Advice requested, custom build contemplated

Poindexter

I have an idea in my mind for a revolver that I can't buy.

What I want is a Ruger Montado (3.75" bbl, plough handle grip, .45 Colt), but I don't want the polished stainless finish.

So would it be better/faster/ cheaper/ smarter to buy a new vaquero in the satin stainless finish I do like and have the barrel cut down and ejector housing modified, or would it make more sense to buy a Montado and have it refinished?

Either way, I am going to have to have the hammer modified. I really really like the hammer on my 3.75" birds head vaquero. Mine is in blue and I am keeping it. The Montado hammer is closer to what I want on the finished gun, but not it exactly. Another reason to think about refinishing a Montado is the base pin. Whasshisname on the mountain doesn't make base pins for 3.75" bbl Rugers.

I did buy a piece of fiddle back looking walnut yesterday for future grips. I will be going with a wider front sight blade and having the rear sight trough wallowed out a bit.

FWIW I am planning to open carry this gun once its finished anytime I open carry. Also, I am hoping with the standard grip on it it will be easier to practice with. I am loading 8.8 to 9.0 grains of Unique under 250-255 gr cast bullets, extended practice with the birdshead is no fun.

Poindexter

Yup, it's looking like it depends on the smith. I found one or two who could do the re-finishing.

I haven't found one that wants to cut down a longer barrel and modify the ejector, but I am confident I -could- find one.

A third option for me would be to start with a Lipsey's Sheriff and have it drilled up and re-rifled from 44 Spec to 45 Colt. Haven't found a smith that wants to take that on just yet either. Sounds like the most expensive option, but probably would give the tightest tolerances on the finished gun.

jackmoser65

All stainless Vaqueros and New Vaqueros have the bright polish. By far, you are better off buying the configuration you want and having it refinished.