advice on how to remove a "backwards" primer

sks

I was priming some 9mm with the Lee Auto Prime and two of the primers flipped over and went in backwards. Any ideas on how to remove them? I'm sorely afraid that if I try to "deprime" them I'll shoot the primers off. This has never happened before so I'm in new territory. Should I just throw these away?

Thanks,

joneb

This happened to me, you can kill the primer with WD-40 (let it sit over night) or just slowly run it through the decapper . Ear and eye protection are advised

cuate

Primer Removal

I have done this a few times, I decapped them just like they were old fired primers, slow and easy, never had one to go off. Safety glasses might be in order and making sure that is no powder or other combustables near the press. I know, going to take flak on this but after use of dinamite, caps for same and OWE (nitro) in oilfields, one bassakerds primer ?

Chief-7700

Backwards primers

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!! Take a plastic cup pour some oil in it and dump the offending cases in the oil, let them soak for a day or so, them toss them.........
Chief-7700

Smokey Joe

Removing backwards primers

SKS--It happens now & again. No big deal.

Run the cases with backwards primers through your deprime/sizing die in your press. ALWAYS wear ear/eye/hand protection when you do this--it is possible, though very unlikely, to cause a primer to detonate.

Push the primers out S-L-O-W-L-Y and they should just drop out, no problem.

Since primers are set off by percussion, not by pressure, you are not likely to set them off this way. Should a primer detonate, it will just go bang, there will be some smoke, your die will not be hurt, nor will your press, nor will you if you had on the above-mentioned protection.

You can reprime properly the cases in question, with new primers (in which instance they are just 2 more cases in your batch, no more, no less) or with the removed primers (in which instance keep these cases separate and use them for fouling shots, or for plinking, or such. I have done this--100 re-used primers fired 100%.)

Reusing the removed primers gets you rid of them. Otherwise you should kill the removed primers--easiest way is by putting them on a rock and hitting them with a hammer. Use eye/ear/hand protection here, too!

I respectfully, but firmly, disagree with the above posters about oil and WD-40: There is no household (read: reasonably safe) chemical which has been shown to kill primers 100%, and discarding live primers without killing them is irresponsible. There is always the possiblility, however remote, of kids finding them and playing with them, or a little old lady stepping on one, or some such. So kill them--by hitting them--before discarding.

Last edited:

sks

Guys, thanks to all. I SLOWLY deprimed them with no problems. In fact the first one was out so easily that I did not realize it.

I was going to do the WD-40/Oil thing but what Smokey said made sense, "it is the percussion and not pressure that sets them off". At any rate it worked.

Smokey Joe: I busted them all with a hammer only suffered a few sparks to the hand. :)

I appreciate all of the input.

WESHOOT2

dollars and sense

Safety glasses should be mandatory when loading.

When in doubt throw it out.

I, too, have quietly deprimed live primers. I go slow.

Schmeisser

My way:
- kill primer w/WD-40 and insert case into shellholder
- put on full face motorcycle helmet
- wrap towel around the press
- SLOWLY move down lever.

Before I go to the range next time I'll soak a correctly primed case in WD-40 and fire it off there. I'm curious what happens.

Plink

Since primers are set off by percussion, not by pressure, you are not likely to set them off this way. Should a primer detonate, it will just go bang, there will be some smoke, your die will not be hurt, nor will your press, nor will you if you had on the above-mentioned protection.

Actually, pressure will set them off too. When I first began reloading back in the 70's, I used a manual priming tool. As an experiment, I took a few cases outside and adjusted the tool to let me seat them way to deep. Slow pressure was applied and they did indeed go off. They make a loud bang, but no harm done. It took quite a bit of pressure though and carefully depriming backwards primers doesn't set them off. I've had my share of those too. If one did pop, it wouldn't do anything but make a lot of noise.

for those who advocate throwing away or discarding the case,

get real folks !!

primers are NOT sticks of dynamite !!

just put the darn case back in the press and slowly push it out, if it makes you any more comfortable put a drop of penetrating oil in the primer and it is almost instantly rendered useless !!

sks

Mach II, you are correct that these are not sticks of dynamite. However, as this was my first experience I was initially suspect. I am glad that I gave it a try, next time I'll know and will simply push them out slowly, very slowly. At the worst it would go off into the press and that won't do any damage; except to my pride. :) I might have to change clothes or some of my clothes.

I will say that if one went off when I wasn't expecting it, that would scare the daylights out of me. When I busted them on the floor with a hammer it sounded just about like a normal gun shot.

I'm with you Schmiesser, next range visit I'm going to take a primed case soaked in WD40 and see what happens.

SKS,
i guess after 50+ years of reloading, i have encountered nearly every glitch a reloader can experience..., except double charging ! never done that as i visually check every case for proper powder level.

BTW i have inlaws living in St Charles !

TimRB

"I'm with you Schmiesser, next range visit I'm going to take a primed case soaked in WD40 and see what happens."

My hunch is that it will have a better than 50 percent chance of popping normally. I once soaked some primed brass in kerosene for weeks, and that wasn't enough to reliably kill them. Primers are tough; be cautious when reading internet wisdom about deactivating them.

Tim

Mal H

Staff
TimRB speaks true. There have been fairly scientific tests on the very subject of killing primers. They were soaked in various liguids (water, gun oil, WD-40, kerosene, Kroil oil, etc.) and tested for effective flash when fired in the normal manner in a firearm. Several brands were tested. If was found that some primers would be deadened a little by some of the liquids, but most would go off and some would go off as if there was nothing on them. It was further found that the primers soaked in the more volatile liquids (e.g., water, kerosene) would go off as usual after the liquid had been allowed to evaporate for a few days. IOW, the effect of the liquid was only temporary.

The compounds used in primers is of a percussive nature. If they are soaked in a liquid, there is not necessarily going to be a chemical change in the compounds. Even if there is, it may not go all the way through the primer pellet. So a percussion will still set it off.

Trying to kill primers is iffy at best and may give you a false sense of security about them.

I guess I don't understand the paranoia about throwing one or two of them in the trash. If there are children around who might rummage in the trash for little shiny objects, you may have a bigger problem than having them find a primer. Even so, if there are small children around, any adult worth being one can find a way to keep unusable primers away from the kids until they are firmly in the trash collector's hands. Once they are at a landfill, if they go off - so what? The "explosion" from them would pale in comparison to the aerosol cans and small propane bottles that go off there on a regular basis.

Also. those who are a bit paranoid about one going off as it is being removed from an empty case have never used one of the old Lee Loaders! :) Sure they might go bang very loudly, but in general it's not all that dangerous as long as the proper safety precautions are taken. Everyone should be wearing safety glasses when reloading anyway, whether removing live primers or not, strictly on a just-in-case basis.

One thing I would caution about is hitting primers with a hammer when the primer is out of a case. 99 times out a hundred, it's going to be relatively safe, but there is a chance that the anvil will not be caught by the hammer and can go flying at a very high speed. Now, the odds of it hitting anything important are even lower than that 99/100, but don't forget what everyone told Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" - "It'll put your eye out!" Eyes tend to be magnets for flying objects even behind safety glasses.

TimRB

"I guess I don't understand the paranoia about throwing one or two of them in the trash."

The "one or two" part of this reminds me of a story told by General Hatcher in his Notebook, where he describes a young man working at a primer factory. When last seen on this Earth, he was walking with a *bucket* of loose primers, apparently enjoying the sound they made as he shook them while walking. Oopsy. This is why they say always to keep primers stored in their factory packaging.

Tim