Advice on a Colt Python.

gfen

Cabelas, of all places, has a 4" Colt Python in their used section. Its on hold, now, while I think about it.

Their asking price is $695, and I'm undetermined. First, I don't really need it. I already have a perfectly servicable 4" .357 (a S&W) that fills my need, and I was looking for a model 29 when I saw it there.

The gun itself shows signs of wear. The cylinder has some pretty wicked marring that's chewed the finish and the metal a bit. I presume its from being left in a leather holster long term. There's also a slighter amount of that along the top strap.

The action, on the other hand, is tight. It'd make a fine shooter, if I needed one.

I no longer have much disposable income around, but I can still splurge from time to time...Is this a good enough deal, or should I not?

If someone can date via serial, its V69447.

Thanks for the opinion...

chuter

If you take a look on line at some of the selling sites you'll see a pretty wide spread of prices ($600-$1900): http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?ab=-21&ag=7 The price you quote from your local Cabela's doesn't seem too bad but it's not a steal.

I have an early Python and I measure all my other handguns against it's accuracy. It's a 6" with a factory trigger job and custom grips. It can do no wrong. That means that if the hole isn't in the black, it wasn't the gun's fault.

If you buy it you may want to consider sending it out for a timing check and overall fit inspection (before you fire it). The factory provides those and refinishing services. Colt will also provide you with information on when the Python was made. Colt has a limited lifetime warranty on parts (not the finish).

I also have a Mod. 29, as you were shopping for. It's my deer hunting revolver and I really like it too. So, you'll need to buy them both. Merry Christmas.

flusher

Cabelas usually is high so when a Python is for sale at the low low end of the range, I would forget it. Probably on its way to being shot out and soon to be in need of a tune up.

The Tourist

I also owned a Python, and it became a very expensive revolver to use and repair.

I think about it this way. Owning a Python is like owning a vintage English sports car. Yeah, it's fun. But you'd better get used to the fact that there are going to be expensive repairs.

Then settle back and enjoy the revolver. If there comes a point where it becomes a financial pain and a white elephant, simply sell it to another enthusiast.

That time came for me, and I sold it without complaining or remorse.

pogo2

Python comments

The Python was manufactured in 1979, according to Wilson's "Colt, an American Legend".

I would probably pass on the gun, myself. I believe that if you are buying a gun for collecting purposes, that it should be in excellent condition. And you describe the gun as having some serious finish problems.

If you are buying a gun for shooting purposes, you can probably buy a brand new S&W or Ruger of the same caliber and barrel length for less, and it will shoot just as well. Pythons are overpriced as shooters - their pricing seems based on collectability.

I have a 6 inch Python in 98% condition that I bought in 1999 for $630. I have shot it a couple of times (very carefully), but mainly it sits in the safe. I figure it is worth over $1000 today, and is really too valuable to use very often. I have a S&W 686 that I use for shooting.

seattle911

I just bought one from Cabella's with a 6-inch barrel. I paid a lot more then the one you are looking at but the one I bought is in pristine condition. Looks brand new. I have wanted a Python since the time I foolishly sold mine 30 years ago. So, I am happy even though I paid way too much :).
Personally, I would not buy any Python unless it was in excellent condition. It is, as another poster said, a collectible.

dgludwig

seattle 911: So long as you're happy, that's what counts. The Python, along with the Smith Model 27, are genuine classic revolvers; the likes of which we will probably never see again- at least in terms of production guns. Those who appreciate these superbly made firearms should get them while they're still somewhat affordable. It doesn't take a crystal ball to predict that prices on these two will only escalate in the not too distant future.

gfen

I pretty much knew I didn't need it, and I wasn't sure how much I wanted it based on its price.

The English roadster allegory is spot on, and while I'd still give a classic Jag a home, you can't really fix blueing without leaving tell tale marks.

I don't need a shooter, as I've got a perfectly servicable one for fun, and I don't do the sort of shooting that requires Colt precision.

So, since the price doesn't seem to be stellar, I'll continue the search for a M29, unless, y'know, a pristine Python should appear.