Aftermarket parts for a .38 Super

MrBlonde

Hey all,
I was looking into getting some aftermarket parts for a Colt Gov't .38 Super. I am looking into Wilson stuff, and I am wondering if it will work for the .38 Super. Looking at adjustable triggers, extended slide stop, extended thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, checkered mainspring housing, extended magazine release, and maybe a guide rod. I do not want to do anything that will alter the gun permanently.

Will an ambidextrous thumb safety work, if the gun originally came with right hand(or left side)thumb safety? I don’t know how the ambidextrous ones install, or anything about them.

Also, sights. Where can I get an adjustable rear Bo-Mar, or other good quality adjustable sights, for not a lot. Remember that I do not want to alter the gun, so they would need to go in the same dovetail that is already there.

One more thing, and I have seen a thread dedicated entirely to this, but those little checkered front strap add on things, that are held in place by the grip panels, are they any good? Right now I have Hogue wrap-around grips on there, and I am not sure about new grips, but some nice wood ones would really look good.

Thanks for any help you can give.

JohnK

For most of that a 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911. The ambi safty, beaver tail, trigger, sights etc should all work just fine on your Colt 38 Super.

You might take a look at Brownells for aftermarket parts, you can get everything from them to build a 1911 from scratch if you so desire including aftermarket sights. http://www.brownells.com/Index.html

I haven't used the checkered wrap around add ons, they just never appealed to me. I put some grip tape across the front of my Para 38 Super (It's like sandpaper with glue on the back) and it works just fine. I got mine from Brownells, I don't know if they still carry it though.