Aftermarket barrels for glocks

KShaft

i really dont like glocktalk, to many bin laden follower like guys on that site so ill post here.
i was just wondering what peoples opinion on after market barrels for the ole glock (.40 or .357 full size) as pertaining to maintaining reliability while gaining in the accuracy dept.

my first choice would have been a bar-sto, but i talked to T. Jacobs and he did not reccomend them.
its odd as this is in contradiction to say Burns reccomendations.
anybody have any experiences with this type of deal?
right now im thinking:
briley(never knew they existed but mr. Jacobs made me aware of them)
bar-sto
kkm

thanks,
k.s.

Rainbow Six

I don't mean to make you look silly or anything but a lot of the people from GlockTalk are members here too, and vice versa. :rolleyes:

R6

JMC

I started out on GT in '99 (JimC) and post on both boards. Before you refer to me as a bin Laden follower, check out my posts to see how many people I and many others have attempted to assist with their questions and problems. :mad:

Spend your money to find the right barrel for your needs! :p

Tom B

I have used KKM (presently in my G23) and Bar Sto with good results. Have had no reliability issues. I have never tried the Briley.

P

PreserveFreedom

WHile we are talking aftermarket Glock barrels, who makes the most inexpensive drop in conversion barrels (357) that work?

Catbird

This past summer, someone persuaded me to try a Federal Arms 9mm conversion barrel in my Glock 32, .357 SIG. I'm usually a person who is a firm believer in the theories:You get what you pay for and If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Well... to make a long story short, I was very satisfied with that barrel; so much so that I purchased a .357 SIG barrel for my Glock 22, .40 S&W. I plan on purchasing more FA barrels.... at $89 each, so far, I've been pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to hear from T.J. on his experience(s), if any, with these FA barrels. Additionally, if anyone else has had poor performance from these barrels, I'd really like to hear about that.

BTW, I'm not implying that the Glock, KKM, Bar-Sto, Jarvis, etc. barrels are inferior in any way!. :)

cma g21

I have a Federal Arms .357 sig barrel for my G23, and a Federal Arms .40 Super barrel for my G21.

Both have been very reliable and accurate.

KShaft

HAHAHA

when i was refering to "bin laden follower like" i meant some of thier fanaticism on glocks! hehe
i can see some of these guys jumping off a bridge if Gaston Glock died :D
"how dare you replace the stock barrel?!?!! glock rules!!!!!!!!"
and yes i have gotten replies such as this on that site when i had a g22 (but traded it on a sig 220) and asked a similar question. but i did get some good replies as well.
i guess if you are going to be fanatical about something, a glock is not such a bad thing....nor any good firearm for that matter!

but coming here i know that though some may be members of gt, these will probably be more experienced in handgunning all around.
thanks for all the replies so far.
keep em coming!

oh on the note of the aftermarket barrel, does anyone know of any one who is good for fitting the barrel, if i get a bar-sto??
i know barsto can do it but i figure why not get some framework done on it at the same time... maybe Burns would do it but i dont know...
thanks again.
k.s.

leedesert

Since you don't like Glock Talk can we count on not seeing you there anymore. If we do we will announce JEEHAD.:mad:

sousana

I have a Glock in each model. In G17 and G21 I have 3 each. ALL of my Glocks use Federal barrels and they work phenominally. Their accuracy is better than with the factory barrels. On the Glock that I sometimes use for concealed carry, that one uses a Bar-sto barrel that was custom fitted to that particular 17. I have noticed however that aftermarket barrels work better with 2nd and 3rd generation guns and so so with 1st gen guns. On measuring the slides and barrels I've noticed that the 1st gen barrels are slightly smaller dimensionally than other gens.

dawg23

KShaft:

Please don't give up on Glock Talk until you've fully experienced all that they have to offer.

For instance, there is a Glock Talk steel plate competition every Saturday at a range in your area. Having estimated the size of the steel plate that you must have in your head since your lobotomy, I'm sure the GT boys would be willing to sustitute your head for one of the standard plates.

If you have a preference on what brand of barrel they should use (after you complete your exhaustive research), I'm sure they'll be willing to accommodate you.

Dawg23

CastleBravo

Bin Laden followers? Could you be a bit MORE tacky, please. :p

Seriously, it is really a toss-up among the top barrels, which is why there is disagreement over which is "best" among the better gunsmiths. They are arguing over small subjective differences that may never be settled. I would personally lean towards Bar-Sto. Dane Burns put one in my Delta Elite and it is superbly accurate. I used to have a SigSauer P228 with a Bar-Sto barrel and it was superb also. I also had a KKM barrel in .357 Sig for my Glock 35 that was extremely accurate.

I don't know if they all make Glock barrels but Kart, Ed Brown, Briley, Scheumann and Jarvis all make top-tier barrels as well.

KShaft

sousana,

how does the g17 shoot with that fitted bar-sto?
im more than prepared to get a barrel fitted, however, if the difference is negligable, ill pick up the kkm.
id love to get 1.5" 25 yard groups from a glock!
however if i can get 2" groups then thats great.
i just want to get the most accuracy i can so i know its me thats screwing up(if i get a bad shot group) and not the gun.
i believe in having a gun that will out shoot you.

those federal arms barrels sound like they are good, and inexpensive to boot. id most likely get a bar-sto or kkm though.
unless i have proof that they are just as good as those two.

jeese whered ya get the money for all those glocks.....?
got an 18? hehehe!
k.s.

sousana

Accuracy? With factory barrel at 25yds I was getting 2-2.25" groups, with the fitted Bar-sto barrel the groups dropped to 1.5-1.75". The rest is up to me. I understand that with handloads you can get your groups down further.

Tom B

My gunsmith of choice is Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision for barrel fitting and everything else. I have also used Action Works and Jim Garthwait (sp) for Walthers,1911s and BHPs. GTers tend to be younger in general and experienced with Glocks but not so much with other brands. The mindset there that only stock Glock will do is a very limiting factor with regard to handguns and will hinder many in expanding knowledge. Too much emphasis placed on gun games there and now many postings by vendors and so called "grand masters" (I thought these were golfers!) but what do I know. Many postings by these people who use the forum to make money and the info given is biased in that regard. I like Glocks so I post there often but I like other guns as well. Being older than the norm at GT my political views are usually different as well. Overall a good group of people however. My fav site is TFL.

slickpuppy

I have fit Briley and BarSto barrels in my Glocks. Both are very accurate. It really doesn't take much work to fit them if you have the right tools for the job.

I have also used "drop in" BarSto barrels as well - they can be hit or miss as to how well they drop in.

I stick with the BarStos that require fitting now.

I have read good reviews on KKM and Federal but have not used them.

As to GlockTalk, many of the posters are relatively new to the handgun game. Some are bored old men with nothing else to do and have a chip on their shoulder. There are some knowledgable people there, though.