Affordable Elephant Gun?

sixgunnin

Anyone know of an affordable elephant gun option under about $1,000? I'm thinking something upwards of 6000 foot pounds. Wouldn't have to be a bolt action, but that would be pretty nice.

Thinking something along the lines of the 500 Jeffery, 500 nitro, .458 Lott. I figure with casting my own bullets I could reload rounds for less than twenty cents.

Probably will never shoot at elephants, just wanting to lob really big chunks of lead around:cool:

Last edited:

jmr40

Street price on the Ruger should be about $1000 +/- $100. The 375 Ruger or 375 H&H would do just fine.

Another option

http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/vanguard/vanguard-safari.html

And probably the cheapest option

http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/vanguard/vanguardr-synthetic-375-h-h.html

There is always the used market.

Probably will never shoot at elephants, just wanting to lob really big chunks of lead around

Then you want this:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore

FITASC

More like an ophthalmologist for the detached retinas...............

I figure with casting my own bullets I could reload rounds for less than twenty cents.

About $5+ /empty brass case, the lead alone will be more than .30, let alone the cost for primer and powder.........sure smells like fish.......

zxcvbob

A Browning or Winchester 1886 in .45-70 is pretty close. And it's a good cartridge for big cast bullets. Don't know if you can find a decent one under $1000, though.

ThomasT

Probably will never shoot at elephants, just wanting to lob really big chunks of lead around

Just buy a large bore muzzle loader. A .58 caliber or a smoothbore musket in 12 gauge. There are lots of way to shoot big chunks of lead.:D

Dufus

I got my Weatherby 460 for $1000 a few years ago.

Shop around and you might get lucky.

I shoot cast out of my 375 H&H and the 460, but it shure as hell ain't 20 cents.

The powder alone will run 50 cents.

sixgunnin

Just buy a large bore muzzle loader. A .58 caliber or a smoothbore musket in 12 gauge. There are lots of way to shoot big chunks of lead.
Oh, forgot to mention, I also want them to be going really fast:D

COSteve

Thinking something along the lines of the 500 Jeffery, 500 nitro, .458 Lott. I figure with casting my own bullets I could reload rounds for less than twenty cents.

Probably will never shoot at elephants, just wanting to lob really big chunks of lead around:cool:
That's hysterical!!! The empty brass will likely cost you $5-$10 per round, the powder (90 to 110grns per rd) say even 100grns at $30/lb will cost likely about 45¢ per rd, and primers (Fed GM215M) are what, 3.5¢ per rd. So, on the cheap side, you've got $5.50 in brass, powder, and primer per rd without a bullet or reloading dies, etc., to load it.

sixgunnin

About $5+ /empty brass case, the lead alone will be more than .30, let alone the cost for primer and powder.........sure smells like fish.......
Ok. Sounds like I might have stretched that one a little bit;)

Drm50

None of the above are "really" fast, with jackets. With cast a good bit slower.
458Win are fairly common used at gun shows for under $1K. 375H&H which is
a lot more useful caliber for most people usually bring more. Those big English
cartridges were never made in cheap guns. The cheapest would be a #1 Ruger
which are not really cheap.

TXAZ

Why not consider a .50 BMG? 12,000 ft lbs. There are a few around. Serbu and LAR make both make single shot .50 BMG’s around $1K.

Nunya53

In all seriousness you can pick up a Winchester Alaskan for about $1300 or an African for about $1400...depends on what you consider "affordable". To me, that is affordable, for some that is sky high and for others that is chump change. I don't know you or your situation.....

Jerry

briandg

At one time you could pretty easily pick up a .458 or .375 magnum at a local place because men bought them as trophies. Not to hunt, it was a matter of pride that they owned the ultimate gun. My father in law had one. So, these things would sit in cases and sell for a small return decades later.