Affordable gun safe

mas12990

Would like to hear about ideas that provide economic alternatives to high priced, over engineered gun safes. I have several shotguns,a few carbines, and 5 or 6 pistols, and several thousand rounds.

22-rimfire

No idea what "over engineered" is, but I would assume you want something simple. In which case, make your own.... install steel door on a small closet, add metal along the door knob side for the dead bolts to go through, then add mulitple long dead bolts and probably some sort of cabling between the guns with a lock on it. Should fix you up for most security problems unless somebody knows they are there and are determined to break through a wall to get to the interior of the closet. You could add steel plating on the walls if you wanted to.... at that point you're probaly better off with a traditional gun safe in the medium size and price range ($800-$1000).

Add more layers of sheetrock for fire protection, but you're probably wasting your time.

The problem with gun safes is that you need to plan for the future as part of your purchase and that is where the problem comes in. It is very easy to fill up a gun safe. I would not store ammo inside the safe. I'd just keep it stored elsewhere in a trunk of some kind (utility box) such as a contractor might use from Home Depot or Lowe's.

stargazer65

If you just want to buy a cheap place to stash the guns and keep them locked up from kids get a Stack-On. I'm not sure what features you want.

mas12990

thanks

Looks like stack-on and a seperate steel lock box is going to be the right combo for me. Thanks for the input

ScottRiqui

That sounds like what I went with. I have a Stack-On that will realistically hold 7-8 long guns, and then an electronic keypad lockbox for four handguns that I've bolted to the top of the Stack-On. It's worked pretty well for me, but when I retire and go back to Texas in a few years, I'll invest in a bigger/heavier safe then. I just don't want to buy anything huge now and have to move it across the country.

JonnyP

I shopped around quite a bit before I made my purchase. Just couldn't bring myself to put some really nice, sentimental, and expensive guns in a tin can. Had a family member loose all his guns in a fire too. So I finally decided to get a really good one from Sturdy Gun Safes. They're heavy and expensive, even more so when you add the fire lining, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

If/when I ever move, however, I'm sure I'll "enjoy" it even more...

taylorce1

Keep checking places like Cragslist. I picked up another gunsafe off of there last week a Sentry 14 long gun safe rated for 1400 degrees for 30 min for $250. That is about the price of some of the Stack-On security lockers.

aarondhgraham

I know it's false economy,,,

But every time I get near the amount needed for a fire-resistant safe,,,
I see another handgun I just hafta own.

It's a deadly spiral,,,
'Cause the size (and cost) of the safe keeps increasing as well.

Where will this madness end?

jonnyc

My "office" is a finished basement room with only one door. Any suggestions on a security door solution, short of a vault door?

a1abdj

My "office" is a finished basement room with only one door. Any suggestions on a security door solution, short of a vault door?

Find a building in your area that is being torn down. Buy one of the commercial all steel exterior doors from the demo company.

Inexpensive, and pretty secure.

oneounceload

The only "over-engineered" gun safe is not your typical RSC. It would be steel-reinforced concrete on all sides, floor and ceiling and run you about $30,000 plus. The typical steel box called a "safe" isn't per insurance companies, nor are they overengineered. If you want a cheap box, buy a locker. If you want something to hold off your typical smash and grab guys, a RSC will work. If you want to fight true burglars, you need to think T-30 rated boxes, built-in vaults, etc.

JoeBob

The cheapie stack-on safe work well for a cheap gun storage, for theft deterrant, i like the Liberty gun safes. I have 2 of them, and 1 stack-on. I've bought both of the liberty safes for $200 off retail price at "day after thanksgiving sales" at Orschelons. If you can find a deal like that, hop on it...as they are 10X the safe that the sheetmetal stack-on unit is.