Affordable AR-10?

Hi reader(s), I am kinda torn between two guns and have no idea what to do. Tikka T3 or a decent (not exactly entry level but somewhere along those lines) AR-10. I have never owned an AR and this will also be my first centerfire rifle I have found a Tikka for a great price but I'm not an AR guy so I don't know what brands to stray from, what is a good deal and what is a great deal.

Please help kind people...

Carne Frio

It would help if you could gives specifics for the AR10.
Manufacturer and specific model; prices for AR rifles in
.308 range from less than $900 to over $3000.:D

BigBL87

For an affordable, quality AR-10, it's had to beat Palmetto State Armory. Same goes for Ar-15's.

With the AR-10, you need to be aware of if it is Armalite pattern or DPMS pattern when buying some parts and mags.

If you looking for a good entry level AR10. Last fall I picked up a PTAC Tac 10 from Palmetto State Armory. They had a Holiday flyer for $699
I jumped on it.
I have had it just about a year now and have put around 1000 rounds down the pipe.
No complaints from me. The only thing I did was add a better stock and a scope.
Taking it hunting this year.
I checked, I did not see any available right now. BUT I bet they will before the Holidays again.

100_9665_zpsb1f1cf09.jpg

100_9756_zpsx1bqfwtx.jpg

TimW77

Easy...

Many other companies make an "AR TYPE rifle in .308W", ONLY ArmaLite makes an AR-10 so the answer is ArmaLite...

For those of you that simply can't understand this or refuse to comprehend that...

It is like some moron insisting on calling a Ruger 77, a (Win) Model 70...

Or calling EVERY bolt action rifle regardless of brand a Model 70...

Very simply, WRONG any way you try to defend it!!!

T.

A bargain budget ar build will never be as accurate as the tikka.t3

That is a fact, Although not a sniper weapon. You can get surprised how well a AR of any type can shoot. Mr Stoner knew what he was doing.

But if I am trying to get clover leafs I take out my Savage model10.
But if I want to shoot out the bulls eye. Out comes the AR10. :D
Two completely different mind sets.

@T.

Of course you are correct. But that would be like saying the only AR15 available is an ArmaLite.
Its like Kleenex now. Even though Kleenex is a brand name.
If some one says hand me a Kleenex. I suspect you wont hand them a rock.. Or make a special run. You will hand them a facial tissue of what ever brand you happen to have. because you will have a good understanding about what they want.
If you have a wall of rifles and three are AR type. You wont hand him a Ruger 77 or a model 70. You will say. What one and point at the 3 AR type rifles you have.

Last edited:

TimW77

"Of course you are correct. But that would be like saying the only AR15 available is an ArmaLite."

WRONG, it is nothing like saying that...

You are mixing up the AR-10 and the AR-15...

TOTALLY different situations for each rifle and manufacturer...

It has NOTHING to do with saying "the only AR15 available is an ArmaLite."

"Its like Kleenex now. Even though Kleenex is a brand name."

Yes, and if a REQISTERED TRADEMARK that is enforced, NO OTHER COMPANY can make that product with the name "Kleenex" without permission...

"If you have a wall of rifles and three are AR type. You wont hand him a Ruger 77 or a model 70."

Duh, I would if that is what he asked for. Again, you are mixed up, you don't have a clue what I said. Reread and check your reading comprehension, once again you got the example totally wrong...:rolleyes:

But if I have a wall full of bolt action rifles (my example) and some moron asks for one of the Win 70 rifles when there are none...

I would have to explain to him that not all BA rifles are model 70s...

And if he asks for an "AR type rifle" I'm going to ask which one...

If knuckle-head asks for an AR-10 when there are NONE, I'll say so not hand him "something" like one...

T.

stagpanther

But that would be like saying the only AR15 available is an ArmaLite.
Colt actually, I think. There sure are a bunch of arms websites that commonly list their weapons offerings under "AR 15" and "AR 10" category tabs.

BigBL87

Ya, everyone knew. Some people just like to nitpick. Your usage of AR-10 is the common usage. Just like most AR-15s aren't actually AR-15s but people still know what you mean when you say it, when you say AR-10 people know you're talking about an AR-10 pattern rifle.

The reason it can make a difference is, like I mentioned above, AR-10 style rifles are not as standardized as AR-15 style rifles, in that in AR-10s you have the DPMS pattern and the Armalite pattern which do not interchange quite a few parts

crashdummy

My AR-10 is a real one, an Armalite target model. I like everything about it except for carrying it.
With a mounted scope and full 10 rd magazine it weighs 12 lbs.
One consideration of an Armalite rifle is the magazine situation.
They make an A and a B model that take different mags.
The B uses the gen 2 armalite mags, while the A uses the DPMS/pmag mags.
Both are readilly available.