Advice "airgun hunting"

hunter33

I have a gamo shadow 1000 and have been having trouble killing my game lately.About two days ago i went out starling hunting,i shot 2 of them in the chest feathers went everywhere and they flew off.I thought maybe my gun was off.No it wasn't,then i thought maybe im using the wrong pellets so i went and bought more pellets for better expansion.I went out again and the same thing happened before with the first bird.After that i started doing head shots and getting my kills, a little bit after hunting starlings i went and checked where i see alot of rabbits at, i saw one and shot it in the head it dropped and didn't suffer.Now im kinda confuses.Do you think the spring is wear in out?

Lawyer Daggit

A few questions may help.

What calibre is the airgun and what type of pellet are you using?

Has the gun been chronographed? do you know how many fps you should be getting and what you are getting from the gun?

At what range were the starlings taken?

arcticap

I doubt if it's the spring, but maybe a little lubrication would help cut down down on friction. There's an external spring on the Beeman model that I have that I can lubricate & which helps to increase the velocity and smooth the action out.
What distance are you shooting at? That could be a factor.
But it's also possible that the feathers are absorbing some of the pellet energy, slowing it down and lessening penetration.
The best way to immediately disable and immobilize an animal is by damaging it's central nervous system, brain & spinal cord, or else it could have enough energy left to fly away or otherwise escape.

hunter33

It is 1000 fps in 177 not sure what the fps are now.Here is the list of pellets i have tryed hunting with."I use crossman they work best in my gun"Round nose,flat head and hollow point all where premier pellets.im not sure what you are talking about,what parts should i lube?They where taken from 15 to 25 yards.

Niagara Shooter

Your problem might not be too little velocity, it might actually be too much! I know that with steel shot in a shotgun, I've had birds fly off that were well hit only to fall out of the sky 70 yards down the creek because no major bones (neck,wings or back) were severly hit by the shot. The shot travelled so quick through the duck that it just kept going, possibly the same issue with your starlings. 1 tiny pellet travelling at close to the same speed as a 22 short, if you don't hit the back bone on the way through the bird is just going to fly off and die. Figure when you shoot a deer with a rifle, the bullet goes right through the ribs taking out heart/lungs, the deer is "dead" but it don't know it yet and takes a short while to expire. Sorry if that was long winded but just trying a couple examples to get my thoughts across.
NS

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I own the Gamo Shadow 1,000.
I doubt you have a weak spring unless you shoot it alot everyday and put it away cocked.
A Chrony (chronograph) can be had for very little money and will also work with any pistol/rifle round. That is your first step. If it under 950fps it needs repair to seals. There are some airgun forums which can lead you to some reputable shops. It ain't too much to replace seals but for a hundred bucks you will bet an OVERHAUL which includes many upgrades that increase accuracy (less twist of gun when spring releases), much more power (1,200+), quieter "bonk" noise, and longer lasting parts. Shoot a telephone book at 10 feet or so... If it don't penetrate like 150-200 pages it has weakened.
Brent

arcticap

The spring on my Beeman Silver Bear is visible through an opening in front of the trigger guard. I spray Slick 50 #1 lube in there to coat it and to cut down on the friction. Maybe yours isn't the same since this is a lower velocity rifle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020734a23%.JPG
    P1020734a23%.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,270

hunter33

Omg I dont know what i did but i did something!I took it apart cleaned it up oiled it and fired it at a telephone book from about 10 feet away.It sounds louder than a 22. and went threw almost 600 pages!!!!What did i do!!???

Fremmer

Hunter, I don't know much about airguns (except that you shouldn't dry fire them, especially in a confined space, which I learned the hard way), but...

Be really careful about having oil in the barrel and then firing the gun. Apparently, the oil can ignite....

Others who know more can comment about this.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Fremmer is correct...
It is called dieseling.
Too much lube was used. Since the gamo is about as tough as a .22 it won't immediately damage it. What happens is exactly as the name implies. When you fired it the pressure rose to a point that ignites the lubricant in exactly the same way a diesel engine ignites the fuel...
Brent