Advice Regarding Youngsters and Firearms

TexRanger

I have a 12-year-old son who would like to get involved in shooting and I am seeking advice.

His dream, for some time, has been to go into the Marine Corps. I know that he is young and that could change but he is very focused and disciplined and so, I am trying to encourage him. He is very smart, very stong, involved in martial arts, and extremely patriotic.

I would like to get him involved in shooting, aside from his Airsoft pursuits but would like to know with what to start.

1) Personally, I have a Springfield 1911, Taurus PT145, Ruger Super Redhawk, and a Puma .480 Carbine but am in the process of adding a Beretta 92FS to the collection. I wondered if it would be best to start my son with the 9mm Beretta. Is there a better pistol for younger beginners? I know that the Beretta is a bit on the large side. He is 5' and about 95 lbs.

2) Regarding rifle work, I supposed that the best way to start would be with a .22. Any opinions?

3) Are there any recommendations regarding books which might be helpful for either him or me (e.g. Jeff Cooper, etc.)?

I would love for him to become proficient in the use of both pistols and rifles, if possible, and hope to get him involved in some of the camps which the Texas Rifle Association offer. I would certainly appreciate any advice which the members of the board might be able to offer.

Thanks,

John

1911rocks

Youngsters Learning to shoot

I use to teach a Women's self defense course. The biggest take away is to allow the new shooter to select his learning weapon, with a small amount of guidance. It's like a kid in band who's parent picked the Instrument...low probability of the best outcome. I always taught firearms as an extension or form of martial arts. I use to teach Shorin Ryu Karate and saw the same principles in defensive shooting. Lastly, not that it works for everyone, my children, daughter and son, both had to pay for the gun, ammo and clean the weapon at the end of each shooting session. It's funny, my son's first gun was a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22. His first shooting session was ~ 200rds. His next session was <100 rds. Why, "I don't want to shoot all my ammo at one time". He beacame a DMR for the 11th MEU.

4EVERM-14

If at all possible I would strongly suggest locating a local club with a junior marksmanship program. Position rifle shooting with other young people is a good entrance into the shooting sports. .22 rimfire target rifle shooting at difficult targets requires focusing on Safety, fundamentals of marksmanship and has potential for progression to greater things like Highpower Service Rifle. aka AR-15, M16, Marine Corp Rifle Team, Catch my drift?
With other youngsters around doing the same thing new friends and a little competitiveness can grow.
Check with your state association for a club or program that may work for you.

Doc Intrepid

I think I'd be inclined to get him a .22 caliber rifle and just take him day hiking in the woods somewhere near where you live.

At 12 years old, I was more inclined to just have fun - and spending time with my Dad wandering around in the woods was quality time. He may only shoot at pine cones, or you might take a little wire hanger and hang a paper target off it, but I bet you both come away a bit richer for the experience.

Good way to teach him about the fundamentals of gun safety, and some years later, other things as well, as these other things are bound to come up.

One day he'll move on, and you'll be glad you spent that time with him and the .22 in the woods...

A guy who remembers.

GM1967

I plan to teach my kids mostly on a .22 (either pistol or rifle) to start with.

I also highly recommend a revolver for teaching new shooters. Not only is it simpler to operate, but you can load it with some live rounds and some expended shells, with the new shooter not knowing which ones are live, then let them shoot it. When the hammer falls on one of the expended rounds, you (and they) will be able to easily see if they are flinching or anticipating the recoil