Advice on how to mail a shotgun

Dubletap45

I have a relative who wants to send me my grandfathers shotgun (he lives in Florida and I am in Oklahoma). Does anyone have any recommendations as to which company to use. My understanding is that anyone except the USPS will ship a firearm. Also do you have any suggestions on where to get an appropriate box. All I know about the gun is it was purchased before the depression and knowing a little about my GF it is not likely to be very valuable (to anyone but me). What about the transfer itself, what are the ATF's requirements. I would like to do it the right way if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

JK

More than likely you will have to have the firearm sent to a Person in your state that has a Federal Firearms License. United Parcel Post will ship firearms.
I do not know the laws of either state, so it would be best to talk with your local licensed firearms dealer about the transfer. Good Luck- John K

Walt Sherrill

I think (but am not sure) that long guns can be shipped through the mails. Its handguns that are a problem for a non-FFL holder.

I've received long guns using priority mail.

Check with your local post office for the proper answer. (Call the Postmaster's office.)

Its a LOT cheaper to use the mails, properly insured, perhaps even sent registered mail. Registered takes a lot longer, though.

Herodotus

My stockmaker recommends sending long guns by Federal Express. He says that the breakage rate form UPS is atrocious and he gets a lot of business because of them.
I myself would ship a long arm in a plastic hard case, so if you get one, keep the box it comes in for this purpose. They generally have geneous padding and work pretty well for this purpose.
I would break the arm down into as small a configuration as conveniently possible and pad all the parts. Even in a hard case, stocks can still be broken if the package is given a good heave or a good drop, which seems to happen often enough. My stockmaker says he has seen rifle stocks broken that were shipped in metal gun cases.
Insure and claim the value of the arm for as much as your conscience can bear, as there is a very real danger of damage or loss when shipping firearms. Don't underestimate.
And don't forget that the companies routinely leave firearms packages on the front porch, despite clear instruction on the package not to do so. So watch for the shipment, even if you want to pick it up at the depot.
If at all feasible, it is always preferable to take delivery of firearms in person, but this cannot always be arranged.
Good luck.

Dubletap45

What about any requirements for paperwork thru a FFL? Are there any, or can I just have him send it? What are the realistic issues, not just the technical ones. Does Fed Ex even need to know what is inside the package?

DT45

beemerb

Send it priority mail.Its the best way to go.It will have to be recieved by a FFl dealer.You can get the triangle boxs from the post office.For a shotgun I would remove the barrel to shorten up the system.Take some foam and cut triangles to fit inside the box.Cut holes in the foam to hold the gun.Take plastic and wrap the gun in it after oiling it well.
Good luch with it.

jrhines

DT45-
FYI, according to the Federal Firearms regs reference Guide 2000 (The Green Book), page 135, under General Questions- B. Unlicensed Persons
(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfere firearms under the Gun Control Act (GCA)?
Answer: A person may sell (transfere) a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if the buyer (receiver) is not prohibited by law fromreceiving or possesing a firearm.
(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
Answer: A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own State, except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, from a licensed dealer in any State provided the sale complies with the State laws of both States.
(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source...?
Answer: In short, yes, but you have to have the seller (in Florida) sent the gun to your favorite dealer (in Oklahoma), and then you get it from the dealer. Ask your dealer how he wants the gun shipped, how to pack it,& so on, and be prepared to part with a few bucks for his trouble.
The first two are almost quoted from the book, the last is paraphased for the sake of both brevity, and, I hope, clarity.

And I would suspect, that if it is your Grandfathers shotgun, it's damm near priceless!

Enjoy,

John R.
Seneca, MD