Advice?

divemedic

I bought my first handgun in 1989, a S&W model 59. Since then, I have owned and do own quite a few different handguns. I have owned Beretta, Taurus, Glock, Ruger, Sig, and others. Calibers of .22, 9mm, .32, .40S&W, .38 Spl, .357 Sig, and .45 ACP.

With all of that, one type of pistol I have never owned is a 1911. I didn't like the way the ones we had in the military shot, so I never was interested in getting one. I think I would like to try one now.

Today at a local gun store, I saw a couple of used Kimbers there on consignment.

1 Was a stainless pro carry for $799
2 was a TLE stainless with night sights for $999

So my questions are:

1 Are either of these decent handguns?
2 Is one better than the other?
3 Is the TLE $200 better?
4 Are those prices good, or can I do better?

MPanova

Those prices sound a little high to me but Im not a fan of Kimber's

If it were my money I would spend it on the Taurus PT1911 and save some cash and get what is in my opinion a better gun.

tony pasley

I agree they seem a little high. What are you wanting it for? There are many different brands of 1911s out there to chose from from about $400.00 to the shy is the limit. I have many different makes but my favorites are the Colts.

Silentarmy

Try Dan Wesson

CZ bought Dan Wesson a while back and they continue to produce the Pointman Seven in .45 and 10mm. This gun for around $700-750 has all the "custom" additions that you would spend well over $1500 for on any other gun and is in my opinion as good as any other 1911 out there! I fired a SA Rob Leatham and I still believe I got the better gun in my DW for $1500 less! There is alot of Yakity schmakity about Kimber VS....... Kimber has outgrown its britches and now requires a $40,000 min order to be a dealer! They can keep their overrated **** and keep believing that they are somehow superior while the rest of us shoot something else!

CrazyIvan007

With all of that, one type of pistol I have never owned is a 1911. I didn't like the way the ones we had in the military shot, so I never was interested in getting one. I think I would like to try one now.

Congrats on the change of heart.

A lot of people who have been in the military don't like the way the 1911's they used shoot. What you have to understand is those 1911's in the military used in training are very old, very used and very unkept. They are very loose, very worn internally and have been dropped, kicked and mutilated. Yet, they still work, which is awesome. They just don't feel that great to use.

I think you will highly enjoy a new or slightly used 1911 model handgun which you get to pick out.

Search google for torture tests on the brand/model you are thinking about and see if you can get your hands on one to practice with if at all possible. You should feel the difference. Add an ergo-grip and you will be off to the races.

Some nice brands you can get in that price range new are Kimber, Colt, and Para Ordinance. I like Para Ordinance, myself.

Here is a nice video feature of the Para Ordinance brand:
http://www.paraord.com/videos/paraGR.htm

Congrats, again.

ghalleen

1 Was a stainless pro carry for $799
2 was a TLE stainless with night sights for $999

So my questions are:

1 Are either of these decent handguns?
2 Is one better than the other?
3 Is the TLE $200 better?
4 Are those prices good, or can I do better?

Both of these are very nice handguns, but I think as used firearms, the prices are high.

The TLE is their Tactical Law Enforcement model, and obviously is targeted at police officers. A friend of mine has one and I've been very impressed with it.

jmorrell

The prices on the used Kimbers are too high: a brand new Stainless TLE II can be had for around $1000 ($999.99 at impactguns.com). I've owned a Stainless TLE II for two years now, and I couldn't be any happier with it.

pistolet1

You should also take a look at Springfield Armory's vast selection of different models of the 1911. And you might also want to consider another caliber other than .45; most manufacturer's offer 9mm., Super .38, 40 S&W, and 10mm. as well. I don't think you should necessarily limit your choices to a couple of used Kimbers that your local gun shop has to offer. Try taking in a gun show if there's any in your area; I think you'll be amazed at the choices available to you. Good hunting.

kjdoski

Those prices sound pretty high for used Kimbers, but I've been out of that market for a while, so I could be out of touch.

I've owned numerous Kimbers, all of which were fantastic pistols. HOWEVER, all of them were "series I" pistols, without the dreaded and horrible external extractor; and without the "drop" safety. I've heard WAY too many horror stories of problems with the "Series II" Kimbers to ever buy one.

I've heard nothing but good things about S&W 1911s, and they seem to come nicely equipped for a decent price.

Regards,

Kevin

CrazyIvan007

I've got a RIA 1911 Officer's model. It hasn't failed me yet, but for once when it was my fault and mis-ejected. I carry it when wondering the wilderness and at the range. It is nice cause I don't have to worry about marring up the finish, since it is a matte finish anyway, not all shiny like many other brands.

I got it NIB. It was marked $440. But, I got the dealer to sell it to me for $400.

RAI2.JPG

wuluf

A new Kimber Custom II cost about 600-650 here in CA. I have two kimbers, the Custom II and an ultra carry II. Both are great guns, accurate and reliable.

I agree with most, the Kimber prices are high, and I personally am not a fan of Kimber. 1911 however, is a great gun if you get non-military issued models. I personally favor Taurus, Smith & Wesson, and Springfield. If you would like for me to quote you a price on any, shoot me a message. I will give you my best deal, shipped to your FFL.

Good Luck in your pistol hunt!

divemedic

Well, I don't think it is fair to say anything until it is broken in, but here goes:

colt_combat_commander_xs-1.jpg

I tried it out on ball ammo first. Using 25 yard bullseye targets at 10 yards, the first 2 rounds didn't hit the paper. Then, the next 5 made a 2 inch group. I don't think I was used to the trigger on those first two. After the first mag, I shot consistent 2 inch groups with it at 10 yards.

I shot a variety of ammo through it, including a few Cor Bon 230 grain +P. Of the 100 rounds I fired, I experienced 2 failures to go into battery. I am not sure why that happened, but I am suspecting that the recoil spring is still a little stiff. Both failures happened with ball ammo.

I won't compete or carry a weapon until I have had a few sessions with it, and I have put at least 500 rounds through it, so I am not worried.

The perceived recoil was a bit more than with my Sig 220, but to be fair, the Sig is a bit heavier AND has custom grips, while the Colt was out of the box with factory grips. Even so, the recoil was less that what I get with my Sig 229 .357 Sig, but while the Sigs tend to recoil straight back, the Colt's muzzle wants to 'flip'

The trigger is smooth on the Colt, and I like the feel of the shorter, lighter pull.

I will be shooting this one some more, and I am sure the minor glitches will straighten out.

44 AMP

Staff
I havew been out of the loop for a while

on 1911s, but are you certain that gun is a NIB Colt Commander? The rear sight, the beavertail grip safety, the abidexterous thumb safety and front slide serrations, and that hammer are features I would think are found on a custom gun. Like I said, I have not been looking at what Colt has been offering for several years (I already have mine), but back in the day 20-30 years ago, the Commander only had the features of the standard (GI) Govt Model, except for size, and of course the commercial finish.

If all those features are "standard" on a Colt gun today, we really have come a long way!

FYI, the last time the US military bought any new 1911A1s was 1945! They cancelled further purchases at the end of WWII. Guess they figured they had enough pistols! Those guns have been maintained by GI repairman, whose only criteria was function. I know, having been one. One of the guns I worked on back in the mid 70s was actually a 1911 (not 1911A1)! Having been in service for half a century and more, it is no wonder that those GI guns deliver somewhat less than new gun performance, particularly in the accuracy dept. But as one poster said, they still work, and I don't doubt that no matter how bad they group on paper, you could still hit a man at close range, which is all the military expects them to do anyway.

dgludwig

Divemedic: You say that your Sig 220's "perceived recoil" was more than the 1911 because it was heavier. All things being equal a heavier firearm should recoil less than a lighter one. Too, the 220 with a 5" barrel weighs 33 ozs. on average (it has an alloy frame) and a typical 1911 with a 5" barrel will weigh around 39 ozs. (they have steel frames) so the 220 should recoil more than its 1911 equivalent.

divemedic

1 not a pic of the actual firearm, my camera is broken

2 the comments about the weight were my bad. The recoils on the 1911 was stiffer than the 220