Advice on a moderate priced 12 GA Slug Gun

Logs

I got drawn for a Fort Knox military deer hunt and was thinking of getting a 12 GA slug gun. I mostly hunt rifle for deer, but Knox only allows Shotguns or Muzzleloaders. I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on a slug gun? Kinda thinking a semi auto? I would put a scope on it also.

Thanks,

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Lots of good choices.

Start with an 1100 with rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. Go from there.

Mannlicher

I would check the used rack at a couple of local gun shops. If you are not familier with the shotgun used with slugs, you need to set aside some time to work up what slug load works best in the gun you buy. Best of luck. Let us know how the hunt turns out.

djturnz

NEF (New England Firearms) Ultra slugger. 10G barrel bored for 12G. Heavy gun. Around $250 at Gander Mtn.

Logs

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of getting the Mossburg Combo at Dick's Sporting goods. $279 for 12 Gauge with two barrels and a scope. Not a bad deal.

45reloader

That mossy is what I hunt with.My shotgun is older but basically the same .

The Remington 2 3/4 Slugger shotgun slugs(green and yellow box) work very well out of this gun.You get them at Dick's or at Wal-Mart in 5 or 15 packs.Cheap and as accurate as the Remington solid copper sabots slugs out of my gun.That's why I use the Slugger more and more for 70 yard or less shots.Most places the trees and brush are so thick I shot at about 35 yard to 45 yards.

I use a simple BSA reddot scope from Wal-Mart $35.00.Much better for first and last light of the day.Missed out on a few deer from using a standard scope and not being able to see the cross hairs in the low morning light.

I'm not a fan of bolt actions but you could get the Mossberg (rifled bbl. for sabot)slug bolt gun. It's more rifleish if that's what you normally prefer.

old 12 gauge

I gave one of my sons a Mossberg 500A camo with slug + turkey barrel, scope and he loves it, for me, i thought it was heavy after carrying my Ithaca 37 for so many yrs.