Advice on scope mounts Savage 10FP

wingman

Looking to purchase a Savage 10FP 223 used for target shooting current maximum range of 300 yards, I plan on using a Nikon 6x18x40 or a Burris 6x18X42, mostly I'm confused on bases and rings, I like the idea of one piece base anyone have suggestions.? I've searched a number of threads but having a difficult time locating correct bases and ring height needed. I would like to stay in a medium price range.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
You don't need a one piece on a Savage .223. Just get a set of Weaver bases, and some Weaver Tactical rings. That will be more than solid enough for a .223. You can spend the extra money on more ammo.
Bases are 4 bucks each, the rings are 25 or something like that.

Bogie

Yup... Some folks will tell you that a one-piece base will stiffen the action.

Look at those little tiny screws... If that action is bending enough for the scope base to have an effect, don't you think those little buggers would get sheared off?

I'd go with the Weaver bases, but I'd differ with George on the rings - I -really- like the Leupold QRW (quick release weaver) rings. They actually maintain a fairly decent zero, even with off & on treatment.

JAYBIRD78

Just bought a 10FP in .308

I went with Warne brand bases and rings. One thing about firearms is that you can spend as much as you want. I went with a one piece base because my last rifle had two-piece base. I don't really drink the kool-aid with a stiffer action with the one piece though. Variety is the spice of life. The base was around $75 and the rings were around $75 from SWFA. I had to email several times for them to get their butts in gear. I will order from them again however.

My last savage I but on burris/leupold bases/rings and have been just as happy.

Depends on how much that money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Im sure the next post will bash you for buying a Savage.:rolleyes:

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
The Savage action is so over built for a .223, or even a .308, that it is going to have zero flex. Any play will be in the barrel or in the action's bedding... not in the action.
I have seen Remingtons showing signs of flexations in the action. Using a Burris or Leupold type front dovetail, the ears on the rear ring that is held by windage screws to the rear base get sheared off. No movement in the scope at the front or rear rings, but the flex tears the rear ring off the base. This usually happens with .300 RUM rifles. We've also seen it on Accumarks in .30-378WBY mags. Those guns, I like solid one piece bases.

wingman

Lot of good info guys think I will try some local dealers and see what they have in stock so i can look at various set ups. I agree with the 223 very little recoil should not be difficult to set everything up without any movement or flex.

Jimro

EGW makes a decent one piece base for not much money.

You don't need it for any structural reason, but a one piece rail offers a little more adjustment as to where you put the rings to get proper eye relief and where the rings grip the scope tube.

Jimro

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
You don't need it for any structural reason, but a one piece rail offers a little more adjustment as to where you put the rings to get proper eye relief and where the rings grip the scope tube.
Which is what you need on a Savage Long Action gun. Those things are so long, most scopes can't mount on it without such a base. In fact, those are so long, it could become a new standard of measurement. Like Cubits or Courics.

"Turn left and go 50 Savages and then hang a right."
"Fifty Savages?"
"Yeah, that's about 5 blocks."
"Oh."

ch47gunner

I would do the one piece mount for a long distance build. The two piece for a hunting build.
The one piece will give a more trued platform for the base and will also ensure that the rings are inline and true to the reciever/scope.
The Badger Ordanance mounts are probably about the best.
But the Ken Farrell mounts are what I used on my sons 10FP in .308, my 10FP in .308, and my nephew's Savage 12VLP in .223.
Both Badger & Farrell make matching Tactical rings for their mounts but, they are pricey.
I used Warne Maxima QD rings on my 10FP, as I like the vertical split rings.
Here's a pic of my 10FP.
And a link to Ken Farrell's site.

Bruce

http://www.kenfarrell.com/index.html?id=ryf4ek4C

Savage 10FP in .308, w/ Ken Farrell 15MOA mount & Warne Maxima rings.
P8290012.jpg

P8290011.jpg

Last edited:

skinewmexico

I used the Dednutz one-piece base combo on my daughter's gun, and it's a great value. I've got some Farrells, they are nice as far as biving you a wide range of mounting adjustments. If you go with Burris Signature Zee rings, you can always get offset rings later if you want some MOA adjustment to shoot beyone 300. And they don't screw up your scope, and don't need to be lapped.

mateostyle

Savage 10FP Base, Rings, Scope

I just recently outfitted my Savage 10FP with a base, rings and scope. I searched a lot of forums to see what others were using but didn't find a lot of info out there except for this thread and one or two others. After ordering rings, and sending back due to incorrect height (basically, trial and error approach) I wound up with the following setup:

Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope Rail for Savage with 20 MOA
Nightforce 0.885" Low Steel Ring Set for 30mm Scopes
Millett TRS-1 50mm scope

With this setup, I have approximately 1/8" inch between the scope (with sunshade on and barrel).

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 304
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 221

PawPaw

George Hill said:
Which is what you need on a Savage Long Action gun. Those things are so long, most scopes can't mount on it without such a base. In fact, those are so long, it could become a new standard of measurement. Like Cubits or Courics.
Ha! I've said for years that only astronomers can measure the length of a Savage long action. There's light-years between those rings.

So, any ideas on the unit of measurement?

NoSecondBest

I recently purchased a Savage in 243 and needed to decide which rings and base to use. Based on my experience, and the advice of some very knowledgible shooters I chose a Warne one piece tactical mount and Warne QD rings. I didn't bore sight it, I just put a piece of cardboard out at 100 yds and took a sighter shot. It hit four inches low and six inches left. Made two adjustments and tried again. First group was three shots in a little under a half inch. Next five shots were right at .5 inch. My understanding is that Savages can be a little off for hole alignment due to their finishing operation on the receiver. Not much but enough to sometimes cause the rings to mis align. The one piece keeps the rings "true". Seemed to work for me.
P.S.- almost forgot. I used ammo I loaded 28 years ago to sight in with. In case anyone is wondering how long ammo is good for...at least 28 years. My last 243 was a Savage 112V. It was also a shooter. Should have kept it.