Advice sought...Bushmaster M4 or Fulton Armory FAR-15?

CortJestir

Well, bad time to get into the AR-15 market, I know. With that out of the way, I'm considering the purchase of either a Bushy M4 or a custom-built AR-15 from Fulton Armory.

If I can find one, the Bushmaster M4 will probably go for MSRP ($1300!!) or more. It is what it is.

If I go the Fulton Armory route, the wait is 10 weeks and the cost will be a little less than current local market price for the Bushmaster.

So what would you do in my situation? Considering the quality of both rifles, is it better to pay a little less and wait the 10 weeks for the Fulton Armory? Or would you wait it out and see what the prices are come this summer?

Your thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ

Lavid2002

Why only two?

What restricts your purchase to only these two rifles?

If you have more options available there are a handfull of other top-notch brands out there. Im sure you can get a grade A ar for less than 1,300. 1K is about the right price for a nice AR. As far as waiting time goes...ten weeks is about the standard so try to imagine everything without it. I.E. Bushys wait is 13 weeks while fulton is 11. Bushmaster is 3 more weeks than avg, while fulton is only one. it helps put everything into perspective :p

CortJestir

Thanks, Lavid...no reason to restrict it to these brands, but I forgot to mention that I do live in an AWB state so I am restricted to those manufacturers that offer a post-ban rifle. Of the ones that I know make post-ban AR-15 type rifles (S&W/Colt, Bushmaster, SIG), Bushmaster seemed to be the most cost effective.

Are there others I should consider?

wjkuleck

Thank you for your consideration of Fulton Armory.

Please allow me to mention that Fulton Armory has won every comparison test in which a Fulton Armory rifle has participated. Here's a recent review of the FAR-15 UPR:

GW_FAR-15_UPR-400_50.jpg

The privilege of your custom is much appreciated.

Regards,

Walt

lipadj46

Thanks, Lavid...no reason to restrict it to these brands, but I forgot to mention that I do live in an AWB state so I am restricted to those manufacturers that offer a post-ban rifle. Of the ones that I know make post-ban AR-15 type rifles (S&W/Colt, Bushmaster, SIG), Bushmaster seemed to be the most cost effective.

I am not sure of the specific CT laws but in NY state our ban is exactly like the federal ban was and any AR is legal as long as it does not have a flash suppressor and is not threaded to accept one. So that means any muzzle compensator would have to be permanently attached or the muzzle just be left unthreaded. So what I am saying is check your laws but most manufacturers will have a ban state legal configuration.

jager

Add to specific CT laws

The other 2 restrictions for CT are the , folding or telesocoping stock, and bayonet mount. Of course you can have the stock as long as it is not able too function . :rolleyes:

lipadj46

Yeah that sounds like the same as NY state which is the same as the defunct federal AWB. Like I said most of the AR manufacturers should be have a Ban legal model or they will build one.

sailskidrive

Definitely the Fulton...

I have two Fulton built AR15s and can't say enough good things about them. The fit and finish are perfect and the "worked" military trigger saves you a bundle.

The only complaint I have about them is that their shipping prices are kind of ridiculous, I just ordered $120 worth of small parts from them this morning and they charged me $20 to ship a package weighing about 1 pound. I live right up the road from them and used to pick up my orders but they no longer have customer hours. As soon as they restore there Friday pick up hours I'll be ordering a .308 Titan, but in the mean time I'm going to pay $50 to ship it 5 miles and then pay an addition $50 to the FFL to transfer it.

But back to their incredible rifles, I went to the range this weekend with a good friend of mine. He commented how the $200 trigger on his Rock River carbine didn't feel as good as the standard trigger on my FAR-15. I was also getting better groups with the same ammo by a good 1", must be the Krieger barrel.

~Sail

acsnyda

Read before you buy

Before buying any AR I highly suggest taking several hours and reading Walt's book "The AR15 Complete Owner's Guide". A little education before your purchase will make you much happier with what ever you decide on. That being said, wait the 10 weeks it will give you time to save up the difference and you will be happier for it for years to come.