, a few things came to my mind when browsing through websites that sell parts: #1. With the exception of the barrel, and bushing, will parts made for Government models fit the .38 Super? #2. Who makes a good aftermarket drop in target barrel, and bushing? #3. What is a 'fit code' and where do I find out what the 'fit code' of this gun is?

Also, should I choose Les Baer, Ed Brown, or Wilson, for parts? Wilson has most of the things I have in mind, with the exception of .38 Super barrels and bushings. Which Bear and Brown also lack. Thanks in advance for the help.

Archie

Except for a few caliber specific items, such as barrel, slide, extractor, ejector and magazine, the rest of the parts are the same.
Target barrels? BarSto used to be the top of
the line. Probably any of them will shoot as good as any of us can.

Fit code? I've been building 1911s for myself for over twentyfive years. Never heard of a fit code.

I like Wilson's stuff. I also like original Colt parts if you can find any.

------------------
Archie

MrBlonde

Thanks, Archie. I have been looking into Bar-Sto barrels, and that is probably what I will go with, eventually. And, at www.wilsoncombat.com they have these 'fit codes', that are single letters, and it doesnt specify on the website anything about fitcodes, so I didnt really pay much attention. What about bushings? Does Bar-Sto make a good .38 Super barrel bushing?

WESHOOT2

Bar-Sto makes the best.

For other 1911 parts I prefer Ed Brown, Nowlin (superb TiN trigger group), EGW, and Caspian. Sights = Bomar or MMC.
Like the McCormick Deactivator grip safety best.
Dlask or Videki trigger.

Suggest spending big bucks and have a pro (Bar-Sto) hard-fit your barrel.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"