Advise on hunting around predators...

std7mag

Well, looking at the pics from the game cameras this past couple of months got me to thinking of the predators that are around my hunting grounds.
I have 3 pictures of black bears, various coyote, and a bobcat.

Unlike my friends that have permission on some farms around the area, I'm hunting in the woods. As in close to 1 mile away from the parking area.

Deer archery season starts Saturday. Along with the bow, will be the 45 on my side. However I usually don't shoot at anything that I don't eat.

Any advise???

bird_dog

My experiences with bobcats are limited. From what I've seen, they are very timid and you'll never encounter them up close.

I've successfully hunted bears and coyotes for a long time. Bears are curious and will occasionally come check you out, but can easily be scared off if they get too close. On the rare occasions they attack people, it's usually because they're old and starving and either have injuries, or have worn-down teeth. I carry a .45 or .44 in bear country, but I usually feel just as comfortable without it.

Coyotes...there are recent stories of packs attacking people but, like the above two animals, they are the exception rather than the rule. Coyotes tend to be hyper aware, especially of noise and movement, and are usually easily freaked out. Wave your arms, and they're gone.

I'd say you're a lucky person to have all those animals around your hunting grounds. Enjoy them.

As for eating? Bear is delicious. As for shooting things just from a trophy perspective (coyote, cat), that's a call only you can make.

I am confused. What advice are you looking for? Are you concerned about personal safety or about how such predators will affect your hunting?

If you don't shoot anything you don't eat, then don't shoot the predators if you don't plan to eat them, not unless they threaten you, although cat and bear can be fairly tasty from what I understand.

However I usually don't shoot at anything that I don't eat.
Any advise???
Only one word in that sentence bothers me. (usually)_:eek:

If anything brings woodsy animals in close for a look see like bear, dogs & cats is the smell of tasty humans food.

If you were bow hunting over bait for bear. Then I would say carrying a sidearm is most appropriate. For deer. If you intend to hunt with corn or grain as a attractant while sitting in a ground blind this time of year. {again it is a good idea.} Then again I always promote >When hunting alone.<
If carrying makes you feel secure in that forest environment. By all means do!! >if< allowed too by State Law.

You say the parking lot is a mile from where you hunt. Uff-da!! That Sir is one l~ong drag for a arrow'ed deer.

jmr40

I've had bobcats, and coyote come to my duck and turkey calls. They stalked pretty close at times before spotting me and running off. Once while walking into a beaver pond before dawn on a duck hunt I actually had a bobcat waiting alongside the trail in ambush. There was a bright, full moon so I didn't need a light. He waited until I was less than 3' from him before he realized I wasn't a deer or turkey and bolted.

I also hunt in many areas where bear are more common than deer. The seasons overlap for the most part, so bear are legal game. I also spend a lot of time in the same areas before and after hunting season. I'm not really worried about bobcats or coyote, but always carry a handgun suitable for bear.

Any 357mag revolver (properly loaded) is big enough for black bear. I carry a Glock 10mm loaded hot simply because the gun is lighter and more compact than my revolvers. Either is a good choice as long as you pay attention to the loads. The 44 mags and larger guns certainly work, but aren't really needed for black bear. Your 45 isn't ideal, but with good loads is acceptable. Certainly better than nothing.

As Spats says, bear are rarely interested in you, but any food you may have. But here is the problem, you cannot control what other hunters or hikers have done minutes, hours, or days earlier. If others that came before you have allowed a bear to get food from them they have trained that bear. When you come along the bear will be expecting the same from you. This is the root cause of most black bear encounters, and they are more common than many think. There have been 2 deaths, 3-4 injuries to go along with at least a dozen encounters within a 1/2 day drive of where I live within the last dozen or so years.

You say the parking lot is a mile from where you hunt. Uff-da!! That Sir is one l~ong drag for a arrow'ed deer.

The last bear I shot ( 260 lbs) was a 2 mile drag, and that is about as close to the road as I get. I just put in 4 miles of walking this morning and 10-12 miles in a day is typical during turkey season. A 6 mile walk with a 12 lb turkey will wear on you. Big game shot that far from the road is carried out in pieces. Bones and all other non-edible stuff stays behind.

Doyle

Big game shot that far from the road is carried out in pieces.

That's my plan this year too. This will be my first season since '82 hunting on "big" public land. I bought a new backpack that has a huge expandable outside pouch area. It should easily accomodate the 45 or so lbs of quarters and cut meat that you would get from a whitetail.

T. O'Heir

Wiley, Yogi and Kitty are not interested in you. Especially Kitty. Kitty doesn't feed on deer. Kitty is too small to tangle with Bambi. A turkey on the other hand is just right.
Bambi is too big for Wiley too, if he doesn't bring a few buddies.
Yogi is too busy putting on fat by eating every berry he can find to be bothered with something that smells of nothing but trouble. The only reason a healthy bear will deal with you forthwith is if it's Cindy and you appear to be a hazard to her kids.
Don't understand the fear ya'll have that you think will be fixed with a handgun. Especially while hunting. A .45 will just annoy a big bear and you will never be fast enough if either Yogi or Cindy come for you from less than 100 yards. Not likely fast enough from over 100 yards either. They can cover that in less than 6 seconds.
"...the 45 or so lbs. of quarters..." Small deer.

Barnacle Brad

Unless you roll around in a gut pile before you walk back to your rig after dark, you will be fine. The last thing you want to do is smell like dinner alone in the woods with predators stalking you. And whatever you do, don't run from them...

Mobuck

I know of two bowhunters who were "treed" by black bears(one actually in a tree and the other made it to the top of a large rock). The bowhunter who was up the tree finally had to shoot the bear(illegally) with a 9mm handgun while the guy on the rock waved his bow and threw chunks of rock until the bear moved off(he could easily have killed it except his bow quiver broke off as he climbed the face of the rock).
I wouldn't be concerned about coyotes or bobcats but a hungry or mother bear could be a real problem. Be sure your state regs allow you to pack a handgun.

std7mag

Thanks all for the replies!!

The "usually" part of it is for protection, I'll shoot, otherwise, I just watch them walk on by.

My concern was being so far in the woods, not along a field, and I just created a meal for any of the above mentioned critters. aka gut pile, and dead deer.

As for bear, or bobcat climbing the tree. Lets just say they wouldn't get far up it... lol

I do have a carry permit for PA. While it isn't a "sporting" gun I'm carrying, it is legal for defense. Doesn't specify human or otherwise.

Crankylove

We've had lions and coyotes come into camp to try and steal hanging elk/antelope quarters.............the slightest sound from us and they're gone.

The area we hunt is littered with black bear scat, tracks (fresh, I swear some of them are still warm when we come across them), shredded logs, and dug up bee hives.................but in our years hunting there, we've never had a bit of trouble, even with all our food and the aforementioned elk around us.

Most wild animals don't like stinky, noisy humans, and will put quite a bit of effort into avoiding you. If you're worried about them while you're dragging your bloody deer back to the truck.............. talk/sing to your self, make a bit of noise. Let's them know your coming, and that your not the usual meal, so they can run away before they get too close.

Don't irritate 'em, or corner them, and you're fine.

I carry a pistol on all my hunts (my CCW allows me to carry even during archery and muzzleloader), but it's more for protection against two legged predators than the four legged kind.

mete

The black bear cubs have ONE defense to climb a tree .They do that fast ,adults a little slower. I think bobcats do also. Mountain lions certainly do ! There was one incident with bears in PA that was interesting . Man came out of a store , saw a bear and climbed a tree to get away from the bear. He didn't know there were cubs in the tree !!:eek: Things got exciting for a bit !:D

Recent black bear attacks --5 college students in NJ - a bear was following them ,they got scared and ran in 5 directions . The worst thing you could do NEVER try to run from a bear .They go 35 mph ,man goes 20 mph. Stick together ,face the bear. make noise .
WI - bow hunter hits a bear . hunter tries to find him .Bear attacks .Hunter mauled .
Woman mauled while walking her dogs .Too many try to save the pets . The dogs probably excited the bear but dogs have a better chance if off the leash.

Many states like NY prohibit carrying firearms when bow hunting. If you do carry for bear a 44 mag with ammo giving good penetration is fine.

If you camp in a tent keep food and cooking away from the tent ,50-100 yds.

std7mag

Don't have a 44mag. I carry my 1911 with 185gr. flat nose, and hollow points, pushed as fast as I can get them. (within the safety limits of the manuals)

As for mountain lion... The game commission here in PA insists that there are NO mountain lions in the state! Period!
If you take a pic of one on the game camera, you got it from another state. If you say you saw one, you are mistaken.
If you shoot one, you will be fined, possible jail time for illegally bringing the carcass in from another state.:eek:

Story going around is that one of our senators or such was having a party, outdoors. Looking out across a field, a mountain lion was seen. Game commission called. Went something like this.

Caller: I want to report a sighting of a mountain lion.

DCNR: Sir, I'm afraid you are mistaken. There are no mountain lions in PA.

Caller: Well, I watched it walk across a field, along with about 50 party goers.

DCNR: Sir, I'm afraid your mistaken. There are NO mountain lions in PA. You probably saw a house cat.

Caller: Let me rephrase.... I'm Senator Such and Such. Are you sure you want to keep your stance on this???

:D