Aftermarket 700 footprint Receivers

jhnrckr

I am looking for a Remington 700 footprint receiver that takes Savage small shank barrels like the Big Horn or the American Rifle Company. They are both backordered. Any Suggestions?

lewwetzel

A Shilen DGR/DGV action would be one (Stiller is the same w/o floating bolt head.)
Pierce might be another; not sure about threads, but is 700 footprint.

Last edited:

std7mag

Don,

My read on it is someone "aftermarketed" the Rem 700 receiver but are using different thread engagements for the barrel.

I think some of the Gunwerks rifles are this way.
Dakota uses a modified Winchester receiver.

E.R. Shaws rifles are Savage actions modified with the barrel nut removed.

taylorce1

Go to a place like bugholes.com or shortactioncustoms.com and search their in stock actions. That'll tell you what's readily available for purchase at one of those web sites or others out there. I'm sure there are many in stock actions out there available for purchase that will fit M700 stocks with little or no modifications to the stock.

You don't need an action that takes Savage barrels, most barrel makers will sell you a Remington barrel with a barrel nut. Unless of course you're buying a whole bunch of Savage take off barrels? I just can't imagine using factory take off barrels on a custom action.

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

I am looking for a Remington 700 footprint receiver that takes Savage small shank barrels like the Big Horn or the American Rifle Company. They are both backordered. Any Suggestions?
You missed the boat by a month getting in on the SHOT show deals that ARC and Big Horn had going on. I have a Nucleus on order.
Northland Shooters Supply sells Big Horn actions,but doesn't show the new one on their site.
Shilen sells the DGR action,I built my last rifle off it. I like it,but it isn't as smooth as the ARC or Big Horn.

I'm not sure anyone else makes their custom actions with the Savage barrel threads,but you can call and email them to find out.