Affordable double rifle

rugerfreak

Nope

Rethinking that-----all depends on what you consider affordable------to some guys dropping $100,000 on a gun is drop in the bucket---for guys like me its a considerable sum----it all depends on how much you have.

dZ

www.eaacorp.com imports russian double rifles

IZH-94 Double Rifle
European American Armory has now made affordable, one of the classic rifle designs of all times, the over and under double rifle. The IZH94 over and under rifle is being delivered at a price that is hundreds of dollars less than simple bolt action rifles. They are available in popular calibers such as 223, 308, and 30-06 and include features such as mono black construction with machined steel receiver, double triggers, walnut stock and forend, automatic tang safety and hammer forged barrels with extractors. Also included is a jack screw adjustment for barrels with extractors. Also included is a jack screw adjustment for barrel regulation and an integral 11mm scope rail for mounting your favorite scope.

http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/shotguns/izh94/index.html

BigG

I've got a Baikal Russian O/U in .308 Win. It may be the same one that dZ is referencing but mine was not marked EAA.

Cabelas offers a SxS in 45/70 or 9.3 X 74 or one of those Euro calibers for about $2,200 or so.

So, no, you don't have to go to London any more.:)

RobCon

The least expensive, high-quality heavy double is probably the Merkel 140 series which can be had in .470. This is a discontinued model but they are still advertised around $7000. The bad news is this model is only available with extractors and if one needs a double, ejectors are a requirement. I have hunted buff on two occasions with a Manton .470 but I prefer a bolt gun with a low magnification telescope. Rob

RobCon

As my eyesight fades(I wear trifocals) I find it more difficult to shoot quickly with irons, except express sights,which are not precise. The late Finn Aagaard did an article on this very subject in the American Hunter some years back and concluded that for him, a low magnification scope was the fastest sight. So it is with me. Telescopes can fail. In four African trips I have had it happen once. For me, the obvious solution is to mount a spare scope and zero it in extra rings. My favorite scope is the Zeiss 1.5x4.5 set on 1.5x. I can always crank it up for a long shot, but at 1.5 I can see the length of the barrel.I also like the neat little 2.5x Leupold. Best regards, Rob

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you think like Red Green, all you need are a couple of NEF Handi-rifles and some duct tape...

You can even mix & match calibers this way. Extra Strong duct tape is recommended.

Lemme know how it turns out. ;)

Roman Knoll

Keep watch on the new s/s double rifle from Blaser. I saw it on latest IWA show in Germany last march. It is the only model currently in production with exchangable barrel sets (shotgun, shotgun/rilfe combo and different rifle calibers). Perfect system to build African battery on. QD mounts, good ope sights, exceellent balance. Classic looks inspite of most modern technology. Very reasonably priced in comparison with Krieghoff and others.

Roman Knoll

Cthulhu

Affordable is relative.
CZ makes one that runs for about $3000-4000 called the CZ-589 Stopper. An Express sighted Over and Under based on their 584 shotgun, chambered in .458 Win Mag. Built like a tank, it should be extremely strong. There are very few stateside, but one is currently on Auction Arms with no reserve, ending on June 12th. You might be able to have someplace like the CZ Connection order you one as well.

Another option is to get an EAA IZH-43 side by side shotgun (hammered or hammerless) w/ 20" bbls and multichokes. Then buy two of their conversion bbls and mount both. A side by side .45-70 would be pretty capable even with moderately loaded factory ammo. Although they offer barrels in .308 and .30'06, I'm not sure what kind of pressures and case head thrust the conversions can take without loosening up the barrel lock up. Sight Regulation? Thats up to you and your gunsmith.

Lone Star

I saw a very nice Beretta example in .470 at their Dallas gallery. Nicely engraved (sidelock model, too, as I recall) and it fit me like a dream.

I would have bought it, but if I'd shelled out the $45,000 they wanted, I wouldn't have had enough left in my wallet for lunch, and I was hungry. Could have charged lunch - there's a nice restaurant there in Highland Park Shopping Center - but I hate paying high interest rates on credit cards...

Seriously, being able to handle a functional work of art like that made me want to rush right out and take an elephant with 100 pounds of ivory on each side. Maybe someday, I'll win a sweepstakes.

Beautiful gallery with splendid guns and accessories, though, if you happen to be in Dallas.

Lone Star