Advice needed on Building an AR

gadgetguy1288

Well I'm starting to collect things for my first build, I ordered the barrel today, its a Lothar Walther 20" SS, 1-8" twist, Wylde chamber, 1/-28 threaded(im gonna start working on getting a silencer after i finish the build. Its coming with a Matched Headspaced Bolt. Its not an m4 barrel. that said I want a matched upper/lower set. What can you recommend?
I was looking a Sundevil, but decided against it. so what would you use? Im really looking at spikes but i dont know how to tell whether or not an upper is an m4 upper. or how well a non m4 barrel will go with an m4 upper?

Im also getting a YHM 5005 FF hand Guard. Does that come with all the things i need to install it or are there other things i need to buy? like a barrel nut or anything like that?

Where can i get a WOA 2 stage LPK?

if i already have the bolt, where can i get just the carrier group?

What flash hider would you recommend?

Im going with a Vltor Low Profile Gas block, can anyone tell me for sure that this will fit under the YHM FF tube? Any helpful advice on installing it? Im going to order it from Rainier Arms, along with their Gas Block Barrel Dimpler, to help install it.

What tools would be helpful for the install? Im looking to either borrow or buy a DPMS Panther Claw upper block. What type of barrel wrench would you recommend? Where can i get one of the Model 1 punch Sets? or can any1 recommend a better one?

Im thinking about going with a PRS stock, where can i get a buffer kit and tube for a decent price?

Also looking for a Vltor bipod. any experience with it? or places to get a decent price?

Im sure ill have other question that i need answered as i go, but thats it for now.

Thanks a bunch guys.

My Opinion

I would go with a YHM Upper and Lower.

Also YHM Phantom Flash Hider.

I might also think about a CAA 6 possition stock instead. You can get one that holds batterries or one that has a back tri-pod piece that folds up and down. So if you are taking an accurate fixed possition shot you got a stable platform. If you are making a regular shoulder held shot you can have the back folded up and it will not be in your way.

You can get a special carrier and buffer matched from JP Rifles to meet your needs. They carry several different types of carriers to meet specific needs (once they get them back in stock neways lol). Check out thier stuff at jprifles.com I think is the address.

If you are going with a regular bipod and are putting a quad rail system on your gun get a weaver nipple adapter and put a HArris Bi-pod on it. Otherwise if you are looking for a combat Bi-pod get a GPS, grip pod system. The one with the metal in it of course. It is not adjustable but it serves dual purpose as an assualt handle and bi pod in one. You just press a button and the bi pod pops out. US Army uses them.

I can help you with purchasing everything but the Harris Bi-Pod. I am a dealer for all the companies mentioned. YHM, CAA, JP Rifles.

RAnb

It would be a good idea to order the silencer now and get the ATF form 4 in as soon as possible as it is taking 4-6 months for approval now. Get a flash suppressor that will mount whatever silencer you choose, unless you are mounting on the 1/2-28 threads.

Ranb

TheManHimself

Regarding the M4 feedramp cuts:

Generally it is best to match feedramps i.e. M4 cut upper=M4 cut barrel, standard upper=standard barrel.

An M4 cut barrel with a standard upper is acceptable, you just lose the benefit of having the extended feedramp cuts.

Combining a standard barrel with an M4 cut upper, however, can cause problems. Because the M4 feedramps are cut deeper than standard, this combination leaves a lip at the transition point from upper to barrel extension where bullet tips can hang up and cause feeding problems.

The issue can be more or less severe depending on bullet type, condition of the magazines, and gas system length. The carbine gas system operates at higher pressure and speed, increasing the possibility of a round feeding low and hanging up on the feedramps (this is, in fact, the reason the M4 feedramps exist - to enhance feeding reliability in the M4 carbine).