After cleaning...the oily feeling

CDH

Wiping oil on the metal finish of a pistol and then wiping it off will leave just enough of a residue that it will remain protected.

If you see or feel oil on the outside of your gun, you need to just wipe it with a clean, dry rag until it "looks" wiped dry. I put "looks" in parentheses because even though it looks dry, an oil barrier will still remain on the finish.

Adventurer 2

I always put on too much oil - when I am done cleaning - I reassemble and soak a patch with oil and wipe down all metal surfaces. Afterwards, I tear off two paper towels and wrap the pistol and then zip up in a gun rug. When I take it out I wipe the excess oil that doesn't get soaked up by the paper towels (safety and trigger).

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
PS. I used Smith & Wesson Lubricant & Protectant Spray bottle.

There's a big part of your problem right there. Use an oil that has a dropper for precise placement then use a cleaning patch to spread it around, if need be. I keep a rag nearby to keep my hands oil free also.

PSP

Buy a Flitz cloth or other micro fiber polishing cloth. They make your gun spotless and are washable.

Tom2

Save the "oil" for the moving parts or for storage. Wipe the outsides with something that evaporates to a large extent and leaves a thin protective shield. Like Eezox or maybe even one of those yellow silicone cloths to wipe it down with. If you have a stainless gun, the silicone seems to be plenty of protection. If blue, it should be plenty unless exposed to extremes like dripping sweat, salt water mist, or rain. Some folks on here apply a coat of wax to the outsides of their guns. Certainly that will protect from handling and bead moisture but you just don't use any old wax for that.