Advice on BAR

ZeroJunk

I want to buy a BAR.I like the old blond stocks on vintage rifles and see them on the auction sites.But,I'm wondering,with the modern CNC machines would a new rifle be better?Also,is the new aluminum receiver going to be tough enough to crank down on your mounting screws without stripping?Suggestions appreciated.

publius

The old original BAR and the newer MKII Safari are both good rifles. Most people, including myself, think that the old original BAR is the superior weapon. My opinion is based solely on my love for older things and looks but both of my gunsmiths agree with me based on design.

MisterPX

When did they start making BAR's in AL? Only new ones I know about are from Ohio Ordnance, and they use steel.

ZeroJunk

Mister px,we are probably talking about two different things.I'm talking about the commercial hunting model Browning BAR that has been made since the early 70's.The new lightweight stalker has an aircraft grade aluminum receiver.Bolt is steel which is all that locks into the barrel.I have no concern with it other than the mount screws stripping or galling from being dissimilar metals.Wouldn't know whether to use lock-tite or anti-sieze.The Safari model is all steel as usual.