affordable 45 colt lever gun?

sixgunnin

Any ideas on what's the best production lever gun for hard use/abuse? I am looking for a straight stock, top eject, 16'' in .45 colt. I am not really looking to pay more than $450

Jbar4Ranch

Hard use/abuse and top eject makes a '92 your only choice. Gunbroker has them listed for as little as $463.55, + shipping & transfer fee, of course. Sometimes, better deals come around - I found a new Rossi .44 mag carbine on closeout at Chestnut Ridge Outfitters three years ago for $397, shipped.

Put a spring kit in 'em, get rid of that goofy top mounted safety on the bolt, and they make a very decent rifle. At the very least, the ejector spring needs to be modified or swapped out for something lighter.

TruthTellers

Rossi 92. New they'll cost around $500, but you might find them for $450 or less used.

Quality and fit/finish aren't going to be top notch, but if you can do some work to take off sharp edges, work the action smooth, etc. it's a good choice. Accuracy you can expect 5 MOA from all the sources I've read that reviewed the Rossi 92 in .45 Colt.

Working up your own loads will improve that, but it's not a 1 or even 2 MOA gun.

Old Stony

Accuracy out of one can surprise you sometimes. I shot this from 50 yds....the first three shots out of a slightly used Rossi in 45 colt with buckhorn sights. I picked up a bag of ammo that I had loaded for something else quite some time ago and just plunked a few targets at the range.

FishinLuke

I just snagged a Winchester 94 Trapper 45 Colt for $390 off a local guy. But probs my not going to find those deals often.

Hawg

I would be leary of the 94 for hard use as it's a long action designed for a rifle cartridge and many of them don't work well with pistol length cartridges.

cpt-t

sixgunnin: I have several Lever Action Rifles in 45LC, and I enjoy them all. I bought a SS Rossie 20 inch round barreled 92 in 45LC 15+ years ago to Cowboy Shoot with. It is one of my favorite 45LC rifles and I have used it for just about everything Cowboy Action Shooting, Steel Silhouettes, Deer & Pig Hunting, Walking Around Rifle, SD & HD both, I have shot it without dought 1000`s of times. And I have never had any type of problems with it. And it is very accurate for me with 7grs of Win 231 & a Hard Cast LRNFP bullet.
ken

Jbar4Ranch

As Hawg already posted, the Winchester M94 action is not very well suited to the .45 Colt cartridge. Additionally, I think all .45 Colt M94's are built on the AE action, so it might not fit the OP's top eject specification.

Hawg

I think all .45 Colt M94's are built on the AE action,

They are. I'm not sure when Winchester chambered their first one in .45 Colt but the angle eject came out in 1983 and nobody chambered a rifle in .45 Colt until Uberti did it in 1984 or 1985.

eastbank

i have a 94 AE legacy winchester rifle (full magizine tube) in .44 mag that has a short lever throw and solid shell lifter(not stamped) that has not been a problem in several thousand rounds. eastbank.