Affordable O/U's??

CarbineKid

I have been looking into all my options when it comes to shotguns. My cousin suggested a good double barrel. So I started looking into them, and a O/U sounds good. Then I seen the prices...***? Are these totally overpriced or what?? Anyhow I was starting to wonder if there were any good affordable ones out there? Im open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks Brian
P.S. I've seen ads for the izh27, its fis the price range but is it any good?

bamf

Brian,

I've heard good things about Baikals, very strong although a bit crude. Wood to metal finish may not be the greatest and the balance isn't great but its a decent field gun.

Another brand of inexpensive O/U's I'd look at is lanber. I've read good things about them. I might be buying the model 89 sometime soon.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do with it...do you want to hunt? Clays? Both? I'd also look at pumps, auto's all of which can be had with excellent quality but costs much less than an O/U

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Doubles can be a morass in which you and your money slowly sink into.

With very few exceptions, cheap O/Us aren't good and good ones aren't cheap.

Even good makers like Beretta and Browning have occasional lemons that won't put both loads into the same Zip Code.

Good luck...

PJR

What do you want to do with this gun? Use it a couple of times each year for ducks or upland game? Then just about anything will do for a lifetime.

However, if you intend to shoot a flat of shells each week at clay targets, the lower priced o/u is no bargain. I've seen all manner of Baikals and Stoegers go belly up on the trap line. The added benefit of the Brownings, Berettas et al is that they retain value if treated well. I've owned several double guns over the years, the majority were bought used and several were sold for almost as much as I paid for them. A couple went at a profit.

I'd also second the recommendation of Lanber. I've handled and shot a couple and was impressed. They are not common in North America but are very popular in the UK as a starter clay gun.

Dave is right---most affordable O/U's you wouldn't want anyway. $1000 to $1100 is about the minimum you'll pay for a decent O/U.

If you're looking to spend $500 or so--the best values are pretty much the Remington and Beretta autoloaders at Wally's. Both of those are much better than a cheapie O/U.

fix

I agree. The Stoegers are fine for the occasional trip to the field, but don't hold up well for frequent trap use.

Roadrunner

You may still be able to find some new 12 ga o/u Beretta 686 Silver Essentials on the web or advertised in Shotgun News. I got mine after seeing an ad in Shotgun News for $650 from a company in Caifornia. Beretta replaced their intro-level field o/u (the Silver Essential) with a more expensive White Wing model.

I use mine for hunting and all shotgun sports. Look around and you may still find them. Regards.

SHIVAN

Stoeger...

In principle I'd have to agree with the basic premise that all good O/U's start at $1K. However, you may be surprised at the consistency and accruracy of a Stoeger. While my Condor Supreme is not finished that well (some small overlaps of wood-metal) it routinely finds me hitting 80-85-90/100 or higher on every other weekend when I shoot skeet/5 stand. I have had no malfunctions or other surprises and quite honestly it was an experiment to see if I liked the skeet/sporting clays arena.

I do. And I am now considering a Beretta, Franchi, or an H&K Fabarm. I think I am leaning towards the Franchi simply for the interchangability of it's barrels, without having to custom fit or gunsmith up front. You can buy a Franchi Alcione SX/LF for about $1K in 12ga. and a year later buy a 20ga barrel set for a few hundred ($300-$500), then buy a 28ga or .410. All on the same frame......very attractive for me. Considering I prefer my pistols and rifles to my shotguns. :)

Ed

M Jager

affordable o/us

Kid,
My advice when looking for an affordable o/u is to go used.
In march I was looking for a target gun and thought my pice range was limited to autos. I stumbled onto a Browning Citori with 30 inch high ribbed barrels with chokes and a morgan adjustable butt pad (which I like very much) for $650. This gun is almost identicle to the now discontinued Special Sporting Clays edition. While well used, it was also well cared for and will probably outlast me. While 650 wasn't the best bargain the shooting world will ever hear of, it is a very good price on a gun that fits my needs to the letter and "IF" I want to resell it (NOT LIKELY) I can easily get my money back and probably turn a slight profit.
Take your time and look around and you should be about to find a good used Browning/berreta/skb/winchester 101 or similar for an affordable price that shoot circles around the cheapy guns.
best of luck to you in your quest for a new scatter gun
Matt

Ewok_Guy

Norinco makes a few over unders in the $150- $200 range.
Nice if you can't come up with the dough for a 1K+ Beretta.

CarbineKid

Guys thanks for all the info. I was affraid I would have to sell a kidney for one...hey I just might. I guess I might stick to a semi, or a pump. Just out of curiosity how is the CZ 580 something(retail $800). I know their pistols are great, I wonder if their o/u are of the same quality.

Burlington Road

Affordable O/U

IZH
I have the Baikal IZH 27 O/U with 28" barrel and screw in chokes for $349 on sale from $399. I am very happy with it. The SxS was $50 less and was reviewed in the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN Aug.2001 issue.

They have a one year parts and labor warantee. Mine has worked perfectly so far----less than 1000 rnds.

The fit and finish I thought is very acceptable compared to O/U's that cost 3X as much. Take a look at one if you get a chance. I thought it was better finished than the Fausti which costs about $200 more. The IZH 153 semi auto sells for $350 and can handle 3 1/2" shells. The wood finish can't match the 1100. I haven't seen one out of the store.

The Turkish Huglu is another low end O/U.

The double gunners have an attitude and dis the low end guns.

PJR

Burlington Road:

You were making some good points until your last line. I don't think anyone is "dissing" anyone's gun, yours included.

But (sigh) I guess I have an attitude owning a double as I do. I might have to establilsh the DGWA -- Double Gunners With Attitude. :D

Paul

rugerfreak

Not so much as "dissing"---just more a statement of fact.

If you want a good O/U----you're gonna have to pay.

If you don't happen to have the funds for a decent O/U---you will get a higher quality gun by getting a semi or pump than spending the same money on a cheap O/U.

Brooks

IZH Baikal

Well, I've hung out on the www.shotgunsports.com board for quite awhile and that is why I believe that double gunners have an attitude re: lower end double guns.

I just don't think the shotgun should be dis'd by anyone who has not seen, handled or fired one.

The Baikal IZH is manufactured in Izhevsk, Russia where they make the AK and Makarov. If the shotgun can approach the reliability of either, and I hope it will, it is a good buy. The apparent quality surprised me and that is why I bought one.

Would I trade even up for a B-gun--of course. The Baikal is not a show piece, but at 1/3 the price of either, it's worth a look for anyone interested in an affordable O/U.

SHIVAN

Matter of Perspective...

The guys with Perazzi's and Kreighoffs look down their nose at the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon my friend's wife shoots, and look quickly at the 1970's vintage Beretta my friend shoots (the model escapes me). Well, his is worth about $3500 today, up from the $1000 or so it sold for in the 70's (he got it on a steal from a pawn shop - $1500). Her's is a solid $1500. My point?

They both look down their nose at my $400 Stoeger Condor Supreme, that is until I shoot a 100 birds to their 90. In 5 rounds of skeet.

Is it pretty to look at -- hell no! It's average to below average finishing from stock to action, but it shoots well and I don't feel guilty for not cleaning it right away.

That said, I will be moving up soon to a Beretta, Franchi, or Browning. But ONLY because I want a nice looking gun too. ;)

Ed

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Re doubles gunners with attitudes....

Sure, there's some, just like there's some 870 owners who try lording it over 500 and 1300 owners. The Bozo Factor is pandemic.

"It only takes one clown to $%^&*( it up for everyone"- The Bozo Factor...

The common thread among snobs is they do not shoot all that well. Don't get me wrong, there's folks out there pure D deadly with their Ljutics, Perazzis and Purdeys.Those folks aren't snobs, just folks with who like good shotguns. And they don't kick sand in pumpgunners' faces at the beach. Snobs believe a checkbook and plastic can make up for lack of thought,talent or perspiration.

I've often thought that if I was a local legend, I'd get a sticker with some mythical maker's name on it and affix it to the TB's bbl. Another non existent name would be on my shell boxes, a third on my stock. Then after a few wins, I'd see who was asking after Blivik shotguns, McGlurg stocks and Aetna shells.Bet there'd be some threads on various bbs....

PJR

Actually I don't look down my nose at anyone regardless what gun he or she might be using. If the gun you shoot makes you feel inferior or superior then you've got other problems.

That said I think the lower-priced over/unders aren't a bargain. Better to put your money into a Remington 1100 semi auto. They've been around for years, are proven and spare parts are everywhere.

When you get past the $1,000 mark for an over/under you are buying more than just good looks. You are getting better triggers, better handling and a gun that was built to be rebuilt after 50,000 shells or so. That sounds like a ton but an regular clay shooter will go through that in five years without breaking a sweat. The advice to buy a used double of a known brand is a good one. There are all kinds of Brownings and Berettas on the used market with lots of life in them. My clay guns were both bought used and are still ticking along quite nicely.

With shotguns you usually get what you pay for. The trick is to know what you need and not pay for those things you don't. The needs of a target shooter versus someone who hunts ducks a dozen times a year are different. If you plan to shoot a lot of targets you need a gun that can go the distance and has a proven track record.