Advice on a M1A Scout Squad

srkavanagh6621

Hey everybody i am thinking about purchasing a M1A and was wondering what your guys opinions are on each. I really like the scout squad because of its more compact size but am open to any of them. I really like Springfield so i think i will stick to them i have had nothing but good luck from them in the past. But what kind of accuracy can i expect from the scout squad compared to the loaded model? Or what models do you think would be the best. I will be putting a 12 power scope one this gun and want it to be decently accurate. I just want to know what you guys like the most and i will mainly be using this rifle for shooting plinking but also i would like to take a couple deer with it and maybe a pesty coyote here or there. Thanks for the help guys i will be looking forward to hearing from ya!

kraigwy

First I want to add a quote I stole from another forum:

<...Rather juvenile quote removed by Art...>

I think I would re-consider the 12 X scope. You mentioned besides plinking, deer and coyote hunting. Seems to me that would call for less magnification. A lower powered scope would give you more field of view, which would come in pretty handy for coyotes who don't seem to hold still very long.

I have used a scope on a M14 (actually a M-21), It was the 3X9 ART scope, we used the 3X setting to find the target, the ranged it to the proper power setting. But close or long distance, it was easier to find the target on the lower power.

If you must have the higher (12X) scope, then I would recommend a variable so you have the option of the field of view allowed by the lower power settings.

srkavanagh6621

haha nice quote! :) i just like scopes and yes a veriable power is a must! i was thinkin a 4-12 or 3-12 but a 3-9 would be just fine also! :) thanks for the advice!

Edward429451

I do not believe that you need a scope near as much as you believe you do. Nothing that you listed as a use for the rifle necessitates a scope. You just need to learn to shoot a little better. That rifle will doit with or without a scope. I have found that I can shoot fairly well at a distance without the same clarity of view that I would have with a scope. It's seems to be all about hold and steadiness, and breathing and getting the same sight picture, even if you can't see the bullseye at that distance. I hope I am explaining this right. Pay attention to your sight picture and trigger pull and with practice you get used to it and get enough confidence that you will realize irons are good and the scope guys are cheating! :)

SR420

The comment quoted here was a pathetic response to the National Match M14EBR-RI
pictured below with a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 Non-Illuminated MIL DOT reticle.

In my opinion, God loves the M14 with optics.

IMGP0321.jpg

That said, no more than 10x magnification should be sufficient and you may want to consider the UltiMAK M8 and a 2.5x Scout scope.
No cheek riser is required and you can easily get at your iron sights with quick release rings.

RRM-SCOUT.jpg

srkavanagh6621

well the reason i want the scope is becuase they are fun! Im not saying that i cannot shoot without the scope just that i like putting something in the cross hairs rather than using the irons. and i would def like the regular scope and adjustable up to 10x would be fine. The real question is the Scout worth the 1500 bucks or should i spend my money else where? I am a college student so money doesnt grow on trees but i figure i could trade a gun and pay the rest! So lets not worry about irons vs. scoped i just want to know what i can expect for accuracy and reliability out of the scout! Thanks guys for the input so far i really appreciate it! :)

kraigwy

I agree, Scopes on a M14/M1A have their places. They worked quite will on the M21. I don't like them in compitition, but then again I shoot Service Rifle and they arn't allowed.

But they do have their places:

USAMU SNIPER SCHOOL, OCT 1978

Sniper%20School.jpg

Edward429451

Oh ok, well I own a full size loaded and my buddy has a scout squad and so far, the full size is a tad more accurate than the ss. I'm getting ~2-1/2 to 3-1/2" groups with mine and the ss is more like 3 to 5" rifle.

SR420

srkavanagh6621 So lets not worry about irons vs. scoped...
i just want to know what i can expect for accuracy and reliability out of the scout!

Accuracy of about 3 MOA with decent ammo... there are a few relativly easy tweaks that will improve accuracy.
A tight fitting USGI synthetic stock with a reinforced for-end couldn't hurt.

Reliability is as good as any other rifle and can be made better with USGI parts such as the extractor.

SR420

A new supply of USGI parts would be great especially bolts and trigger groups.
As good or better than USGI Op rods, barrels, and other small parts are currently available.

geetarman

I have a loade M1A with the VLTOR rail system. I do have a big Nikon on mine and have that scope mounted in Warne Quick Detach mounts.

I took the rifle to the range yesterday and shot with the scope mounted and then took it off and shot the iron sights.

The rifle shoots a little high at 100 yards with the sights run down to the bottom and backed up two clicks.

For my purposes, the rifle shoots just fine.

Geetarman:D

azredhawk44

i just want to know what i can expect for accuracy and reliability out of the scout

From the bench, with match quality ammo, perhaps 1.5 MOA out of the box if you are lucky. Probably closer to 2 MOA.

A little minor accurizing (bed the stock, align the gas piston, inspect for anything loose, tune the trigger, etc) and you might be close to 1.25 MOA.

Major work will make a Springer M1A Scout into a sub-MOA bench rifle.

However: The value of a sub-MOA bench rifle in the hands of a guy who has only shot a couple hundred rounds, versus a marksman that can shoot a 2 MOA rifle to a true 2 MOA standard due to proper practice, is dubious.

I'd say change out the extractor with a USGI one, along with maybe the bolt stop, and you're good. Time to put a few thousand rounds downrange. Once you have 3-5k rounds of good solid practice built on marksmanship fundamentals, you might consider accurizing the rifle (new match barrel, smithed-over gas system, match op rod spring guide).

Jo6pak

Absolutley, I purchased a Sprinfield M1a Scout several years ago and began customizing it.

Vltor Modstock
Trijicon 3-9x Accupoint Scope on a Sprinfield mount
Harris bipod
HCBKJ-IMG_0515.JPG

I have no problem hitting 5" steel plates with boring regularity at 100 yards. Shoots surplus ammo nearly as well as commercial fodder.

SmokyBaer

Yes.. You will enjoy the Scout Squad. Mine has been reliable from the start and accuracy, well, uh... not so much in the 10 ring all the time but I can keep them inside the 9 for a solid 4" groups. For barrel mounted optics, the Leupold 2.5x8 IER with QD rings work great.

For some time, I wanted a more tradition scope setup.
Here's a link to my latest configuration experiment...
http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=87750

Last edited: