Advice on a wheelgun.....

tjhands

I've got 3 auto pistols, and am starting to get the itch for a revolver. I'm thinking of a .357 but will probably just shoot .38's through it. Would like advice on what to buy for under $375 or so. This will NOT be my carry-gun, so I'm thinking about a 6" barrel. Let the advice flow! :p

P.S. I think Taurus owns Rossi, so are they of comparable quality? Just wondering.

Thirties

Get a used Smith&Wesson .38special in 4 or 6 inch. The model 10 has fixed rear sight; the model 15 has adjustable rear sight. Photo here:
two_sw_38s.jpg

The m10 will be the least expensive —in the low $200s. These are wonderfully fine revolvers which will last you a lifetime of enjoyment. Six inch barrels are almost unwieldy compared with the 4 inchers. The longer barrel guns are more rare and will cost more as well. Model 14 is a six inch. Some model 10s are six inch, if I'm not mistaken. Handle some; decide for yourself. But have no doubt that a 4" Smith K frame (m10,m15) will be very accurate.

Forget the Taurus and Rossi.
Forget .357 if all you will shoot is .38spl.

2002gti

heres some used gun prices from century arms:

Ruger Gp100 .357 MAG. Stainless Very Good 4" BBL $219.00
Ruger Gp100 .357 MAG. Stainless Very Good 4" BBL $219.00
Ruger Gp100 .357 MAG. Stainless Very Good 4" BBL, Double Action $219.00
S&W Model 13 .357 MAG. Blue Good 4" BBL $209.00
S&W Model 13 .357 MAG. Blue Good 4" BBL, Double Action Only, W/Spur $179.00
S&W Model 13 .357 MAG. Blue Good 4" BBL, Double Action Only, W/Spur, No Grips $169.00
S&W Model 66 357 MAG Stainless Good 2 1/2" BBL Adj Sights No Grips $299.00
S&W Model 66 357 MAG Stainless Good 4" BBL Adj Sights Broken Sight Blade $249.00
S&W Model 66 357 MAG Stainless Good 4" BBL, Double Action Only, Bobbed Hammer, No Grips $189.00
S&W Model 66 357 MAG Stainless Very Good Double Action Only, Bobbed Hammer, No Grips $199.00
S&W Model 66 357 MAG Stainless Very Good Double Action Only, Bobbed Hammer, No Grips $199.00
S&W Model 66 357 MAG Stainless Very Good 4" BBL Adj Sights $259.00

XavierBreath

For a first wheelgun I heartily recommend a used Smith and Wesson.

Why S&W? High quality at a low price. Availability of aftermarket parts/grips. Value if you later decide to sell. Durability. The gun will last forever if not abused. High probability of finding a good gun in the used market. If a S&W isn't working right, people tend to get them fixed. If a Rossi isn't working right, people tend to get rid of it.

Why used? Low price for high quality. Great, timeless design. No grafitti on the gun. No lawyer lock on the gun. The new S&W revolvers don't compare.

I would also recommend a .38spl. Why? Cost. This S&W will likely not be your last. Once you get the bug and closs that bridge, they multiply. If you decide later you want to shoot .357magnum, you have a perfect excuse to go shopping again.

I would recommend a K frame, simply because most people end up loving them. It's just a great feeling frame size and lifetime durable in .38spl.

I would recommend a 4 inch barrel. It's the less expensive, and best all around length in a wheelgun. A six incher is a bit front heavy unless it's a pencil barrel.

Now, which is the best used S&W .38spl for you? That is a question only you can answer. There really are no bad ones, just different ones. My favorite is the K38, but I like the old M&P's as well. The M10 is a modern M&P, and the M15 is the modern M&P with adjustable sights. The N frame M27 is extraordinary in nickel, or especially in blue. It's S&W's Mona Lisa.

You should be able to find any of these guns in used but not abused condition for under $375. Probably around $250 you will find a nice .38spl. The M27 will be a little more worn at $375, but examples are available. I recently walked away from a nice M19-2 with a 4 inch barrel priced at $219. I have to stop somewhere!

Bottom line, go used, go S&W, and be knowlegable concerning pricing. There are regional variances in prices. Supica's Catalog of Smith & Wesson is the best resource I've found. Use Jim March's Revolver Checkout to make sure you get a good one. Most used S&W wheelguns are great deals. Get a good one. You cannot pay to much, just pay to early. Enjoy your new addiction. :D

tjhands

Just checked out centuryarms.com but couldn't seem to find their online catalog of guns for sale with the prices. What am I doin wrong?

XavierBreath

Century has some good prices, but chances are you can do as well or better on the Pawn Shop circuit. Plus, you get to inspect the gun before you buy. That is a biggie with me.

CZ75daddy0405

Check out Rossi or Taurus handguns. I have a Rossi M972 357mag. 6in, ported,vented ribbed barrel, adjustable rear sights, Like glass trigger, stainless steel, rubbur grips. All for $200 (NEW). I have had several S&W revolvers but seem to have gotten rid of most of them since the Rossi came into my home. :p

2002gti

you have to have a license to get the pricing. you can still buy from them and have it shipped to your local dealer but your dealer will charge you a transfer fee, check with him they all charge different prices. heres some .38 guns from century but for the $$ i'd go with a .357 platform, thats just me.

S&W M&P 38 SPL Blue Good 2" BBL $199.00
S&W M&P 38 SPL Blue Good 4" BBL $149.00
S&W M&P 38 SPL Blue Good 6" BBL Cracked Grips $149.00
S&W Model 10 38 SPL. Blue Good 4" BBL $159.00
S&W Model 10 38 SPL Blue Very Good 6" BBL $189.00
S&W Model 36 38 SPL Stainless Good 3" BBL Broken Hammer Spur $209.00
S&W Model 36 38 SPL Blue Good 2" BBL $239.00
S&W Model 36 38 SPL Blue Good 2" BBL $239.00
S&W Model 36 38 SPL Blue Very Good 2" BBL $249.00
S&W Model 36 38 SPL Blue Very Good 3" BBL $229.00
S&W Model 36 38 SPL Chrome Very Good 3" BBL $249.00
S&W Model 36 38 SPL Blue Fair 2" BBL $229.00

Poygan

I'll go along with the general S&W recommendations. Because what we like and dislike is quite subjective, I also like the used gun route. That way, if it doesn't please you, you can resell it at minimal to no loss. Certainly I would also consider Colts if a decent one at reasonable price showed up.

Here's where I'll depart a bit from the above posers. Since you already own three autos, I will assume you like guns. With that assumption, I would look for a .357. Much broader range of possible loads, quite beyond the .38 spl. I would look for 585/686s, model 19s, 27/28s in the S&Ws and maybe a Colt Trooper to keep the price in the lower ranges.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with buying a .38 and then a .357 (and then a .41 and a .44 and a .45 etc.).

Tacoma

Yes to used S&W. Either 4 or 6" barrel. Either K or L frame. Fixed sights are OK but if you are looking to informally shoot tragets, adjustable is the way to go. 38 special chambering is fine but 357 chambering will give you room to grow if you decide. Recommended flavors would be mod 14, 15, 19, 67, 686/586, 27, 28.
Get ready, they are like potato chips!

tanstaafl4y

Stroke up another mark For a used S&W. I bought a used Model 65 (K frame 357 Stainless Fixed 4") and it groups better than than any of my pistols (excluding the Buckmark).

There is a surplus of SW model 10 (K frame? 38 Blued 4" bobbed hammer) in My area (virginia) that were police trade-ins. Moderate holster wear but mechanically excelent. Retailing at $150-250.

Sir William

I like 6" barrels myself. I have the three best made. I have a Model of 1905 4th change in 6" 38 Special form. It appreciates wadcutters. I have a M19 in 6" 357 Magnum form. It likes everything and is sweet in action. I have a M28 in 6" 357 Magnum form. It is a great revolver and accurate. I gave $350.00 range for each one. I also have Colts. Lawman and Trooper in MKIII form with 2" and 4" barrels. I prefer 6" barrels for the sight focal length.

OutAtTheEdge

"Yes" To Everthing Xavierbreath Wrote, Plus...

...a few additional thoughts. I think the best values in used S&Ws right now are blued K-frame .38s (Models 10, 14 and 15) and .357s (Models 13 and 19), and the stainless M66 .357, in 90-95% condition, built between 1961 and 1981. These are post 4-screw guns, so in this condition they are generally ignored by collectors (although 4- or 5-screw guns can be found in your price range as well, especially the pre-M10 M&Ps.) And in today's marketplace, the average pistol buyer/shooter is more inclined to purchase: autoloaders over revolvers; SS revolvers over blued; 7-8 round revolvers over 6 round models in the medium to large frames (the exception being Ruger's GP100); and small frame "snubbies" if they hold less than 7 rounds. Since used, blued-steel K-frames meet none of the trendy preferences, there's simply less consumer interest, which of course means lower prices. Because there were a great many of these models made, availability also keeps prices down, while allowing the buyer a greater selection of conditions and models from which to choose. And finally, older Smiths exhibit a higher degree of fit-and-finish in their construction and tend to be a bit smoother, and guns built prior to 1982 still have the barrels pinned to the frame and the chambers counter-bored (in the magnum models only.)

You can find used Smiths online at good prices, but if you have a little patience, I'd advise shopping around any dealers you can get to so you can inspect the gun prior to buying. Use Jim March's Revolver Checkout, linked in Xavierbreath's initial reply.

Good luck. I'm...

OutAtTheEdge

WillBrayjr

I agree on used Smith&Wesson revolvers. A used Smith 19 will run around $350.00 for one in very good to excellent condition. You'll have a classic that will last you a lifetime as long as it's "used not abused".

ron8903

S&W 357 any mod.
RUGER GP100 357.
Colt 357.
any of the above will serve you well to many ammo combo's to list here
38 special to full house 357.s

beenthere

38/357

You can look for a good Ruger Service-Six or if you want nonadjustable sights a Speed-Six. Both are very sturdy guns. I'm pretty sure the Speed Six didn't come in a 6" barrel though.

44mag@ucnsb.net

tjhands,

You would think this is the Smith and Wesson forum. :)

I would agree that most Rossi's I have shot are o.k. at best, but not great.

On the other hand, I think Taurus gets a bad rap in this forum. In the last 10 years Taurus has made great strides in the quality of their guns. I have shot the .357 tracker quite a few times (best friend owns one) and would recommend it for a 6" fun shooter. Very Accurate, ported, and comfortable grip. Even .357's feel like .38's in this gun. I have several Taurus', .38, 2 - .44magnums, and .45 colt. They are all hanging in just fine.

As far as the Smiths, Rugers, and Colts go. If you can afford any of these, then by all means, they will all shoot great. The Smiths and Colts will look nicer and will shoot fine, the Rugers will not die in your lifetime and will probably be passed down several generations. Having shot all of the brands mentioned above, I don't think you will find much accuracy differency between them. Good luck.

.44mag

ZWolfgang

You've been given good advice. There are a number of good quality revolvers on the market and I think the new Taurus is a good quality gun. But for not much more you can have a Smith & Wesson. Do I really have to explain?

Resale?
Name recognition?
Parts?
Widespread "user base"?
Quality?
Pride of ownership?
American?

Kind of a no brainer I believe. That said, the Ruger GP line is a very close runner up to S&W... equal in quality for sure, but still not quite "S&W". :rolleyes:

I'd look for a used 4" 19, 66, 586, or 686. Or a used GP-100 would also be an excellent way to go.

Here's one of the suggested options:

Smith & Wesson Model 586 .357 Magnum 4" barrel Ahrends Exotic Cocobolo Grips
M586left_0697.jpg

M586right_0700.jpg

Revolvers just don't get any better in my opinion.

And one of my Rugers... a comparable gun to the 4" 586 in almost every way but "mystique" and "panache".

Ruger GP-100 4" Barrel, Adj. sights, .357 magnum
GP100a0761.jpg

GP100a0755.jpg