Advice on purchasing A Beretta 92FS

45_Shooter

Guys,

I'm not a Beretta shooter, and honestly prefer other handguns for my use. However, a member of the family would like one to practice with, as the M9 is their issue gun. So I'm asking you guys, anything in particular to look for or avoid?

I've heard of the new 'improved' locking blocks (do they still break? or has this been fixed?), but I've also heard of the newer guns having plastic parts in them and hence being less desirable. Does Italian vs. USA made offer an advantage?

Thanks,

amd6547

Current gen M9's have the plastic parts (or, in some cases, plastic coated metal parts). This is a product improvement, not a cost-saving measure. Any recently produced 92FS should have the upgraded locking block. There is a sticky on Berettaforum which shows what they look like. Locking blocks are about $60 and the latest version is fully compatable with earlier 92's.
As far as Italian versus American, there is no functional reason to choose one of the other.
There are alot of used Beretta 92FS's around at good prices. I got mine used, a "police special" marked variant. It quickly became my favorite HD weapon, and is my goto pistol.

gglass

If you would like to purchase the best out of the box shooter of the 92 line, you should track down an 92 Elite II. This is the version that you would see on the competition shooting circuits.

BillCA

The only reason you might buy an Italian made specimen is that the finish is much nicer. In shooting my Italian next to a US made 92FS I was hard pressed to come up with any signficant differences.

I resisted the 92FS for years because I didn't like the feel of the grip or the large size of the gun. When shooting one, however, you quickly realize this is a very good shooting pistol with very good accuracy.

Now... if they would only make a 4" .45ACP version... :p

amd6547

Something else to think about...If your family member wants one to practice with because it is their issue weapon, then you want one similar to their issue weapon. Commercial 92FS's have a slight contour on the top rear of the grip which is not present on the military M9 (or original 92FS). It is not a huge difference, but I would want to practice with a pistol that feels identical.
If you go the used route, you can save alot os $$.
The grip on the 92FS does feel large at first...my favorite 9mm has been the Browning HiPower, for decades, and in comparison, the 92FS was big. After handling it for a while, and shooting it a few times, it now feels great, and points very well for me, as well as being very soft shooting.
One advantage for your family member is being able to then accumulate some high quality magazines and have them available for duty. The coated sand resistan mags are considered top of the line. The MecGar 20rd mag with the finger extension is also a worthwhile addition, and I find it (just barely) fits in the standard ALICE mag pouch.

dgludwig

I like almost everything about the 92 and the only criticism I have is that it is big for its caliber. It's not too big,per se, but I have fairly large hands.

Tom2

I have seen plenty of used 92's at good prices, you might want to consider that route and save some green. That is if it is not a badly worn beater with a problem. Then again, the gun he is issued will probably be worn so he will not see any difference! I think the Berettas take a pretty good price drop when you drive them off the lot, therefore for a practice gun, a decent used one may be the way to go. I like the older ones with only plastic being the grips, myself, but I suppose it does not make any practical difference. Italian mades usually cost more just because they are Italian made, sort of a magic aura or something. I would not pay alot extra for that aspect, the US made one I have is superbly finished and fit. Good as a Sig in that way, IMO.

BillCA

I like almost everything about the 92 and the only criticism I have is that it is big for its caliber. It's not too big,per se, but I have fairly large hands.

I felt the same way... until I fired one. The weight really does make it pleasant to shoot and the sights are excellent - even for my old eyes. And you realize that you are shooting a service pistol like the 1911 Gov't model.

If Beretta would marginally scale up their old Beretta Model 84 .380 pistol into 9mm for a more compact 9mm pistol, that might be fun. It too, is overly large for it's caliber (.380) but it's a fine running machine too.